westerhamstation

Those windows look superb - the shadows and the perspective they give are excellent. I had a look back at your earlier construction posts for this building but didn't see any details - they just magically appeared in the post where you kindly explained the wooden door. Would you mind explaining a little about how you made them / where they're from, particularly the transparencies?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porkscratching said:

They did a fine job...'ere can you make the letters match the paint on the doors mate..! "

Hi, it was something that I thought about, but as the lettering is so small I didn't bother, but just for you I had a go at it and this is the result tell me what you all think it would be easy to replace.

All the best Adrian.

modified_door.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Brilliant work Adrian, looks really good.

Could you cut away the judas gate and set it back into the main door as the prototype is?

Al.

Hi Al, just when I put my feet up after all that sign writing. I have just got the washing in for Mrs W Station, put the bins out, cooked the tea, washed up, mowed the lawn, weeded the garden,

fixed the flush on the toilet. and its not half passed six yet. now you want me to change the blooming door can you not let a poor old age pensioner have a rest, But seeing as it's you Al and it would give depth to the door it shall be done, maybe not this week but it will be done. All the rest Adrian.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Great stuff Adrian, I do like the buildings you've built. Wish I'd used that brickwork on my layout, I went for London yellow brick but that brickwork looks a lot more grimy.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

• AY Mod featured this topic
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bigherb said:

You need an air raid shelter sign, still around Southwark even now.

That one has been repainted between the flickr photo (2013) and the current Google Streetview shot of 2018...

image.png.c5dcff66786d06634ab031c0a0c2687a.png

Mind you, the street as a whole has been done up a lot as well. But it's good to see the history of the wall markings being preserved, even if it's no longer the original paint.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 8

PS here's a couple of shelter signs I photographed in deptford still in fairly good order last year ( there's even a railway bridge in the background !) Both were a few mins walk from each other so obviously a hot spot back then..

I notice the top one must be same location as Bigherb etc posted, the area refurbed and the window made into a door, tho keeping the art deco top fortunately!

_20190712_090711.JPG

_20190712_090603.JPG

Edited by Porkscratching
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for your pictures and suggestions, also your like etc, this has given me some food for thought and some research to do though it looks like you have done most of it for me

there is space for a water tank at the side of the Acme Engineering Works and the arch wall along the narrow road will be a good place for the air raid shelter sign.

Must go the siren has gone off again, or is that Mrs W Station telling me to get off the laptop and do some chores All the best Adrian.

news 1.jpg

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi. 

When I was a lad growing up just outside Bletchley in the 60's. They used to test the air raid sirens every Thursday afternoon by sounding the all clear. It always made mum jumpy. Understandably when you consider she was bombed out of 2 houses in east London, one in Goodmayes and the other in Chadwell Heath, during the blitz and chased down the Mile End Rd by a buzzbomb. I kind of dismissed this but I've since seen photos of the V1 in question as it didn't explode and caused quite a stir at the time. I can't recall when they stopped testing the sirens but it must have been sometime in the 70's. Fast forward to the 80's I was stationed in Menden West Germany and they still tested the sirens every Saturday at noon which, coincidentally, was when the shops closed in town. 

Regards Lez.Z.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, bigherb said:

Another bit of history, anybody guesses what the railings opposite the EWS sign are made from.

Railings.jpg.c2524993fb5d2c2b2d380fc12444dad9.jpg

At a guess I would say bed frames from air raid shelters.

Regards Lez.Z.

• Like 1