How to install and where to put a dcc sound decoder and speaker in rebuilt battle of britain loco

cornishmick

Hi everyone please help

I have a loksound decoder and speaker for a rebuilt battle of britain and im not sure where i have to put the speaker and decoder?

The 8 pin socket is in the loco but is that where the speaker gose or dose everything have to go in the tender please would anyone be help oh yeah its a Hornby loco

many thanks

Mike

post-16520-0-55940600-1353871768.jpg

Hi Mike,

Depending on the available space in the loco shell you will have a few options, you may be able to fit the decoder in the loco via the socket if space is available but you would then need to still put the speaker in the tender. If there is very limited room in the loco shell you might still squeeze it in by removing the socket and hardwiring the decoder in. My choice however would be to remove the socket and wire motor terminals and pickups back to the cab as 4 wires, attach a suitable 4 pin connector and then extend this wiring back via the 4 pin connector locating both decoder and speaker in the tender. The speaker should always go in the tender, the cavity acts as a baffle amplifying the sound if the speaker is fitted correctly

Douglas

Hi Mike,

Depending on the available space in the loco shell you will have a few options, you may be able to fit the decoder in the loco via the socket if space is available but you would then need to still put the speaker in the tender. If there is very limited room in the loco shell you might still squeeze it in by removing the socket and hardwiring the decoder in. My choice however would be to remove the socket and wire motor terminals and pickups back to the cab as 4 wires, attach a suitable 4 pin connector and then extend this wiring back via the 4 pin connector locating both decoder and speaker in the tender. The speaker should always go in the tender, the cavity acts as a baffle amplifying the sound if the speaker is fitted correctly

Douglas

Hi Douglas

Thank you for your help could you tell me what i would need to put the decoder and speaker in the tender? although there is room for the decoder in the loco but not the speaker and so if i was to put just the speaker in the tender how would i go about doing that? i have lloked for a video on youtube but i cant find anything or any diagrams of how to wire or conect the tender to the loco as i dont want to have them permently joined together would be glad of your help again as this is the first steam loco i have tryed to put sound into and im a little bit lost

many thanks again

Mike

Hi Mike,

I can send you a picture or two if you e-mail me on daj.stewart@btinternet.com I'm not on rmweb very often so not too familiar with pasting photos onto posts. Basically you can form a separatable wired link between tender and loco using these maplin connectors http://www.maplin.co.uk/modular-connectors-5348. The wires are taken back into the tender from these connectors so you have 4 wires in the tender for both motor terminals and the pickups. If the loco has tender pickups which are directly connected via the tender link you would only need to accomodate the 2 motor terminal wires via the tender link as the pickup link is there already via this connection. This particular loco may have limited vertical space due to the tender shape so you may have to modify the speaker baffle a little to get a fit but basically its just orange and grey to motor wires and red and black to your pickup points within the tender. The speaker will produce best performance if sealed to either the upper shell or chassis. If the chassis can vent this is best because it avoids the need for any holes drilled through the upper shell. If it is to be located on the upper shell you will need a couple of small holes to allow the speaker drive unit to vibrate but there is no need to go mad and these can be inconspicous through the coal in the bunker

ds

Archived