Heljan LNER Tango 2-8-0

mardle

Guest Max Stafford

I think it involved people being lightly assaulted by various orange-coloured clowns after swigging the stuff.

See also "You've been Tango'd", etc.

Sounds like the west of Scotland on the 12th of July.

Dave.

Note to Heljan.... Keep going NORTH!

I did my best while at Warley. I tried to explain that the railway territories of the whole UK coast facing the North Sea had enough steam prototypes of elegant form and splendid performance not presently available RTR in OO to keep them busy making models for a century at present rates. The guy I was speaking to looked a little surprised, but remarked that there was much opportunity then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thank you Heljan. You have just allowed me to be able to almost complete the loco type allocation to 36E GC in 1963 using RTR products.

I can sell loads of stuff I thought I might need one day to fund these; BR 4MT, B1, 02, 04, WD

I can utilise some existing stock; Gronk 08s and existing B1 (already a 36E loco - Dapol body and Comet frames/motion etc.)

I have a DMR K1 to build and an old DJH WD.

If I was really brave I'd go for 1961, however that means building some London Road J6s. I'd only need 1 WD though and no 4MTs.

Bachmann have kindly provided the J11s - thanks.

Now to convince myself that 36E GC will fit in the loft (4mm OO finescale DCC).

P @ 36E

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Just to keep people up to date with this project a meeting was held in Denmark a couple of weeks ago where all the relative information, drawings and photographs that we had available were submitted to the CAD drawing department to see if there was sufficient material available for the project to proceed from now on. I am pleased to say that we were encouraged by the response and we are now looking at the two versions which will form the initial releases from the project, O2/3 and it's rebuild, O2/4. This way we can get into production the dia.100A boiler and side window cab that will also be required for the rebuilt O2/1 and O2/2 versions for a later date. The important emphasis is that all these pieces will be required to fit together at a later date! It is hoped that the initial releases will be available with both flush and stepped versions of the group standard tender and as you may know some of these appeared on the O2/1 & O2/2 variants. The main reason for producing the high running plate/cut away bufferbeam version is that this was not produced in kit form, as far as we know!

In order to add the variety to these intended versions I am looking for a photograph/image of LNER liveried 3950, which I believe to be the only O2/4 with flush tender to exist in this form. I bow here to your superior knowledge!

Other than that I hope to be able to keep you updated on the progress of this exciting model.

Edited by BrushVeteran
  • Like 8

I can understand the choice of the  flush GS tender as unless I am mistaken this was the most common especially in BR operation.However a better alternative than offering both GS types would be the GNR design Ivatt tender in my opinion. Never previously available RTR, Heljan could sell it as a separate item if they chose, and it can go with other GNR designs like the K2 or J6 if sales indicate that more steam types would be a good plan...

• Like 5

In my opinion the original design with Great Northern cab and tender would lift the model into another category as far originality and asthetics are concerned, making it one that stands out from rather than blends in with other models on offer. Not only that, but the BR (E) people would also still want one for exactly the same reason, as well as us pre war LNER modellers getting something sorely desired.

Also, like 34C says above, that GN tender would open so many other opportunities like C1 & 2 Atlantics, J6, K2 etc. Here's hoping.

• Like 1

In my opinion the original design with Great Northern cab and tender would lift the model into another category as far originality and asthetics are concerned, making it one that stands out from rather than blends in with other models on offer. Not only that, but the BR (E) people would also still want one for exactly the same reason, as well as us pre war LNER modellers getting something sorely desired.

Also, like 34C says above, that GN tender would open so many other opportunities like C1 & 2 Atlantics, J6, K2 etc. Here's hoping.

It is planned to do the O2/1, O2/2 and their rebuilt version O2/4 with the GN tender. The point about the tenders being available individually will also be looked at.

In my previous post 32 I made reference to LNER 3950 as an O2/4 in LNER livery with flush tender. Apologies for this, I got my boilers and tenders mixed up, I should have said 2437/3962, which was rebuilt in 1944 with 100A boiler. If anybody has an image of this I would like to be advised. Thanks...............and  J6.....now there's another challege!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for keeping us posted on this project, and good to hear the versions with GN cabs and tenders will be included.  Not sure whether this is quite what you're after, but there's a picture of 63962 in 'Gresley Locomotives' (Brian Haresnape, Ian Allan 1981 ISBN 0 7110 0892 2) taken in 1963; this shows side window cab and flush sided Group Standard tender (with separate coal raves).  However the caption describes it as O2/3, and it certainly seems to have the original kind of boiler compared to O2/4 63932 in the other photo on the same page.

Shouldn't think a J6 would be TOO much of a challenge......!

• Like 1

The problem is Charlie, the GNR liveried version would have had a different cab profile as the LNER rebuilt all of the original GNR cabs to give them a better route avalibility. To me the difference in profile is slight but to others it may be a showstopper!.

May be a bit early in proceedings, but is there chance of a GNR liveried version?

Assuming such a model would feature its cab and boiler fittings as separate parts (as with Hornby's Gresley types), the alternative parts required for a convincing pre grouping version might be justified if the sales of Bachmann's pretty green C class are any clue. Having said that, Hornby have not AFAIK revisited the original A1 with GN fittings since the release of 1470N Great Northern. Maybe it's time for a GNR liveried Great Northern or pre naming 1471.

RP

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The current issue 223 of Model Railway Journal has an article by Tom Mallard about building the LNER O2 in model form, together with a superb cover photograph. It is a magnificent model, but the article is not about the locomotives as a class, but about the intricacies of the valve gear and Ultrascale wheels.

One point that interests me is the amount of space under the front of the boiler in the photograph, which seems to be more than photographs of the real thing show. These generally are three quarter front views, and in these you do not see through to whatever is behind the loco. I hasten to say that I am not for one moment suggesting the model is not right - presumably it is all to be do with camera angles. But it will be an issue for Heljan to consider, so they get the balance right with their model.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Sharp intake of breath: leading with the O2/2? That if it is the case is a good decision in my opinion.

'Traditional' pre-Gresley GN style cab, Ivatt tender, these are things not previously seen in RTR. A very welcome development if correct, and I would hope it will generate more sales by being that bit different from what else is available in Eastern loco types. This will be a must have model for me when it emerges.

Traditional' pre-Gresley GN style cab, Ivatt tender, these are things not previously seen in RTR. A very welcome development if correct, and I would hope it will generate more sales by being that bit different from what else is available in Eastern loco types.

If this is true then it is indeed very good news. As you say just what is needed to ring the changes among Eastern related stock. Proper wallet opening fodder all round.