My detailing/repainting projects

As you all know, I am a bit of a 56 fan. I have a nice pile of the very nice looking Hornby beasties. There are however a couple of areas that have always niggled me, and I fancied doing a bit of a makeover detailing wise on one. Well, I have been staring at acouple of stripped bodies for months now, so dug one out.

The main problem is the roof fans. Hornby have done them quite nicely, but they are strangely recessed...the prototype are flush with the roofline.

9096849368_20949b4895_b.jpg

Shawplan to the rescue. These aren't fitted, just getting them shaped right. It makes a hell of a difference to the roof profile, especially viewed from the side of the loco.

9096849326_61eb666ed7_b.jpg

The other things are the bodyside grilles. Again quite well done, but the mesh is a bit crude compared with the prototype. So, being brave, it's out with the old.

9094620043_ca6da05372_b.jpg

New Shawplan etches on the left. I am going to have to try and have a word with Brian at Shaw as these aren't the easiest of things to fit. I also have some nice etched front horn grilles, and covers for the bodyside holes where the lifting eyes sit. 
  • Like 2

Good evening. The 47 and 87 are now proudly wearing their coat of colours.

9101718887_338fc28172_b.jpg

9103946866_c30446fe7c_b.jpg

9103946800_93eef3f175_b.jpg

The 87 is getting a light kit added next.

2 09's have been stripped of Departmental grey, and are getting redone in good old blue   :sungum:

9103946800_93eef3f175_b.jpg
  • Like 9

Back from a lovely weeks break in Sunny Cornwall. Missed my airbrush! Back to it today.

Weathered a rake of 12 POA wagons. Underframes, interiors, and sides.

9185571904_197abc3c5b_b.jpg

9185576680_8e227f1aa9_b.jpg

The previously primed pair of 09's now have their blue livery on  :mrgreen: 

9183359939_2c97acf324_b.jpg

9183363477_f7a9397cf7_b.jpg
  • Like 5

Evening Lee,

It's all coming along rather nicely - keep going!

Without wishing to hijack your workbench in any way, I did a Vitrains version of 467 a while back - 

here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/24003-vitrains-47-467/

and here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/24002-img-1233jpg/

I think the last time I dropped in on your workbench, we were discussing 47's. Here's my latest incarnation, Bachmann 47 004 ( started life as 474 in postal ) -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/51865-Bachmann-47-004-in-em/

Keep up the good work mate,

Andy

Honestly, Lee, I finally finish my parcels unit, post a few pics and then come and catch up on your progress. In the time I've taken to finish weathering my 128, you seem to have covered half the BR fleet.

I think I'm going to lie down for a while.

Cheers,

Dave

PS Great work as ever.

• Like 2

Honestly, Lee, I finally finish my parcels unit, post a few pics and then come and catch up on your progress. In the time I've taken to finish weathering my 128, you seem to have covered half the BR fleet.

I think I'm going to lie down for a while.

Cheers,

Dave

PS Great work as ever.

Cheers Dave. I actually apologise for only doing half the fleet, I have just had a weeks Holiday :-)

PS I actually fell off my chair laughing at your comment! Enjoy your lie down.

47430 and 87005 have had their transfers put on. The cantrail stripes on 87005 had me driven to distraction, they usually go on easily  :O

9192907101_f20675e132_b.jpg

9195699744_4125c0cb51_b.jpg

The pair of 09's have....

Had the chassis solebar sprayed blue, bodywork glossed ready for transfers, remaining old orange cant rail stripe removed from bonnet ends, windows re added, handrails painted white. I love the Hornby 08. Pigs to get to run right, but lovely little locos.

9195700036_4d0c3f3e74_b.jpg
  • Like 3

Hi Lee,

Well, I came on this thread thinking I'd see at least three more locos finished, but no. Not impressed, quite frankly. Very disappointing.

I see you only spray gloss varnish where you are going to apply the transfers. You must be confident that that won't show once you've applied further varnish coats? I hadn't thought of doing that before. A good idea if it works, which I presume it does?

Cheers,

Dave

I have tried that before and for me it always does show so very interested to see that for Lee it doesnt. This painting melarchy is very odd sometimes.

Those two intercity locos arw looking very good.

Cav

Good evening Dave. Apologies for the rather slow progress. I did have the 12 wagons to varnish and pack up too  :senile:

I hate gloss varnishing. I started by doing the full locos, but didn't think my finishing was too clever. I experimented with glossing only the required areas, and it works a treat. I always finish with a matt or satin coat, this seals and evens the final finish out completely. Give it a go! 

Thats interesting to hear CAV say that, what paints do you use matey?

I use railmatch or precision for the colour coats depending on what I have in. Usually humbrol gloss then finish with precision matt or humbrol satin depending on the finish I want. The glossy bits always show through the topcoat as a slightly different finish for me if I patch paint.

Cav

Edited by RBE