Heljan LNER Tango 2-8-0

mardle

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see October's Railway Modeller has a couple of CAD images of Heljan's ready to run OO9 Lynton and Barnstaple 2-6-2 loco. As that was announced in February, some 3 months behind the LNER O2 2-8-0, it begs the question: are we going to see CAD images for the O2 sometime soon?

Is anyone able to report known progress with the O2?

John

I see October's Railway Modeller has a couple of CAD images of Heljan's ready to run OO9 Lynton and Barnstaple 2-6-2 loco. As that was announced in February, some 3 months behind the LNER O2 2-8-0, it begs the question: are we going to see CAD images for the O2 sometime soon?

Is anyone able to report known progress with the O2?

John

The Heljan LNER Tango 2-8-0 is progressing well, the first part of the programme is to ensure that all the component parts fit with each other in all 5 variations of the model. Once further progress has been made on this to the satisfaction of the aforementioned criteria, then no doubt CAD images will be released.

Even though it will only be released one version at a time it is imperative that advance planning takes place for the future versions at this early stage to enable the sustainability of the whole project. However so far it is looking good and on target but the O2 as a locomotive is a rather complex subject!

Edited by BrushVeteran

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm sure the high price won't put off GNR and other modellers who really want one of these, but for someone like me, who'd like but doesn't really need one, it does seem prohibitive.  

As they say in this day and age ( ugh! ) ,we have to 'wake up and smell the coffee'.Those who want one will buy one.This is the way the world turns,I'm afraid.

I have not,incidentally,heard any such complaints about the forthcoming Beyer-G.

Totally agree with that.  Also, just been looking for another  Heljan loco, the Danish litra E pacific (in HO).  Available from model shops in Denmark, the price for the DC version is 3195 krone.  Current exchange rate, 8.9 DK to the pound.  So £150 for a model of a large steam loco versus £360 for a model of a large steam loco (in the manufacturer's home market) isn't looking quite so bad....

It's expensive but if it's any good I'll buy one. Sure the £150 English pounds going to stop people buying one on impulse but I'm confident that if it's a good model then I think UK buyers will pay that. The salad days of bargain high quality UK outline are long gone I'm afraid.

I'm sure the high price won't put off GNR and other modellers who really want one of these, but for someone like me, who'd like but doesn't really need one, it does seem prohibitive.  

A very true statement about the enthusiasm of GNR area modellers, but maybe just a small underestimation of the madness of our enthusiasm - I have already pre-ordered five.

• Like 1

The cad drawings look good.  Those who are more knowledgable about the details will obviously know if they are correct or there are to be some minor tweeks.

I was disppointed that the original GNR cab version is not in the mix.  So won't be buying one of these with the side windows.

But the price of an GNR cab will shoot up higher if it gets produced and that is likely to be 2016-7.  That would be a different matter, I would fork out good money for one.

I have a Thompson 01, a Robinson 04 and a Stanier 8F (LNER 06), so more than enough 2-8-0's.

Mark in OZ.

Whisper this quietly as well, but there is no such thing as having more than enough 2-8-0s on an ex-GNR/LNER layout. ;)  You must have at least half a dozen WDs. Bankruptcy is the only option for the ER modeller.

• Like 1

... I'm confident that if it's a good model then I think UK buyers will pay that. The salad days of bargain high quality UK outline are long gone I'm afraid.

Yup. If it matches what I have seen of the Garratt as exhibited on Heljan's stand, then it will be worth the money. We dry siders are used to paying the price of kits to get the stuff we want: RTR remains cheaper...

Mark in Oz so needs an O7 (WD)! Comes with one of the best steam chassis ever offered in plastic bodied RTR OO, and the overall rendition is very good. Adding to its charms, can still be got for a soon to be 'nostalgic' price.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

Thanks guys for the advice. 

I didn't know whether to select the 'thanks' or the 'funny' icon.  May just have to look into a 07 - WD.  A friend has the desert sands model which looks quite impressive, but black is the way to go.  I will check the wallet to see whats in it.

Oh no, I will be broke after that.

Mark in Oz

• RMweb Premium

If anyone wants an alternative route to an O2, other than though Heljan, this one is currently on ebay. It looks superb, and I hasten to add that I have no connection to the seller - just happened to see it on ebay today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KITBUILT-BR-02-CLASS-63937-WEATHERED-SUPER-ITEM-BOXED-/380772750101

John

Edited by it's-er

£150.00 looks very reasonable to me considering this model looks like it will be very acurate with specially made small pony truck wheels and wire handrails. Whats another £25 quid on top of paying £125.00 for other locos one wants. Isn't it just a matter a saving for a little bit longer....

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

If anyone wants an alternative route to an O2, other than though Heljan, this one is currently on ebay. It looks superb, and I hasten to add that I have no connection to the seller - just happened to see it on ebay today. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KITBUILT-BR-02-CLASS-63937-WEATHERED-SUPER-ITEM-BOXED-/380772750101

John

This has been on the market for several weeks,actually. Suspect punters are keeping their powder dry until Heljan's offering arrives.Otherwise,I think it must have sold by now.

