Peco launch RTR 009 range

Andy Y

• 1 month later...

NEW OO9 Ffestiniog Railway 2-ton slate waggons.

The 2-ton capacity iron slate waggon depicted by our model is one of the most numerous types, with hundreds built and many surviving. As these waggons tend to run in long rakes, the models have semi-permanent close-couplings fitted in their NEM pockets. These can be pulled out with fine nosed pliers and replaced with conventional OO-9 hoop-and-loop couplings (supplied) at each end of the rake. We plan to make the close couplers available as a separate item in due course.

Roughly one in five waggons was fitted with brakes. These were spread throughout the train and turned so the brake handles were all on the same side of the train, pointing towards Porthmadog on the Ffestiniog Railway.

The waggons are being offered in two different sets: one with a selection of three unbraked vehicles, and the other in a set containing one braked and two unbraked. Each waggon carries its own specific markings and running number. The sets are made up with a random selection of running numbers. Each waggon is fitted with a removable slate load, which is conveniently hollow, thus giving the modeller the added option of including some further weight if required.

Heading to shops and available from next week!

Info from https://www.facebook.com/PecoModelRailways/posts/1525800497449472?pnref=story

• RMweb Premium

How are the running numbers of the Slate Waggons split? Is it a random selection of 6 in the unbraked pack and a different 6 in the braked pack or can all running numbers of the unbraked waggons appear in both packs?

Looks like it's the latter - I've got two of the same number between my braked and unbraked pack

• 2 weeks later...

The full list is:

57 Braked, red bar - Llechwedd

785 blue bar - Oakeley

797 black bar - Maenofferen

697 green bar - Votty and Bowydd.

86 blue bar - Oakeley. not braked.

212 Braked, red bar - Llechwedd

639 white and red bar- Rhiwbach

757 blue bar - Oakeley

618 green bar - Votty and Bowydd

114 Black bar with white dot - Maenofferen

659 red and white dots Rhiwbach.

335 red bar llechwedd.

Thanks to Derails (excellent service btw) I now have 12 slate waggons.

I have:

• 57 (brake) (X2)
  • 335 (X2)
  • 639 (X2)
Which 3 slate waggons am I missing?

Edit: from the Hattons pictures 697 is one.

• RMweb Gold

The coloured bars indicated what quarries the waggons were working out of, as RhydDdu has listed.

I'm very much looking forward to some more L&B carriages, as I don't fancy kit building and paint matching to the same standard as the Peco ones I have!

Cheers

J

Colour coded probably because although most Quarrymen were literate, some very highly so, in Welsh, few spoke or read English until after WW1.  Ffestiniog Railway employees, like all railway employees, had to be able to read English to understand rules and regulations.

• RMweb Premium

I can understand that colour coding wagons would make shunting quicker and easier but why would a quarryman or railway worker need to understand English to get wagons to the correct quarry?

I don't speak Welsh but I can still see that Yr Wyddfa is a different place to Y Trallwng.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Unless you're colour blind

Cheers

Paul

They didn't tend to take that into account then and as long as they could differentiate those choices colour blindness doesn't necessarily stop them either. I've friends with colour blindness and they manage quite well with most colour combinations ;)

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yes both were on show at ExpoNG as production finish bodies and should be on sale very soon as they are just finalising the interior mouldings production process.

Hopefully around Warley they should be out if they can get enough stock ready for distribution.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived