My detailing/repainting projects

6 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I watched the Hornby vid on HLJ - seems like he’s been doing it pretty much full time ?

I’ d think that project may keep you in work pretty much forever !

Hi Rob. Yep, Simon has been working on his project full time for a number of years now. As well as a bucket list personal layout, it's also part of a business plan that will eventually see it on the road in front of the public. Those plans have obviously been halted somewhat with current events.

• Informative/Useful 1

I think it's pretty obvious that, certainly from a business perspective, my main interest lies with improving and finishing locomotives, after all I believe the power, sights and smells of these big brutes are one of the main attractions that catch our interest in the first instance when viewing the real thing.

Having said that, we can't forget the rolling stock that the locos haul. I'll be honest and say I have never enjoyed weathering wagons, especially umpteen of them in big rakes of 00 gauge, but perhaps this will change when looking at lesser quantities in the bigger scale. A good case in point, the Dapol Turbot. Really looking forward to getting some grime on my recently purchased pair.

Turbot a.jpg

Turbot b.jpg

Turbot d.jpg

Turbot e.jpg

Turbot.jpg

• Like 8

Morning everyone. A rather grey, wet and cold day here in the North East. So I decided to photograph today's finished loco indoors....and now the sun is out :( Hey ho.

Back to 0 gauge today...another very large Heljan class 37/4. Triple tone grey which makes a refreshing change from the usual sea of blue. 37411, in faded, tatty Distribution. Nameplate patches have also been added. And of course, the usual Legoman sound. Would you believe this one is off to the good old US of A....to join last weeks 50046!

37411.jpg

37411a.jpg

37411b.jpg

37411d.jpg

37411e.jpg

37411f.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

It's Saturday. Tomorrow is a day off....yay! So closing today with the final loco of the week. Heljan 0 gauge Inter-City liveried class 37.

Renumbered as 37415 'Mt Etna'.

Nose end repainted.

Additional lamp brackets fitted.

Detailed, weathered to tatty condition.

Legoman sound fitted.

Enjoy your weekend :-)

37415a.jpg

37415b.jpg

37415c.jpg

37415d.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Some of Bachmann's latest 00 gauge DMUs have been on the bench. Roofs repainted, detailed, weathered and soundfitted. Very nice models, but I have to be honest and say I think the absolutely huge inter coach couplers/connectors remind me of the ridiculous n gauge ones. I would expect something a lot finer on a brand new hi-spec model.

117.jpg

117a.jpg

117b.jpg

120.jpg

120a.jpg

• Like 8

Good afternoon all. NEW Heljan 0 GAUGE LOCOS!

Well, as if all of this years new 0 gauge announcements from Heljan haven't been enough, we have another 3 brand new locos!!

A fully revamped and retooled class 26, offered in all versions.

A brand new class 27.

A brand new class 73/1.

Please read the following information.

As always, get your pre orders in early and let me know what you would like to order :-)

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!

CLASS 26 RETURNS TO Heljan O GAUGE RANGE FOR 2021

All-new O gauge Class 26 will feature plug-and-play DCC interface, new lighting features and a wide range of authentic detail variations covering 1960s, 1970s and 1980s/90s locomotives.

The first engineering samples of Heljan’s latest new O gauge diesel locomotive – the much-requested BRCW Type 2/Class 26 – have arrived in the UK for review. Under development since last year, these new models are now at an advanced stage.

Due for release in late-2021, this previously unannounced all-new model features a large number of improvements over the original Heljan O gauge Class 26 released a decade ago. Unlike that model, our new BRCW Type 2 has been designed to offer a wide range of detail variations including three differentbodyshells depicting locomotives with or without a tablet catcher recess and, for the first time in ‘O’, refurbished ends without headcode discs.

However, perhaps the most exciting development is the first ever ready-to-run model (in any scale) of the legendary Inverness Class 26s with twin headlights, as used in the Far North of Scotland in the 1970s and 1980s.

Dependent on era and livery, models will be delivered with original boiler water tanks in place or with the later style air tanks and distinctive cradle between the bogies. Other detail options will include original or plated-over cab doors, three-piece miniature snowploughs, boiler vent grilles or plates, Inverness-style round radio pods and later NRN radio pods with square cowls. As required, models will also be supplied with a set of open or folded headcode discs, separately fitted etched metal horn cowl covers and a set of optional Class 26/0 style tapered bogie footsteps allowing customers to tailor their models to individually modified locomotives. As per the full size ‘26s’, one engine room window per side has been designed to be removable for extra ventilation.

Standard features will include sprung buffers, wire handrails, fine etched metal grilles, separately fitted windscreen wipers, sandpipes, bogie and bufferbeam details.

The new Heljan O gauge Class 26 will feature our proven high-performance twin motor/flywheel chassis with all-wheel drive and pick-up, separately switchable cab, tail and engine room lights, an ESU XL pin decoder interface and provision for DCC sound. This will be the first British outline ‘O’ gauge model to have ‘plug-and-play’ DCC and sound capability using ESU’s LokSound 5 XL high-power pin decoder (Ref. No. 58515, not included).

NINE versions have been selected, covering a broad cross-section of BR green, blue and era liveries from the early-1960s through to the 1990s – see below for more information. Suggested Retail Price will be £599.00 for DCC Ready models. We are currently examining options for models with factory-fitted DCC sound, details of which will be confirmed separately.

BRCW TYPE 2 DOUBLE-HEADER!

CLASS 27 JOINS Heljan O GAUGE RANGE

All-new O gauge Class 27 will feature plug-and-play DCC interface, new lighting features and a wide range of authentic detail variations covering 1960s, 1970s and 1980s locomotives.