"Mark in Oz so needs an O7 (WD)! Comes with one of the best steam chassis ever offered in plastic bodied RTR OO, and the overall rendition is very good. Adding to its charms, can still be got for a soon to be 'nostalgic' price."  34....

Oh no, what have I done.  I was at a BRMA ( British Railway modellers of Australia) meeting near Melbourne today and I looked through the for sale bins and lo and behold a Bachmann WD for A$60, thats about £35apx.  It was originally a Dutch version, so is a little more grey than black, but with some weathering it should come up fine. BR decals on tender are nicely done, just some numbers on the cab.  It was tested before purchase and a very good runner as you say.

Also got an Hornby A3 Galtee More and Bachmann wagons.

Nice layout too, about 32-35ft x 15ft apx.

Mark in OZ

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I asked Heljan at their stand at Model Rail Scotland on 21 February whether there was any news on progress with the O2. There is nothing to report since the CAD/CAMs were completed - link at post 54 above. But I see today that the first pre-production samples of the Metropolitan Bo Bo are now on Heljan's Facebook page, so perhaps the O2 will appear there soon......?

John

I also asked about the 02 at Glasgow and they did say they were doing a lot of research into getting the right detail and versions for release before announcing any running numbers and it would be next year at the earliest for release.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets not forget the Metropolitan Bo -  Bo  and the OO9 Lynton and Barnstaple 2-6-2 loco are basically just another loco in so much as there were very few variations in the whole class of these loco's ,but the O2 is another ball game all together. The tooling for thie O2  has got to be Multi Functional and produce possibly an O2/1 certainly an O2/2 ,O2/3,O2/4 and three variations of Tender with their own peculiarities such as handrail lengths on the Stepped Tender.

Therefore it's hardly any wonder that it is taking longer to design than a Metropolitan Bo -  Bo or a  OO9 Lynton and Barnstaple 2-6-2 loco.

As for price @ Hornby's rate of price increase a Gresley Full Brake Coach R4531E will retail at £81.00 in 2015.

I arrive at that because last year R4531B retailed @ £36.99, this year R4531D retail's  @ £54.00 an increase of 50%.  Therefore apply 50% to £54.00 and Hey Presto £81.00.

So to me £150.00 for a top of the range Tango is not unreasonable. :angel:

..... the O2 is another ball game altogether. The tooling for the O2  has got to be Multi Functional and produce possibly an O2/1 certainly an O2/2 ,O2/3,O2/4 and three variations of Tender with their own peculiarities such as handrail lengths on the Stepped Tender.

Therefore it's hardly any wonder that it is taking longer to design....

To borrow from another O2, they've had to "be more dog" about it....

Lets not forget the Metropolitan Bo -  Bo  and the OO9 Lynton and Barnstaple 2-6-2 loco are basically just another loco in so much as there were very few variations in the whole class of these loco's ,but the O2 is another ball game all together. The tooling for thie O2  has got to be Multi Functional and produce possibly an O2/1 certainly an O2/2 ,O2/3,O2/4 and three variations of Tender with their own peculiarities such as handrail lengths on the Stepped Tender.

Therefore it's hardly any wonder that it is taking longer to design than a Metropolitan Bo -  Bo or a  OO9 Lynton and Barnstaple 2-6-2 loco.

As for price @ Hornby's rate of price increase a Gresley Full Brake Coach R4531E will retail at £81.00 in 2015.

I arrive at that because last year R4531B retailed @ £36.99, this year R4531D retail's  @ £54.00 an increase of 50%.  Therefore apply 50% to £54.00 and Hey Presto £81.00.

So to me £150.00 for a top of the range Tango is not unreasonable. :angel:

I think the pricing used from the Hornby comparisons are incorrect and misleading. First, there is no R4531D that I can find. It is not in the 2014 Hornby catalogue nor on the Hornby on-line shop. the only items showing in both for this coach are R4531B and C full price £48.99 as it was when listed in the 2013 catalogue. These have just been released, having been delayed from 2012. The previous versions R4531 and R4531A were priced at £36.49, so I make the price rise £12.50 or an increase of 34.25%. This is bad enough but nowhere near the 50% indicated. At the actual increase, R4531D, if it is released in 2015 might be £65.77, not £81.00. The O2 is going to be expensive, so lets not try and justify it by comparisons. Recent Heljan items have been expensive, but are realistic as they are based on prototypes that are unlikely to sell in large numbers and because of this Heljan have made low number production runs- Class 16, AC Railbus as examples. I'm not sure the O2 fits that category as it is a mainline freight engine, with the potential for high interest. Does the price worry me, yes, as with normal Heljan practice it is likely to rise steeply at release, but I've ordered two