Control Panel

riddler

Hi guys

This topic I posted in the wrong place, so decided to add it here as the point motors I am using are Cobalt Digital

I have now started my layout and it occured to me that a control panel will need to be made sooner rather than later.

I have already constructed a fiddle yard control panel incorporating Monmentary SPST push button switches. These look very good and very professional and I purchased them from Maplin. However I found that if I just press the button quickly it would not make contact, so you physically have to hold the push down, not forany length of time but not instantanious.

So I have been looking at Tactile switches which work straight away, however the trouble I am having is deciding how to attach these to a control panel. I will be using Acrylic Sheet which is 3mm thick.

As all the switch bases are square I would have to physically drill a hole , then square it out to fit the switch in place and glue. Not what I really want to do. So I thought about a tactile switch that is 6mm x 6mm with the arm of 9mm. That is perfect to just drill a small hole to let the arm through which will give me 6mm arm to press and the remainder of the switch will be behind the control panel. Now this is were I can't work out what to do. How can I attach the switches, do I use a PCB board, or is this out of the question?

I wonder if anyone else has used Tactile switches on a control panel and will be able to advise me

regards

Riddler

•  

Tactile switches normally need to be mounted on a PCB but you will find veroboard will do. The type linked below allow you to have a choice of button though the round type will probably be the easiest to use only requiring a hole drilling in your panel. The data sheets will give you all the dimensions. I have used these on panels up to 3mm thick

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Switches/Tactile-Switches/Button

Richard

If you are using Cobalts, have a look at the new Cobalt S switches that were showcased at Warley this last weekend.

The Cobalt S switches are a mini 5 1/2" high signal box point lever with internal switching and an electronic PCB that allows you to operate the Cobalt point motor, semaphore and coloured light signals, control panel lights and provides a simple form of interlocking that prevents other levers from operating the points and signals to create a conflicting path.

Cobalt S

Again

If you are using Cobalts, have a look at the new Cobalt S switches that were showcased at Warley this last weekend.

The Cobalt S switches are a mini 5 1/2" high signal box point lever with internal switching and an electronic PCB that allows you to operate the Cobalt point motor, semaphore and coloured light signals, control panel lights and provides a simple form of interlocking that prevents other levers from operating the points and signals to create a conflicting path.

Cobalt S

Again

Now that looks interesting. I was planning on visiting the show sunday but no one would cover me at work :O(

Simple in the sense that the electrical connections can be made to cascade or inhibit functions between levers.

There is no facility to prevent the user moving the wrong lever at the wrong time in the physical interlock sense.

However they do look the part, seem to function well from what I saw, and are likely to prove very popular.

As Gordon says, wrong levers can be moved as there is no physical locking, but they won't operate anything until the other route is cleared.

I agree, these are likely to be very popular indeed.

Riddler,

There isn't anything on their website yet (that seems to be the way with DCC Concepts) as the other gentleman on the stand confirmed.

Presumably when they get back home to Oz that will be rectified?

In the meantime, they were handing out a leaflet which someone has kindly captured and posted on to another forum (MRF).

Here is a link to it.

I hope that helps?

The information given was that the Cobalt S goes on sale later this week, as supplies arrive in the UK.

Archived