Heljan LNER Tango 2-8-0

mardle

All happy O2 owners

Just a quick question: do the O2/3 and the O2/4 (LNER versions) models have the same boiler? From the pictures in the inet, I cannot see any difference.

Regards

Mark

On the O2/4 there is an extra band close to the smokebox. My understanding is that Thompson's diagram 100A boiler was a bit shorter than the Gresley one it replaced, and so there is an extra ring between it and the smokebox to fill the gap and allow the original smokebox to be used.

Remember all this was at a time, during and just after WW2, that there was actual shortage of materials, and so everything had to be done to re-use what was available and minimise waste. A lesson for today perhaps!

John.

• Like 3

I forget to mention in the previous post that I popped into Hattons yesterday to take advantage of the Heljan sale.

This included an O2/3, which we decided to open and test in the shop. All bits were present and properly attached, and it ran very smoothly from the off. The model ref is 3913, being 63952 with flared tender. 

John.

• Like 1

I see...unfortunately, the LNER O 2/3 version is sold out. O 2/4 is too young for my pre-war duties...

Cheers

Mark

Interesting, it looks as if their sale may be clearing some lines as the A.C. Cars railbus was also sold out when I enquired yesterday.

John.

• 2 months later...

I am interested in the comments about running over tricky trackwork. Does anyone have experience of running these locos through streamline small points, code 100? I have a few in my yards which it would need to be able to pass through?

Thanks,

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I am interested in the comments about running over tricky trackwork. Does anyone have experience of running these locos through streamline small points, code 100? I have a few in my yards which it would need to be able to pass through?

Thanks,

Peter

No problems at all with mine.

That is good to know.

Thanks

If by 'small points' you mean the sharpest of all Peco 00 code 100 points (about 15" ? radius) I wouldn't be completely sure, as it is a fairly large wheelbase engine and the front flanges are quite small, it might depend on whether you have sharp reverse curves into or out of the points, or any undulations or slightly bent joints.

The engine design is actually for a minimum of 18" radius, I think, but I haven't got a layout with such points to test my 47XXs on so cannot say.

• 4 months later...

Sorry wrong on most counts , the Chimney mine (ok secondhand) was a total mess it looked like it had been removed from the moulding sprue with bolt cutters , its the wrong shape anyway and a Brass B1 version has replaced it. The valve gear on mine disintegrated with the slightest pressure on the Radius Rod area, the rivets popped out of the parts. This had a total rebuild x 2. I presume yours had handrails on the Tender all the same length, 

Different length handrails on the tender rear? 

It may have taken another 6 months, but a photo of one has finally appeared. 

post-4474-0-85782500-1547642969_thumb.png

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, mdvle said:

Announced on RMweb on Saturday:

Better to revive this thread for discussion on the O2 rather than wade through comments about O gauge Collett Goods etc.

Certainly exciting news and revival of the O2 project very welcome, particularly for pre WW2 era modellers. We are promised some engineering improvements from the earlier versions.

• Agree 1

Wow, that is great news. :dance_mini:

I thought the trail had gone cold on the GNR variants and they would never see the light of day. I will re-instate my piggy bank immediately. I might have saved up enough by the time they are released in (say) 2 years time. 

• Like 2

Good news yes, but even if the running gear of the new batch is faultless, and if lower running plate is correctly modelled, they can't claim to be properly portraying an O2/1, such as the listed 3481, if, as I believe to be the case, the loco is to have the early LNER version of the GN cab, i.e. with low eaves, highly curved roof and large spectacle apertures with curved inner edges. It would be far more honest to state that such a model is what it is - an O2/2. The original GN cabs of the O2/1s had definitely noticeable higher eaves (and therefore flatter roof) plus smaller spectacles with straight, sloping, inner edges.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if all ready discussed but comparing the  photo is the model an accurate size,

only going by pictures of the model not actually seen one so can not compare

with other models, just would like to know before purchasing one.

untitled 04.png

Edited by paul 27

• 5 months later...

This is likely a bit of a pointless posting. Heljan is notoriously quiet about development and progress, so I doubt that I’ll be told anything. Still, I’m nervous about the O2/1 and O2/2 as they were cancelled before. I ordered one of each just after they were announced and I’m hoping work is progressing quietly in the background. At least, I’ve bumped the topic up.

41 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

This is likely a bit of a pointless posting. Heljan is notoriously quiet about development and progress, so I doubt that I’ll be told anything. Still, I’m nervous about the O2/1 and O2/2 as they were cancelled before. I ordered one of each just after they were announced and I’m hoping work is progressing quietly in the background. At least, I’ve bumped the topic up.

