The Last Weekend

'CHARD

45 years ago today this light engine movement took place between Doncaster & Leeds, and we know the rest. 

d9007_doncaster_5.1.69_jt.jpg

Photo by John Turner directly linked from http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/7_5-1-69.htm

Later that night, at Hawick, protests took place as class 45 "Peak", D60 Lytham St Annes took the Night Midland Sleeper south to St Pancras: 

45022hawickarrive.jpg

45022hawickcrew.jpg

Both above photos are Bruce McCartney's images linked directly from http://www.derbysulzers.com/45022.html

Not long after that, Lytham St Annes took the route south, following behind the Clayton D8606 which had been sent forward as pilot loco. Both the Clayton and the sleeper came to a stand at Newcastleton as villagers had padlocked the level crossing gates against the railway. David Steel MP was called upon to intervene and is seen here at the level crossing. 

article-0-18F8AE16000005DC-566_634x653.j

Photo by John Goss linked directly from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2300598/How-Dr-Richard-Beechings-Axe-fell-small-railway-stations-old-England-50-years-ago.html

Tonight at Newcastleton David Steel (now Lord Steel of Aikwood) will be guest of honour at a commemorative dinner together with Andrew Boyd, the top-hat wearing lad from Hawick, to talk about events of that night, 45 years ago. 

To all those reading this who are attending, please enjoy the night, savour the history of the occasion and treasure the memories of this unique commemoration.

• Like 6

Likewise, though having helped with the planning of it I know that all those attending should indeed have a fantastic night.  :good:

One whole week ago, we were just about to enjoy Lord Steel of Aikwood's compelling speech.  It was beyond my wildest dreams to hear first hand the legend of the Holm's Last Stand against faceless government bureaucracy. 

A fantastic night that I think left an indelible mark on an entire new generation of Waverlites: those of us too young to know it when this unstoppable closure was taking place.  It was a privilege and an honour to spend the evening in such esteemed company.  I just wish I could have had several hours to speak individually to each of those present with memories and vignettes to share.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

As we approach 47, I have just located this.

Circumstantial, sure, but fascinating.  John Grey Turner, that absolute legend of flickr, travelled from Hull to Glasgow and Edinburgh on the last weekend.

The scan of his notebook page has been here for some years:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johngreyturner/4258974827/

Judging by the page layout, our correspondent broke journey at the Citadel and took in the new and old Kingmoor sheds.

At Citadel, one can safely presume that certain of the traction was engaged in WR death duties.  The amount of Claytons apparently laid up is startling, although hardly news.

Presumably, this being the 4th - Saturday, the presence of 5311 and 5317 from Haymarket is in connection with the final workings of 2S52, likewise Highland BRCW 5331.  264 is also about.

Did the young enthusiast travel over the WR?   I suggest not, but will ask.

EDIT: 5311 here: https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=35202

and 5317 here on the 5th? https://www.flickr.com/photos/69363014@N08/6305987970/

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

5331 didn't work over the WR on the 4th and it's perhaps most likely that it brought in a parcels from Perth. 

Class 24 No. 5131 (also from Inverness) did, but that left on the 09:20 to Edinburgh and I presume he wouldn't have been in Carlisle early enough to see it (5131 later worked the 16:12 Edinburgh - Hawick and 18:07 return in lieu of a dmu).

5317 was on the 07:06 from Edinburgh and 13:00 return, then the 17:54 back south. A down light engine working through Hawick at 22:29 was presumably it heading back to Haymarket.

5311 worked the 15:00 from Edinburgh and 19:44 return.

264 was on the 22:45 from Edinburgh (advertised only as far as Newcastleton), so would have been seen in the early hours of the 5th. It is presumed to have returned north on 3S01 03:50 mail /parcels to Edinburgh.

Bill

PS I wonder why he didn't record Black 5s 44932 and 45262 dumped at Kingmoor, and 44767 which was probably inside the old repair shop there (at least it was a couple of weeks earlier when I visited).

Edited by Bill Jamieson
  • Like 3

Some smart workings for OCD sufferers as well that final weekend, with D260, D160 & D60 all making appearances at some stage.

All of which I shall be modelling for precisely that reason.  I say 'shall be,' 60 is already at hand, as are the future D160 and D260!

• Like 1

5331 didn't work over the WR on the 4th and it's perhaps most likely that it brought in a parcels from Perth. 

Class 24 No. 5131 (also from Inverness) did, but that left on the 09:20 to Edinburgh and I presume he wouldn't have been in Carlisle early enough to see it (5131 later worked the 16:12 Edinburgh - Hawick and 18:07 return in lieu of a dmu).

5317 was on the 07:06 from Edinburgh and 13:00 return, then the 17:54 back south. A down light engine working through Hawick at 22:29 was presumably it heading back to Haymarket.

