Peco launch RTR 009 range

Andy Y

Rather hoping that Peco will follow Accucraft's 16mm/ft range, which started with these same two wagons and has since covered a rather nice cross section of W&L and L&B rolling stock- and the motive power to go with it.

Edit: Andy, those of us away from the action very much appreciate these updates. Much like live reporting, the odd minor misinterpretation is inevitable. Please don't apologise for that! Much better than no news at all :)

• RMweb Premium

I do apologise if I've misled any forum members on this one. Peco chose to keep this one under wraps rather than give any form of briefing. A cabinet was set out proclaiming RTR 009 beside which were set out the three locos and behind that the wagons and coaches; to be fair the lower (partially obscured) line did say 'wagons and coaches'.

I should have just left any observations to exhibition-goers and just chose not to give a fair amount of air-space.

There have been a few rumblings about locos around this announcement so I think its forgivable to have misinterpreted and it sounds like the display wasn't the clearest in terms of what was what.

I'm glad to know the rumours were true though and thanks for highlighting it first thing.

• RMweb Premium

Seems a bit daft introducing a range of rolling stock without a loco, so I think Andy can be forgiven for the assumption

Without a loco , the rolling stock will appeal only to those already running 009. A limited clientele. With a rtr loco it could have appealed to a whole new market. A sort of one stop shop, even train sets.

A missed opportunity

Seems a bit daft introducing a range of rolling stock without a loco, so I think Andy can be forgiven for the assumption

Without a loco , the rolling stock will appeal only to those already running 009. A limited clientele. With a rtr loco it could have appealed to a whole new market. A sort of one stop shop, even train sets.

A missed opportunity

It seemed to have worked for them with N gauge wagons.

I'm really glad they've taken the plunge. The coaches look very appealing!

• RMweb Gold

A missed opportunity

It does seem a slightly odd commercial decision since I think most people would regard building a loco as the main hurdle of getting into 009, rather than the rolling stock, but perhaps this will stir up some interest and make a loco viable, if one isn't already in someone's plans. It's a good development but when I heard about RTR 009 I was (perhaps naively) hoping for a complete train set in a box, like Roco's HO narrow gauge sets. But still, good on Peco and those wagon packs do look very attractive.

People can run them with RTR H0e locos. A lot of 009 modellers start with an h0e loco or two. Being able to buy a few items of British RTR stock could see a reasonably plausible preserved railway with all RTR, which I think it may make 009 more popular.

Peco don't do 009 set track so would need to make at least a straight and a curve before doing a train set even if they did do a loco. L&B locos wouldn't seem like the obvious first choice to me - something a bit smaller, cheaper and a bit more generic looking would be a bit less risky. Edward Thomas perhaps as that already has two real railways and one fictional one, and is fairly similar to locos on other lines.

I think it's a real positive that ready to run 009 wagons are being produced so a huge well done to all involved at PECO. However why do you think they decided to make SR and L&BR rolling stock when Glyn valley Stock would have at least complimented their existing Glyn Valley Tramway engine and to my mind been the next step in their 00-9 production?

As new topics cant be started here Ill just add this info being as its still a Peco product albeit 4mm.

New extra long turnouts have been developed in Code 75 finescale (concrete sleeper) along the same sort of lines as the 83Line No.#8 US style turnouts but of course to British type 4mm standards. These will measure approx. 12 and 3.4 inches in length so are a fair bit longer than the normal large radius turnouts and may prove particularly useful to folk if you want smoother and/or faster crossovers and switches. No mention of the concrete sleeper version being released in large radius or curved.

Unlikely to be on sale until around this time next year according the Peco rep but are in the pipeline.

• RMweb Premium

Seems, to me, a slightly strange (though welcome!) choice for Peco...I always assumed they liked "The Great Little Trains of Wales" style narrow gauge....

The L&B open wagon and van have been available as kits in 7mmNG for many years along with various different 'panels' to make up L&B style coaches, even though their 7mmNG locos are of Welsh prototypes. I did suggest to Andrew that they should look at introducing ready to run in the larger scale which he didn't dismiss outright as he said that now they have suitable CAD designs it would be easy to produce a larger version - but if it happens it would be a long term project

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I think you're right, but "Lyd" is currently working on the WHR, so a link with the L&B already exists in GLTW territory.

Being 'orribly pedantic 'Lyd; is currently standing in the NEC ;) (although at the opposite end of the hall from the Peco stand and in the company of more L&B/L&Bish layouts that you can shake a stick at).

I was very surprised to see the 00-9 L&B stock at Warley today and I must admit the samples looked very good.

It seems that the models will be manufactured at Beer and being close to their customers bodes well for supply.No worrying about short runs at the overseas factory and selling out quickly.

