Thai and Malay models

E3109

Hi fellas, been a long time lurker and thanks for the site, a brilliant resource. My first post, so here goes. Sold most of my British outline stuff in the last year or two, trying to concentrate on models you can't buy...namely Malay and Thai prototypes.

Here are a few photos (don't be too critical please!), hope you like them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barang_shkoot/sets/72157631802168288/

Anyone who has ventured into this subject here, if so any advice would be appreciated. The recent, occasional series of articles by Wim Harthoorn in Continental Modeller have been a godsend, although he models to a different scale/gauge.

• Like 12

What Scale are you doing them in ? I took some pics of one of the GE shovel nose last year thinking of making a model of it, one thing I can't decide how to do is the grills, the are very see-through on the original.

IMG_7048.JPG

rest of album here - https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

er, it's OOm, if that makes sense! Only because I started off with the BREL 158.

Grilles on a GEK/Shovelnose aren't too difficult really, the real thing often has different pitches anyway, which I've replicated.

I often wonder if I should've gone for S Scale or 5mm/ft, as regauging to 12mm isn't something I enjoy doing! Stuck with it now though as far too much stock in the works.

On the plus side, as FMSR/KTMB had a lot of EE locos, the 4mm scale etches are just the job.

The Australian manufacturers Powerline produced the NSW class 48 ALCO , which as per the recent article in Continental Modeller can be converted to represent an Indian YDM-4 (as used in Malaysia). Also for Malaysia the Blue Tiger was produced by Mehano , I'm not sure exactly how accurate this is to produce the Malay variant but a good starting point nonetheless.

Interesting choice of subject , thanks for showing us

• Like 1

Nice models. The railways of Thailand are very interesting. We were there last year and had a day out to the River Kwai bridge, and a buffet lunch on a river boat, trip run by the railway company.

post-6884-0-63779800-1353867426.jpg

We actually found a model train shop in Bangkok, in the vast Chatuchak market in Bangkok, in the mulit storey bit to one side. A bit pricey, but I found a couple of usefull things.

About 18 or so years ago went by train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on the overnight train - a superb trip it was, though I gave the "Water Bug Soup" on the restraunt car menu a miss !!.

Wonderfull country, can't wait to return.

Brit 15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 1

You can get the former Japanese sleeper coaches in their HO scale by TOMIX and Kato, ive seen them in Malaysia still in the Japanese colours,

MP

I've seen something similar in MG Sharp ages ago, should've got them at the time as I think these are only made in small batches. japanese stuff is 1/80th scale isn't it, that'll do fine.

Phil, I didn't want to go with HO/OO track, yeah it would've made things a lot easier but I've been used to seeing 'too narrow' track as a long time British OO modeller and I thought it best to continue the theme! By my reckoning HOm/TT track in 4mm/ft is 3' 0", 3 3/8ths" too narrow is a discrepancy I can live with, whereas HO/OO track in 4mm/ft is about 10" too wide, for metre gauge.

Apollo, thanks for the tip off about the model railway shop in BKK, will seek it out this time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello. I've just joined this forum although I've been on many other rail forums over the last few years and thought you might be interested in my modelling of Thai Railways. I thought long and hard about what scale to model S.R.T after finding the fanstastic rail system on my first visit to Thailand and eventually decided on the large scale of 1nM i.e gauge 1 superstructures running on 0 gauge track. This decision was mainly brought on by having a large stock of Gauge 1 wheels in stock left over from my 'Mardy Colliery' exhibition layout.

The first model I started was the C56 2-6-0 which were easily accesible to take detail photographs of. One is plinthed at Hua Lamphong station in bangkok and there are two runners at Thonburi shed plus  battered examples at Makkasan works and , at the last time I was there, one at Ekkamai museum.

IMG_2206.jpg

Construction is mainly Nickel Silver and brass. I had to modifiy the drawing I had which showed the standard JNR cab to represent the modified cab roof found on the Thai examples. I'm still deciding what motor/gearbox to put in it.

Rolling stock is mainly plastic card and perspex and so far I have done a couple of C.F container flats, one of the numerous C.G vans and an S.W salt van all to 1/32nd scale and using Slaters 0 gauge coarse scale coach wheels

IMG_2208.jpg

a close up of a C.F under construction

IMG_0167.jpg

Couplings are kadees with the pins cut off

If you are interested I have a stack of drawings scanned in and have a load of pictures on my Photobucket account which you are welcome to look at

some are at http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/nn340/kevsmith/Thailand%202009/ and some are on my main album which you should be to access from there

cheers

KEV

• Like 6

How wonderfully refreshing to see people modelling something entirely different, well done folks!

E3109,

What a great and wonderfully adaptive bit of scratch-building/kitbashing you have done there, do I spy the remains of a class 25 cab and a Deltic cab in a couple of your locos, brilliant! Good on you for going even narrower than 00!

Kev,

What a stunning model 2-6-0 you have there, that is a work of art!

Must get my 'Asian' pictures posted up on here!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Chaps,

thanks for the comments. I'm in Siam now, visited TWO model railway shops in Bangkok today, first one was 'Model Train Shop' in Chatuchak (thanks to Apollo), the other was 'Modelrailroadsiam' in Silom.

Got some rather nice SRT decals too, these will come in handy. Respective details are www.rocothai.com and www.modelrailroadsiam.com , may pay a visit again tomorrow, should I decide not to go out on the bash.

Those GE Shovelnoses aren't getting any younger, after all :no:

Kev, sure I've seen your work before somewhere. Stunning.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Great to see some "unusual" Asian models being built. Some really nice work here and I look forward to seeing the further progress on these, so everyone keep us posted, please!