5311 worked the 15:00 from Edinburgh and 19:44 return.

264 was on the 22:45 from Edinburgh (advertised only as far as Newcastleton), so would have been seen in the early hours of the 5th. It is presumed to have returned north on 3S01 03:50 mail /parcels to Edinburgh.

Bill

PS I wonder why he didn't record Black 5s 44932 and 45262 dumped at Kingmoor, and 44767 which was probably inside the old repair shop there (at least it was a couple of weeks earlier when I visited).

At some stage I must make an extra special pilgrimage to chew the fat over the last few weeks' bobbies' records.  When I do, it will be a pilgrimage made by train to Stow!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Mention is made of D5131 working an 18.07 back from Hawick to Edinburgh on the final Saturday - was this running in lieu of the 09.55 St. Pancras-Edinburgh running late?

I have copies of both the last Working Timetable and Public Timetable and neither show an 18.07 Hawick to Edinburgh from the 30th September 1968 onwards, as this was the booked path for 1S65.

Regards

Mark 

Aha, "The Legend" aka D5131...

As Bill says, she was out on 2X52 duties during the day, and here she is on the 9.20 ex-Citadel: https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=31508

...and she had been previously out working from Edinburgh on the full diagram, this being Friday 3rd: https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=27299

Edited by 'CHARD

Chard with all due respect, I think you've mis-understood the point I'm trying to make regarding trains worked by D5131 on Saturday 4th January 1969.

D5311 & D5317 were out all day on 2X52 services, as has been documented in this thread and elsewhere. However the only 2X52 service that D5131 has been shown to work was the 09.20 Carlisle to Edinburgh, thereafter D5131 is quoted as working the 16.12 from Edinburgh to Hawick - booked to arrive at 17.48. 

My query is regarding D5131 working a service at 18.07 from Hawick to Edinburgh service vice DMU on the final Saturday evening. According to both the May 1968-69 Public Timetable and Working Timetable there was no 18.07 from Hawick to Edinburgh on a winter Saturday. The only likely explanation I can think of is that 1S65 09.55 St. Pancras to Edinburgh (booked to depart Hawick at 18.07) was running late and therefore the resources off the 16.12 from Edinburgh to Hawick (D5131 and coaches) were used to form an additional service back from Hawick to Edinburgh in lieu of the late running 1S65?

The last booked northbound DMU service from Hawick on a winter Saturday shown in both the May1968-69 WTT and Public Timetables was the 17.04 Hawick to Edinburgh.

Regards

Mark

For whatever reason (or due explanation) D5131 worked the 1612 Edinburgh-Hawick (arr 1750) and the 1807 return Hawick-Edinburgh on Sat 4th Jan 69. I don't have a WTT to hand so you're in a position of strength to tell me whether or not it should have run - but I can categorically state that it did run, whether or not it should have done, with the greatest of respect.

1S65 was hauled by D160 that day, arriving at Hawick at 1710, departing at 1713. This had been 1558 ex-Carlisle. D160 also worked that night's 1M82 back south from Edinburgh; Hawick arr 2319, dep 2327.

• Informative/Useful 1

The trio of 60, 160 and 260 all featuring in the final 48 hours, of course.

I don't have the WTT handy either, I wonder if the substitution was done to extract any straggling Teri miscellaneous vans, by way of tail traffic, that wasn't booked to be rounded up by 260 during the night?  Such that couldn't have been done by a Met-Cam twin, that is.

(No offence taken 27016, I wasn't missing the point, I can see clearly what that is, I was simply adding content because - well - I'd not focused on the point, really)

Edited by 'CHARD

No problem Chard - apologies if my post sounded a bit sharp.

On the final weekend do we know which trains 260 worked?

Being mindful that locos could enter the 'proceedings' from the Edinburgh end, for example having previously worked an ECML service, do we know if 60 worked 1S22 north of Carlisle on the Sunday morning?

Also does anyone know which locos worked the following trains over the Waverley Line in the early hours of the final Sunday :-

1. 1S78 21.27 (SO) Manchester Exchange to Aberdeen Newspaper Vans - booked off Carlisle at 00.20

2. 3S01 03.50 Carlisle to Edinburgh Waverley Parcels - No timing load shown in WTT, so booked for a DMU?

Regards

Mark

Yes, D60 had worked north on 1S22.

D260 worked 3M01 Edinburgh-Carlisle parcels on Fri 3rd/Sat 4th ... it departed Hawick at 0002. It then worked back north on Sat 4th's 3S01, the 0350 Carlisle - Edinburgh parcels/mail.

The final 3S01 in the early hours of Sun 5th was worked by D264.

1S78 on Sun 5th was worked by D1974.

Edited by 37175
  • Informative/Useful 1