Dinting Station (Image Heavy)

Poggy1165

Nice station always thought it would be intresting to model .With a bit of playing about you could get the metcafe station building kit to fit perfectly.

Always wondered why they left the station building up on the platform that was litfed.

I last visited Dinting on 15 Jan 2002 whilst planning replacement of some gas mains around Glossop. Saw the shed up on the hill and went to take a look, and took these photos. Wonder what the site is like now, heard it was sold recently. ?

post-6884-0-25935100-1353619150.jpg

post-6884-0-23890100-1353619186.jpg

post-6884-0-74349200-1353619226.jpg

Brit15

Here you go. A group that wanted to buy it to re-open the museum bid up to £149k and quit at that point. Original reserve was £25k..... I understand there were clauses on the sale relating to re-sale or re-zoning which would make further amounts payable if either happened.

Alastair

That report was Two Years ago, no further action the site will just decay if left.

• RMweb Gold

That report was Two Years ago, no further action the site will just decay if left.

Probably betting on the fact that the Consultation Document for High Peak Council's new Structure Plan shows it among several possible housing sites around Dinting with a possible capacity of 89 houses.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice photos, I still find it a very interesting station. I bought the Metcalfe Country Station kit because the similarities are uncanny between the two. Who ever lives in the building of the disued platform that's opposite the Hadfield bound line is quite lucky :)

Answers my question from earlier would have been intresting to live there in the 70's saying that wonder what date it became a private residence

I was at Dinting the day Leander first arrived ex-Derby works after restoration and re-paint with BR paint. The difference with Bahamas with it's (Humbrol sponsored ??) livery was amazing. I believe a repaint of Bahamas to match it followed fairly quickly.

Different preserved locos were there at various times The ROD, the Director ? and I believe the Schools.One of the other residents was Scots Guardsman which I think did one test run (in LMS post-war Black livery) with an unpainted tender) and just one railtour before the centre closed and the collection was split up.

It was shame really that this site was not a success but as stated above it was doomed to failure by the continued support by the PTE of the Glossop line.

A famous visitor.

532 Dinting March 1983

post-1161-0-31267300-1355853232.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The new Scenecraft brick built loco shed announced by Bachmann looks a lot like a slightly shortened Dinting shed to me.

Indeed, I was just about to post the same comment! It's not really suitable for the period or scale that I model, but I might buy one as a reminder of my childhood trips to Dinting in it's preservation days.

• RMweb Premium

I use to clean locos sometimes at Dinting in the early-mid '70's as a teenage volunteer. When 'Leander' arrived 'Bahamas' just had one more steaming as it already needed boiler repairs. It was not repainted from the Hunslet-applied LMS crimson until the major overhaul of the 1980's put it into the BR green in which it looks well today.

Dinting was a bit of an anachronism even at the time but it provided a sanctuary for quite a range of locos such as the two LNER Pacifics,, 'Cheltenham' and the 04. Also they did well bu the standards of the time with overhauls of the LNWR 'Coal Tank' and 'Scots Guardsman' which was caught out by changes in boiler regs, this the only two runs on BR.

A big part of the attraction was the hillside site with the great view of the viaduct and EM1-hauled freights thundering over it (on weekdays). Happy memories, the 70's were a different country.

That old railway shed looks kinda spooky may I say. If only BR allowed the Dutch Railways to take the EM1's like with EM2's in the late 60's to early 70's and change the entire route from the ingenius of 1500 V DC system to 25Kv AC to add more life for one of Britain's iconic railway route. A pity this government can't see the potential this route had in it's heyday, and spend the money extending the old route in its original path to restore the glory instead of making the pointless HS2 route which will cost us tons of money to pay.

Long live the Woodhead Route and being preserved by the books, video recordings of the route, the model railway versions of the loco fleet, as well as part of the route today. 

• 4 months later...

Accuse me of being a heretic if you like but I'm surprised somebody hasn't dismantled the single road engine shed and rebuilt it somewhere else on a preserved railway. With the photos of it slowly decaying eventually it will become too unsafe and will be demolished, the bricks put through a crusher and turned into hardcore. That would be a great tragedy. It maybe a listed building but if someone doesn't preserve it, it'll be pulled down.  

• 5 years later...

Resurrecting  this tread I know, but does any one out there have the track layout for the site whilst it was active under preservation.

Just wondering as I have a thought what could be done using it as a possible layout.

Thx Folks.

It is 40 years since I visited the site, and that was on a rail tour which included a trip through the Woodhead Tunnel. 

The tour (GC Wanderer of 8/4/1978) paused at Dinting where brake van rides were given to those who wished to have the experience. Leander was in the open, but not in steam on the day.

Here are the only photos I took of the event, on a dull and cold day. 

post-4474-0-07811900-1538914548_thumb.jpg

5690 poses for photos outside the shed. 

post-4474-0-91167300-1538914558_thumb.jpg

Brake van rides were in the charge of an 0-6-0T, and the tour train can be seen in the background. 

post-4474-0-38374400-1538914577_thumb.jpg

Another view of the 0-6-0T (sorry, I did not note the name/number at the time). 

This is a picture of the track layout from the 1971 Visitor's guide although it was altered when the triangular platform for the brake van rides was built. Also I've seen a picture of the site after it was first opened and the was a track at the bottom left that took a sharp left hand curve so that it ran parallel to Dinting station.

post-6139-0-55096100-1538936302_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of the track layout from the 1971 Visitor's guide although it was altered when the triangular platform for the brake van rides was built. Also I've seen a picture of the site after it was first opened and the was a track at the bottom left that took a sharp left hand curve so that it ran parallel to Dinting station.

Thx for posting a picture of the track plan from a visitors guide. Its basically as I remember the site and has answered a number of questions. A great help Thx.

Colour rail has some nice shots worth buying. The one of the B1 and the horse and cart at the crossing was on the front cover of one of the steam mags a while ago.

attachicon.gifA8DE1BFD-A832-40DB-9E75-E6B18A3EAAF9.jpeg

attachicon.gif652A1AA7-D356-4E62-9E9C-2A89BE0B2E69.jpeg

Thx for the link to the pics but was thinking track layout details early 1970s. I have a number of pics of the site in the early 70s taken by me but need a bit more info on certain areas. Thx again

Archived