The first engineering samples of Heljan’s next new O gauge diesel locomotive – the much-requested BRCW Type 2/Class 27 – are expected to arrive in the UK for review shortly. These exciting new models have been developed in parallel with our new BRCW Type 2/Class 26, with which they share many common components.

Due for release in late-2021, this previously unannounced all-new model has been designed to offer a wide range of detail variations including boiler-fitted and non-boilered locomotives, two different designs of bogie footsteps, boiler roof grilles or plates, air tanks in the cab roof for dual-braked locos, sandbox/sandpipe variations and original or modified battery boxes.Other detail options will include three-piece miniature snowploughs and bufferbeam pipes/hoses appropriate for each version. As per the full size ‘27s’, one engine room window per side has been designed to be removable for extra ventilation.

Standard features will include sprung buffers, wire handrails, fine etched metal grilles, separately fitted windscreen wipers, sandpipes, bogie and bufferbeam details.

The new Heljan O gauge Class 27 will feature our proven high-performance twin motor/flywheel chassis with all-wheel drive and pick-up, separately switchable cab, tail and engine room lights, an ESU XL pin decoder interface and provision for DCC sound. Like the new Heljan Class 26, these models will have ‘plug-and-play’ DCC and sound capability using ESU’s LokSound 5 XL high-power pin decoder (Ref. No. 58515, not included).

EIGHT versions have been selected, covering a broad cross-section of BR green AND blue era liveries from the early-1960s through to the late-1980s – see below for more information. Suggested Retail Price will be £599.00 for DCC Ready models. We are currently examining options for models with factory-fitted DCC sound, details of which will be confirmed separately.

O GAUGE GOES ELECTRIC!

Heljan ‘73/1’ IN DEVELOPMENT FOR 2022

All-new O gauge Class 73/1 electro-diesel will feature plug-and-play DCC interface, new lighting features and a wide range of authentic detail variations covering the entire career of this enduringly popular Southern Region class.

Bi-mode trains are all the rage in 2020, but Heljan’s latest O gauge announcement looks back to a classic electro-diesel design from the mid-1960s. Now in development is for release in 2022 is a ready-to-run O gauge model of English Electric’s pioneering Class 73 – our first electric locomotive in this scale.

Designed to operate on both third-rail electric and diesel power in non-electrified areas such as yards and depots, the Class 73s lived a relatively mundane life until they were thrust into the limelight when the new ‘Gatwick Express’ operation started in 1984. Over the years, the class has worked everything from express passenger to newspaper and mail, freight and engineering trains.

NEW Heljan CLASS 26 O GAUGE MODELS

2675: BR Green unnumbered (tablet catcher recess)

2676: BR Green unnumbered with small yellow panel (tablet catcher recess)

2677: BR Blue 5338 (early version)

2678: BR Blue unnumbered (Inverness headlights)

2679: BR Blue 26027 WEATHERED

2680: BR Blue unnumbered (dual braked)

2681: Railfreight Red Stripe unnumbered (white cantrail stripe)

2682: BR Civil Engineers ‘Dutch’ grey/yellow unnumbered

2683: Railfreight Red Stripe 26025 (orange cantrail stripe) with Eastfield dog logo WEATHERED

NEW Heljan CLASS 27 O GAUGE MODELS

2770: BR Green unnumbered (small yellow panel)

2771: BR plain green 5370 (full yellow ends) WEATHERED

2772: BR Green unnumbered (cream lining/full yellow ends)

2773: BR Blue unnumbered (non-boilered)

2774: BR Blue unnumbered (boiler fitted)

2775: BR two-tone green D5382 (small yellow panels)

2776: BR early blue D5389 (small yellow panels)

2777: BR Blue 27032 with Highland Rail stag emblems WEATHERED

NEW Heljan CLASS 73/1 O GAUGE MODELS

7300: BR Blue E6008 (small yellow panels/grey solebar) WEATHERED

7301: BR Blue E6020 (small yellow panels)

7302: BR Blue 73137 (full yellow ends)

7303: BR Large Logo Blue 73114

7304: InterCity Executive 73102 Airtour Suisse

7305: BR Civil Engineers ‘Dutch’ grey/yellow 73108

7306: Revised Network SouthEast 73126 Kent & East Sussex Railway

7308: EW&S red/gold 73128

7309: Network Rail yellow 73212

7310: GB Railfreight blue/orange 73107 Tracy

26.JPG

26a.JPG

27.JPG

73107.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
On 22/10/2020 at 11:30, blueeighties said:

Re-stock time!

brushes.jpg

Out of interest Lee where do you source your ample supply of sable brushes? 

Some brilliant inspirational work by the way. 

The RfD 37411 and Mainline 37415 are superb. 

Thanks, 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 46444 said:

Out of interest Lee where do you source your ample supply of sable brushes? 

Some brilliant inspirational work by the way. 

The RfD 37411 and Mainline 37415 are superb. 

Thanks, 

Mark 

Cheers Mark. I have a trade supplier.

• Thanks 1

Here we go with this weeks loco posting :-) A rather nice pair of Heljan 0 gauge class 50s. We have 50019 in tatty departmental blue livery, and 50036 in workaday large logo. A bit special these 2, they have been weathered as control samples for Heljan's next class 50 run in 2021.

Please note the odd detail part may be missing from these locos as they are purely for livery/weathering samples, they don't even contain motors.

50019.jpg

50019a.jpg

50019b.jpg

50019c.jpg

50019d.jpg

50036.jpg

50036b.jpg

50036c.jpg

50036d.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4