As for the L&B loco situation Bachmann has the data for the Baldwin 'LYN' so maybe PECO knows something we don't, but modellers would want the signature locos - the Manning Wardles too.

After this surprise what is next - LEW gets found?

• RMweb Gold

I should have just left any observations to exhibition-goers and just chose not to give a fair amount of air-space.

Andy, hope my post didn't seem a criticism, I actually tried to find you to tell you but you weren't on the BRM stand so I just tried to clarify as I was aware of the history of those models. I did go and see them to make sure you didn't have a briefing that Andrew hadn't mentioned earlier.

I agree putting the RTR flyer behind the existing kits was asking for misinterpretation ;)

As to the reason for the surprise Peco intended to announce it in the Current modeller but as the models were delayed by a correction they pulled it leaving RM with a blank page and the planning guide had already gone to proof. That started the rumours and then Peco decided to release it at the show.

I have to say, for me as a long-time 009 modeller, this is fantastic news. I see the wagons will be available unlettered - a good move considering the "freelance" nature of many 009 layouts, and they'll be on my wishlist next year! I fear the coaches will be too long for Awngate, I wonder if I could find space for a larger layout 39.gif

Anyway hats off to PECO. True, it's not a loco, for which there has been much speculation, but thinking about it this makes sense. PECO rarely venture into making locomotives, but the stock will be manufactured using tools they already have. There is investment in moulding dies, but the wheels are probably from their own range, so as Paul has said there is no reliance on other suppliers. This means they can afford to go for a long-term return rather than gamble on selling a batch of foreign-made locos in a short time. That just isn't their business.

However for a manufacturer considering 009 the lack of stock will surely have been a concern, so this move really does pave the way for more developments, I expect there will be interest in how well these products sell too! Conversely, sales of RTR stock will be limited when there is no RTR loco to pull them, so perhaps PECO are in-the-know? Right now I think the chances of that are higher than ever!

The one trouble with 009 locos is finding a suitable chassis, I think if a RTR British outline 009 loco is to be launched it may have to be one of the following:-

The L&BR 2-4-2T LYN

The L&BR Manning Wardle's

A Vale of Rheidol 2-6-2T

The FR Mountaineer in as built version or in anyone of the modified versions (for possible WW1 layouts)

of how about WHR Russell

and one of the WLLR locos

An early problem with 009 was the poor running so I don't think we will get a RTR 0-4-0 but then I could be wrong

Done to modern standards and used on live frogs theres no reason for a 0-4-0 not to run well. Weight is probably one of the key things to get right, my Ibertren powered 009 0-4-0s crawl happily over points probably as a result of the heavy die cast bodies rather than any quality in the chassis. Have to say I am in the "why no loco" view on this, putting together a Parkside, for example, 009 wagon kit for example is not particularly tasking and the availiability of some rtr British 009 locos and stock is long overdue. There is the problem of getting a prototype of wide interest and I am not convinced the L&B is that - more useful on wide basis would have been a range modelled on the army WW1 locos and stock.

A missed opportunity

I reckon that Peco might have an idea what they're doing - 009 is quite healthy as it is, clearly it must be for them to persue a range like this.

And do you know what, it might encourage people to do some modelling with the locos! :O

Hey, Andy! Don't get daft on us!

We who are thousands of miles away (or even closer but cannot make it for a variety of reasons) rely on your even handed (human) reportage....

Please keep it up.

All the best, Pete.

In the spirit of earlier....... "thousands of miles? Try ten thousand plus miles my lad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Cheers,

Peter C.,

Western Australia, (where the the sun is still shining like a newly-shopped O2 smokebox!!).

• RMweb Gold

I reckon that Peco might have an idea what they're doing - 009 is quite healthy as it is, clearly it must be for them to persue a range like this.

And do you know what, it might encourage people to do some modelling with the locos! :O

Which is the only way to have british outline locos in 009. However, as there are plenty of whitemetal kits and chassis to run them on it is not as daunting as it might be, especially if like me you have no skills in soldering brass.

I think it is good news that they are producing these wagons and coaches even though they are on the larger side of 009 stock. As for a loco, I actually felt quite disappointed for a perverse reason. "Does that mean I will not have to build one then?" is what I thought.

Still an r-t-r loco would be welcome as it would encourage people to dabble in 009 and hopefully take the plunge. Also, you can still see 009 locos doing what they were built to do, pulling heavy loads up welsh mountainsides. Given the investment in 00 on locos that are preserved I woould have thought they would have been a winner, form all angles.

In the spirit of earlier....... "thousands of miles? Try ten thousand plus miles my lad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Cheers,

Peter C.,

Once you get an ocean between you and the UK it doesn't really matter, I find. At least in Australia you don't suffer from the "our insurance does not cover shipping to your country" syndrome, at least, yet...

Best, Pete.

Archived