I'm sure that back in the day when Howes did the Heljan spares, there was a photo on their website of the sprue which included the GN 02/2 cab. So I suspect the work has already been done for this, just need to fire up the moulding machines! Less confident about the 02/1 though.

I don't run my layout much, but my two 02's have carried on working OK, despite reservations about the fragility of the running gear when the model came out. Oh, "don't mention the running gear - I forgot but I think I got away with it!" with apologies to John Cleese in our idiotic times.

John.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I'm sure that back in the day when Howes did the Heljan spares, there was a photo on their website of the sprue which included the GN 02/2 cab. So I suspect the work has already been done for this, just need to fire up the moulding machines! Less confident about the 02/1 though.

I don't run my layout much, but my two 02's have carried on working OK, despite reservations about the fragility of the running gear when the model came out. Oh, "don't mention the running gear - I forgot but I think I got away with it!" with apologies to John Cleese in our idiotic times.

John.

I’m guessing that Heljan tooled slides when the original O2s were tooled. It would make sense, especially as the O2/1s and O2/2s were due to follow. Also, according to Hatton’s, they’re due in the last quarter of this year. I’m sure that date will slide – nearly everything does, especially so now in lockdown. Nevertheless, that’s very quick for something which was announced in December last year, I recall, and would support the case for the tooling to be ready. I love my O2s, in spite of all that’s been said but I would just like a better looking finish.

"Idiotic times." Yes. It makes "train station" seem unimportant. (Not really.)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I love my O2s, in spite of all that’s been said but I would just like a better looking finish.

I'll second that.  I really love mine, too.  They run beautifully and their haulage ability is prodigious - they outstrip by far any other RTR steam loco I have.  I've ended up renumbering and re-logo-ing mine to get rid of the oversized number printing and wierd coloured logos (not a huge job) and with a coat of Klear the finish is now what I would always have liked it to be instead of having that somewhat offputting plasticky sheen.  One day I'll use some Mainly Trains brass chequer plate (from Wizard - really useful stuff!) to make fall plates and then the transformation will be complete. 

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

I'm sure that back in the day when Howes did the Heljan spares, there was a photo on their website of the sprue which included the GN 02/2 cab.

I bought one of those!  Came in very useful and the sprue it was part of was a remarkably reasonable price, too.  Unfortunately when I had second thoughts and went back to buy another they were out of stock (unsurprisingly) and remained that way for several years, right up to the point where Howes ceased to be the Heljan spares stockist.  In the meantime I checked Howes' website every couple of months, just in case...

Pete T.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, PJT said:

I'll second that.  I really love mine, too.  They run beautifully and their haulage ability is prodigious - they outstrip by far any other RTR steam loco I have.  I've ended up renumbering and re-logo-ing mine to get rid of the oversized number printing and wierd coloured logos (not a huge job) and with a coat of Klear the finish is now what I would always have liked it to be instead of having that somewhat offputting plasticky sheen.  One day I'll use some Mainly Trains brass chequer plate (from Wizard - really useful stuff!) to make fall plates and then the transformation will be complete. 

I bought one of those!  Came in very useful and the sprue it was part of was a remarkably reasonable price, too.  Unfortunately when I had second thoughts and went back to buy another they were out of stock (unsurprisingly) and remained that way for several years, right up to the point where Howes ceased to be the Heljan spares stockist.  In the meantime I checked Howes' website every couple of months, just in case...

Pete T.

Not sure on the spares status. But O2/1, O2/2 and further O2/4 variants were announced at Warley 2019. Apologies just read the last few post . Information I have had been stated.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

...I’m nervous about the O2/1 and O2/2 as they were cancelled before. I ordered one of each just after they were announced and I’m hoping work is progressing quietly in the background...

Based on what we have seen in the past, Heljan have at least the O2/2 ready to go in terms of tooling. So it's a matter of their decision to push the button for a production run. I don't believe the present hoo-hah has in any way diminished the GNR/LNER/ER enthusiasm, so if economically feasible for Heljan it will find customers. I recall reading an implication that the batch size would be smaller as there was significant 'overshoot' on the volume of O2/3 and O2/4.

What with the general shortage in RTR of locos featuring the 'traditional' GNR style cab and tender, I suspect the O2/1 and O2/2 may actually prove more popular than the LNER period class parts. (In 'mutter, mutter,' mode, my belief is that a J6 would have been a much superior choice, but there 'tis...)

• Like 4