Heljan LNER Tango 2-8-0

mardle

23 hours ago, Markeg said:

Theres an update on the Rails of Sheffield shop website about the 02/1, 2, and 4.

Heljan OO Gauge Update - Gresley 'O2' – Rails of Sheffield

Mark

Thank you for that. I’m delighted to see some news about the O2s at last. :good:

• Agree 1

Heartening to see the RoS update lists improvements made to the next batch of models:

“It also features several improvements over earlier releases, introduced in response to feedback about the first batch, including a redesigned steel loco/tender coupling with two positions, metal handrail knobs, blackened wire handrails and more robust valve gear/motion.”

I picked up one of the existing LNER versions but ended up returning it for a refund due to glue marks and broken/missing detail parts. Hoping for better this time.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

Heartening to see the RoS update lists improvements made to the next batch of models:

“It also features several improvements over earlier releases, introduced in response to feedback about the first batch, including a redesigned steel loco/tender coupling with two positions, metal handrail knobs, blackened wire handrails and more robust valve gear/motion.”

I picked up one of the existing LNER versions but ended up returning it for a refund due to glue marks and broken/missing detail parts. Hoping for better this time.

That was hard luck. I got a couple of LNER ones and they were fine. I like them a lot but my main grump with them is the finish, which looks unpainted.

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, No Decorum said:

That was hard luck. I got a couple of LNER ones and they were fine. I like them a lot but my main grump with them is the finish, which looks unpainted.

I got hold of two. O2/3 and O2/4, both were pretty good.  Personally I find them tough work horses

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, davidw said:

I got hold of two. O2/3 and O2/4, both were pretty good.  Personally I find them tough work horses

It’s hasn’t put me off them, I think I just had one that had suffered in the post. If the brake shoes, smokebox door dart and tender handrail had been present it would have been a weekend fix it job, not a refund.

Looking forward to the new batch. The GNR cab is especially elegant to my eyes. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've got a couple of the BR Black ones. My main gripe is I feel the letters (British Railways in one case), numbers and crest just don't seem right. Likewise with my 1361 and 1366 as well.

I'll probably re do them myself at one point. maybe even renumber them. But I'll be in for a GNR cab and tender version at some point.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I've got a couple of the BR Black ones. My main gripe is I feel the letters (British Railways in one case), numbers and crest just don't seem right. Likewise with my 1361 and 1366 as well.

I'll probably re do them myself at one point. maybe even renumber them. But I'll be in for a GNR cab and tender version at some point.

Jason

I did precisely that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

adb968008 provided this link in the 47 thread. I thought it might be handy here. It’s interesting how the thirteen versions fall into three main groups. I hope the O2s (not to be confused with Heljan’s 02s) are a success; they deserve to be. A financial success might also encourage Heljan to dabble further in these waters.

https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/Heljan-oo-gauge-update-gresley-o2

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 13/12/2020 at 09:44, BrushVeteran said:

Hi No Decorum

As I have been quoted as making a statement back in March 2016 I feel that I should reply.

Originally the plan was to tool everything for the O2 versions within the first releases. However it turned out to be too complicated to proceed with all five versions at once so the first releases were the O2/3 and O2/4 which both used the high frame, side window cab, GS tenders and LHD interchangeable boilers. Work had also commenced on the first tooling s of the GN cab, which were rejected but appeared on the spares spue's. The tooling for the RHD boilers (dia 20 and 100A) and GN tenders also never got completed so when the decision was made last year to plan the O2/1, O2/2 and rebuilt O2/4 (ex.O2/1 and O2/2) as the second releases, it was decided to revise the GN cab so that it  conformed more to the prototype and to also backdate it to the original GN loading gauge to make it more suitable for the GN grey liveries. Thus there will be more varieties but shorter production runs of each version. 

So I am still involved with the project and I'm sure Ben will collaborate. There will also be improvements to some detail parts and overall finish following feedback from the previous versions.

Hello Brush Veteran

Could you please confirm for me that Heljan is producing a new footplate for the O2/1 and O2/2 versions? Its appears they might be because on the spares drawing on the Gaugemaster website there appear to be two footplates present.

A new footplate is required of course because the earlier versions had short travel valves and consequently the high part of the footplate was lower as the expansion link was not as long.

I understand that although a different material is to be used for the valve gear that the incorrect connection of the eccentric rod to the bottom of the expansion link is not being upgraded. I hope that is not the case?

Andrew

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Lovely artwork, but with a quick bit of research (as I don't much about the LNER), shouldn't all the O2/4 variants have the same boiler and fireboxes? As well as, shouldn't the O2/4's also have the extended smokebox due to having the 100A boiler during Thompson standardization?

What examples I am looking at is the LNER O2/4 3479, BR O2/4 63924, and BR O2/1 63923, along with the other variant exmaples.   

• Agree 1

That is well observed. 3479 is indeed depicted as an O2/3. It was given a side window cab before the outbreak of war but not converted to an O2/4 until 1943. The boiler depicted in the artwork would be correct until October 1943; just the part number is wrong. After conversion, the boiler would have looked like that on 63924. The latter is the same locomotive following the 1946 and BR renumberings.