I do some "odd" Asian prototypes in N scale, mainly focused on Taiwan, but with others in the works. One I have completed is a Thai 2-6-0 (ex-Japanese C56), of which I am sharing this scan. I hope to have a couple more Thai steamers in due course, as all that's needed is the basic Japanese model, some detail changes, green paint and a steady hand for the tender lettering!

I've also got a Malaysian "Blue Tiger" in the project drawer, based on converting the Mehano European one, and, hopefully, one of the Indian WDM-2s in KTM colors, using a Gopher Models Australian class 48 as the basis. 

Enjoy!

Paul Ingraham, Coordinator, AsiaNRail N scale modular group

post-24569-0-49453600-1415667769.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

I've just returned from a business week in Bangkok. There, I found another model railway shop in the Fortune City Mall, which exclusively sells German models:

129%20Modellbahngeschaeft.jpg

The State Railways of Thailand are indeed a fascinating prototype to model. As a TT scale modeller, I would probably follow the NZ approach and do it in TT scale on 9 mm gauge tracks.

Some photos I took of Thailand railways, you find in my Flickr album at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpachl/sets/72157650982510782/

Joern

Edited by jpachl
  • Like 2

After a great deal of thought, I've pretty much decided to change scale/gauge. The realisation that I'm happier building bodies, rather than messing about trying to adjust HO/OO to 12mm gauge, or adapting (expensive) HOm/TT chassis has brought about this decision. From now on it's larger scale on HO/OO commercial chassis for me. Makes life a bit easier.

I'm looking at S Scale, or possibly 5mm/1ft as used by some Malaysian modellers (and indeed, KTMB in the past!).

Not much difference between the two frankly, although I suspect 'S' has won me over.

I was round Thonburi Depot (BKK) recently taking detailed measurements of an SRT 'GEK', published drawings are ok but they do lack some detail arrangements.

No surprises what my first 'S' or 5mm scale SRT model will be then....

Given the ribbed sides of an SRT GEK, I'm looking for a supplier of ribbed brass sheet with a 1.6mm pitch and 0.2mm depth. 1.5mm will be acceptable, but the depth of the ribs is somewhat deceptive, it's only 1/2" (or 0.2mm to scale) and that's where I may have an issue....

Edited by E3109
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, thanks for the comments. I'll keep plodding on, and post pics as the first model progresses.

Just a thought. The Thai GEK locos have ribbing, as seen on photos above, spent a few hours around Thonburi Depot a bit back, taking measurements.

As I mentioned earlier, the pitch of the ribs is 4", or 1/16" in S Scale. 1.5mm is near enough, though I'd prefer 1/16" (1.6mm) if available.

Evergreen and Slater's seem to be the first port of call, I have had a gander at their websites but I'd also be happy to use brass or aluminium if need be.

Corrugated sheet is what I need, although the profile on the real locomotives is slightly different to standard corrugated sheet in that the raised portions are sharper i.e. not particularly radiused.

The ribs are deceivingly shallow too, not much more than 1/2" deep, or about 0.2mm in S.

I can live with using normal corrugated stuff though, if nothing else is available.

See here:

post-10566-0-75690300-1427623666_thumb.jpg

Edited by E3109
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

Gents

I finally went for S Scale, as expected. Got a few photos here, but I can't seem to post either the pics themselves, or a link to my Flickr album with them in.

Please help!

Thanks.

(edit: you can actually see them in my original Flickr link at the top of the page, but I wanted to post the photos themselves and can't seem to do it!)

Edited by E3109

... , but I can't seem to post either the pics themselves, or a link to my Flickr album with them in.

Please help!

RMWeb uses the traditional BB format. To make Flickr pics seen in the forum, just copy the BBCode you get from Flickr into the posting. A BBCode is only available for individual pics, however. For an album, you can only post the URL.

Joern

Thanks for that!

Shortliner, that tutorial is excellent, although it isn't suitable for my loco it will be great for decrepit shed roofs and so on, I assume it's PVA he used in the vid.

jpachl, I think the problem is with my computer, as (on this site only, for some reason !) I can copy but not paste. Just tried it again, no joy.

Also tried uploading from my saved pc pics, no luck with that either :-(

Edited by E3109

Yes - it certainly looks like PVA - If you aren't needing the roofs clear, it may be worth visiting a drapers shop, and getting some fine interfacing, then laying a suitably sized piece into the top of the first layer and then painting over it with the second layer, pushing it down into the first layer before it has set. It will resist any tendency to tear whilst being peeled off the moulding master

The Australian manufacturers Powerline produced the NSW class 48 ALCO , which as per the recent article in Continental Modeller can be converted to represent an Indian YDM-4 (as used in Malaysia). Also for Malaysia the Blue Tiger was produced by Mehano , I'm not sure exactly how accurate this is to produce the Malay variant but a good starting point nonetheless.

Interesting choice of subject , thanks for showing us

I'm designing a YDM-4....

• 9 months later...

Some updates.

I've thrown a bit of paint on from rattle tins, just to see what they'll look like.

It'll be getting flatted down soon enough but I couldn't resist the temptation to throw a bit of paint on (the cream isn't even the correct colour for the locos depicted).

Still some way to go, but 'step-by-step', as they like to say in Cambodia, my second home.

Incidentally I have a couple of Cambodian locos on the way, but photos of those can wait until they've progressed.

Cheers

E3109

post-10566-0-98368600-1479090815_thumb.jpg

post-10566-0-69004600-1479090899_thumb.jpg

post-10566-0-58518600-1479090998_thumb.jpg

Edited by E3109
  • Like 3