My detailing/repainting projects

Morning guys. Todays featured finished loco, slightly smaller than yesterday's! The marvellous Sutton Locomotive Works class 24. This was photographed a while ago part way through it's repaint....it started life as RTC 24081. As the bodystyle was correct, the customer wanted it as preserved D5061. I had to unplate the no 2 end bodyside boiler radiator grilles, same with the bodyside footsteps, and add the foot rungs. The lining was really tricky on this one, but worth the perseverance.

5061a.jpg

5061b.jpg

5061c.jpg

5061d.jpg

5061e.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good morning. Today's post....lighting. Specifically the rather good Heljan 0 gauge class 50. I discovered a small oddity with it, in that the cabfront markers, headlamp, and internal cab illumination whilst all wired for seperate function control, are actually incorrect, as the markers and internal cab lights have actually been wired together. Which means if the headcode box markers are on, so are the internal cabs, which is wrong. After investigation, a small cut to the solder track of the feed to the headcode markers stopped them coming on with the internal cabs, a new feed to it then allowed everything to be controlled correctly. Hopefully you can see this form the attached images.

50 mod a.jpg

50 mod.jpg

50modc.jpg

50modd.jpg

• Like 4

Another 4mm completed repaint today...this time in the form of the Realtrack 'Pacer'. I'll be honest, this is the 2nd one of these I have done now, and it will be my last. An absolute nightmare to do! Nice final result though, which is what it is all about.

143.jpg

143a.jpg

143c.jpg

143d.jpg

143e.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Afternoon guys. I have just soundfitted a pre production Heljan O gauge class 47....and a start has been made on weathering. I decided to take some pics, thought you might appreciate. There is some very nice detail work going on here to the chassis and undergubbins.

47.jpg

47a.jpg

47b.jpg

47c.jpg

47d.jpg

47e.jpg

47f.jpg

47g.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

Afternoon guys. I have just soundfitted a pre production Heljan O gauge class 47....and a start has been made on weathering. I decided to take some pics, thought you might appreciate. There is some very nice detail work going on here to the chassis and undergubbins.

That certainly is a vast improvement on the original Class 47. Looks very nice

Edited by jcarta
  • Agree 2

On 25/02/2021 at 14:22, blueeighties said:

Probably the minimum one should expect given the huge retail prices being quoted. I understand that the units are not being supplied with numbering or a DCC decoder, so they will be at extra cost.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, APT Fan said:

Probably the minimum one should expect given the huge retail prices being quoted. I understand that the units are not being supplied with numbering or a DCC decoder, so they will be at extra cost.

Not quite getting you. Where are the 'huge retail prices'....there haven't really been any significant increases for a good few years. And O gauge locos have pretty much never been supplied with numbers or decoders. A rather odd comment.

2 hours ago, blueeighties said:

Not quite getting you. Where are the 'huge retail prices'....there haven't really been any significant increases for a good few years. And O gauge locos have pretty much never been supplied with numbers or decoders. A rather odd comment.

Why would prices constantly have to go up? Many manufactured goods actually reduce in price, certainly in real terms whilst the quality improves. The future O gauge Dapol Class 66 retails between £276 (DC) and £302 (DCC) with the large retailers, less than half that of Heljan. A spokesman from Dapol was quoted as saying that the O gauge price doesn't have to be twice or three times that of a product half or a third of the scale. The Dapol 66s all come prenumbered, so perhaps the comment about 'never supplied with numbers' might be considered outdated. I'm not getting at you, just pointing out a fair comparison based on the current market to add some context.

Here we have the first of quite a large batch of Heljan 0 gauge class 37s to be completed. Fully reworked from the original release model, enhancements include,

Bodyside panels and steps filled and flushed.

Bufferbeam cowlings cut away, new ones fashioned, and new bufferbeams fitted.

Full repaint.

Soundfitted.

Detailed.

Weathered.

37008, in typical mid 1980s filthy GD condition.

Lots more of these to follow.

37008b.jpg

37008g.jpg

37008h.jpg

37008i.jpg

37008j.jpg

37008k.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Pretty naff weather today....wet windy and cold. So unfortunately no natural light shots of this beast, which is almost too big to fit on the bench!

Heljan 0 gauge class 40. Renumbered as 112, Legoman soundfitted, and weathered.

40112.jpg

40112a.jpg

40112b.jpg

40112c.jpg

40112d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Good morning everyone. Back to 00 gauge for today's completed loco....one of my very last 4mm resprays. 37069, in glorious dirty TE late 80s blue.

This is a full repaint, Legoman soundfitted, detailed and weathered. RSH cantrail dividers added as per the prototype.

37069.jpg

37069a.jpg

37069b.jpg

37069c.jpg

37069d.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2021 at 10:25, blueeighties said:

Another 4mm completed repaint today...this time in the form of the Realtrack 'Pacer'. I'll be honest, this is the 2nd one of these I have done now, and it will be my last. An absolute nightmare to do! Nice final result though, which is what it is all about.

Damn, and I after I saw how good it looked, I was so just about to email you and offer you the unique opportunity to paint my (STILL!) unpainted 144 centre car conversion in Northern blue.

*delete's email*

:jester:

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...