The artwork is neatly laid out on the Heljan UK website but there are other points to note. 3922 is described as 3481; probably carried over from the locomotive above it. 477 and 3481 should have their whistles on the cab roof. It’s to be hoped that the illustrations have been picked to show the livery samples without bothering to much about making sure that the correct variant is depicted and that it will all come right in the models.

The GNR lining on 477 looks very attractive. The tender isn’t lined, which is correct according to the Green Book but the latter states that the lining was white. I don’t think I would mind much if Heljan produces white-black-white lining – it looks so good.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2022 at 00:53, No Decorum said:

That is well observed. 3479 is indeed depicted as an O2/3. It was given a side window cab before the outbreak of war but not converted to an O2/4 until 1943. The boiler depicted in the artwork would be correct until October 1943; just the part number is wrong. After conversion, the boiler would have looked like that on 63924. The latter is the same locomotive following the 1946 and BR renumberings.

The artwork is neatly laid out on the Heljan UK website but there are other points to note. 3922 is described as 3481; probably carried over from the locomotive above it. 477 and 3481 should have their whistles on the cab roof. It’s to be hoped that the illustrations have been picked to show the livery samples without bothering to much about making sure that the correct variant is depicted and that it will all come right in the models.

The GNR lining on 477 looks very attractive. The tender isn’t lined, which is correct according to the Green Book but the latter states that the lining was white. I don’t think I would mind much if Heljan produces white-black-white lining – it looks so good.

According to Yeadon as well,  the GNR lining was white, also it  does not seem to have the taller GN chimney.  Maybe these will corrected on the samples.  A June 2022 deliveryseems very optimistic to me.

On 28/04/2022 at 23:53, No Decorum said:

17 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

According to Yeadon as well,  the GNR lining was white, also it  does not seem to have the taller GN chimney.  Maybe these will corrected on the samples.  A June 2022 deliveryseems very optimistic to me.

Looking at both the 'Green Book' and 'Yeadon' I conclude that white-black-white is correct for the tender on 477.  The Green Book has this to say about liveries "The first paintings of G.N.R. Nos. 461 and 477-86 were grey with white lining on the engine. No. 461's tender was unique in having a single white lining in a panel with scalloped corners, which however failed to survive the general repair in July 1920." 461 was built in 1918 and numbered in the series devoted to O1 (2-cyl) engines. Possibly some wartime economies limited the attention to lining as other O1s appear in plain grey. The photo of O2/1 on p28 of Yeadon shows white-black-white lining on the tender of No. 483 which I take to be genuine for this GN series. Photo also shows whistle on the cab roof.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Tramshed said:

Looking at both the 'Green Book' and 'Yeadon' I conclude that white-black-white is correct for the tender on 477.  The Green Book has this to say about liveries "The first paintings of G.N.R. Nos. 461 and 477-86 were grey with white lining on the engine. No. 461's tender was unique in having a single white lining in a panel with scalloped corners, which however failed to survive the general repair in July 1920." 461 was built in 1918 and numbered in the series devoted to O1 (2-cyl) engines. Possibly some wartime economies limited the attention to lining as other O1s appear in plain grey. The photo of O2/1 on p28 of Yeadon shows white-black-white lining on the tender of No. 483 which I take to be genuine for this GN series. Photo also shows whistle on the cab roof.

Hm. Most useful. Could Heljan under the guiding hand of Ben Jones be right after all? I’m pretty confident that Ben knows his stuff and is unlikely to conjure a lining scheme out of thin air. As for the rest, it does seem as if the artwork has been performed on a mix of inappropriate types. I hope Ben will appear on here to reassure us.

The O2 hasn’t attracted a great deal of comment, which rather worries me. I hope very much that it is a project which is commercially successful for Heljan. If it is, then not only Heljan but others, such as Accurascale and Bachmann*, are noted for being willing to launch a tooling which provides for many variations. O4/2 – O4/8 and O5 perhaps?

* Admittedly mostly for diesels.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2022 at 17:51, No Decorum said:

I had to get the GN variant to go with my O2/3, after all "<It takes two to Tango!!!"

All I need now is a load of RTR GN coal wagons plus a GN brake van - is the Hornby LNER "Toad" based on a GN van?

The RTR LNER brake vans, long and short wheelbase, are have historically almost always been only of the later steel-ducket type. The short wheelbase type, with earlier timber duckets, is similar to a final type North Eastern brake van, enlarged, but nothing like the GNR brake vans. You'll have to build, or scour the overpriced realms of eBay and suchlike if you want either GNR brake vans or GNR coal wagons , which were certainly not of RCH pattern. Even the myriad RTR private owner coal wagons are unlikely to be right, as they are virtually all of the larger post-1923 pattern.

Edited by gr.king
Correction in italics after new info
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hornby does the wooden ducket version as well. Toad B.

You might have to search for them as I think they're sold out from most retailers.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/337837/hornby_r6833a_lner_20_ton_toad_b_brake_van_140526_in_lner_bauxite/stockdetail

I already had a couple Parkside ones so didn't bother. Some details of them here.

https://www.steve-banks.org/modelling/186-lner-early-goods-brake-van

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1