My detailing/repainting projects

0 gauge diesel stuff has really come of age when you think of all that was available in kit form, just a few years ago. Such a case in point is this big 56. Can't remember the kit manufacturer, it's 'okay', but falls way short of the accuracy and pulling power of current rtr. However, it still needs to earn a living, and indeed will be later this year on Simon George's rapidly becoming becoming legendary layout Heaton Lodge Junction, hauling full rakes of MGR hoppers. It came to me in a somewhat ropey condition, lighting was installed, but was ridiculously overcomplicated, and not functioning properly. The interior of the cabs also looked like they had been coated with something akin to dried on paint stripper, which made securing the new wiring a really fun job. Anyways, all old wiring ripped out, along with the quite frankly stone age and piss poor speakers, and replaced with new. I have also added internal cab lights, and this being 56074, the special slow speed control cab roof mounted orange flashing beacons. A full stripdown and overhaul of the drivetrain, new updated soundfile, and all that is left to do now is reassemble and fine tune the motor settings. Should give the big Heljans a run for pulling power whan they arrive!

074.jpg

074a.jpg

56074b.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

beacon.jpg

beacon2.jpg

• Like 9

This loco has been a long time in the making. GD stalwart 37250. This is a complete re-work of a Heljan 0 gauge model, strip back to bare plastic, nose ends rebuilt, bodyside mods, various detailing parts, full repaint and weather. And of course, sound fitted ;)

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

And another 56 today...This time 4mm. This one is actually mine, (shock horror!), returned to the workshop for a service. I decided to re-wire whilst I was at it, the original was a bit messy. Also fitted with a Rail Exclusive 55x20x10 'chunky boom box'. This thing now really screams....

56127.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

On 11/01/2020 at 15:18, rob D2 said:

That’s cool - is it for heaton lodge as well ?

No matey, not that one! Although it may get a run out there later this month when I meet up with a few folk :D

Edited by blueeighties
typo
  • Like 1

Progress with the personal layout is slow, however I found a bit of time over the festive break, and am carrying out some weekend engineering works :-) Happy to announce that the first mainline continuous run of 4 has been linked up, 37114 and 56127 filmed doing the honours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjQIwu_Lnwo&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jftZRVnpLi8&feature=youtu.be

• Like 2

Sometimes, working on something brings home just how good modern RTR is these days. A case in point....the DJH class 40. Back in the day I remember seeing these in adverts and being in awe of the bulk and detail...up close they are now very basic, and slightly crude models.

This one came in with the basic livery on, a half cocked attempt at installing sound and lights, oddly most of the transfers not applied, and an issue with the drivetrain. All of the above and detail painting now complete, weathering next. With the weight and drive mech this thing has, it will quite literally pull a house.

40143.jpg

40143a.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Lee

Are those Twin Class 13's aka Twin O8's I see behind the Un-Numbers Class O8 or have you just taken the Cab off to fit or amend something...? lol

All Great Works that you produce.

Regards

Jamie

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi Lee

Are those Twin Class 13's aka Twin O8's I see behind the Un-Numbers Class O8 or have you just taken the Cab off to fit or amend something...? lol

All Great Works that you produce.

Regards

Jamie

Second person to ask that :D Nah, 3 individual 08s matey.

Edited by blueeighties
Typo
  • Like 1

Another privileged trip today to visit Simon George's Heaton Lodge Junction. This time to test some recently worked on locos and drivetrains to ensure they perform correctly. Nice to see progress being made. It was so enjoyable, and the first time I have ever witnessed the specatacle of a kitbuilt class 56, weighted internally to the tune of about 2kg, slip to a halt on the incline of the main drag at the head of it's full rake of MGR hoppers. In true prototype fashion, a GD 37 in the form of filthy 37250 was summoned, and got things underway performing banking duties :D Trust me guys, the photographs are good, but you NEED to see this when it goes out on the road. A true visual feast.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

• Like 15