My detailing/repainting projects

Looking good, really like the VEAs. Have you thought about adding proper handrails to the vea's doors being as you are building and painting them in any case. Small detail that would make a lot of difference I think.

Cav

Youd only need to cut out the small centre section leaving the two pips at each end and fit a small wire handrail in between. Not as difficult as all that. Just showing a bit of air behind the grab rail would be enough.

Cav

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pretty high quality bodging in your defence.

I always think you get the tones and colours just right of the base livery, especially the BR blue. Sometimes I see great work but the tone of the colour isn't quite right for some reason but you seem to get it right to my eye.

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 1

Very kind, thank you. I think a lot of it is down to a decent flat matt varnish coat. I use Precision, I find it superb.

Yeah I agree fully. I always tended to use testors dullcote on my n gauge stuff as I too prefer the flattening effect on the colour. Although more recently I've found an equal replacement from a war games shop which unfortunately it's name escapes just now but it was much more readily available compared with testors, and cheaper.

Personaly I prefer to follow a thread like this. However, it should be what you feel happier with to document your work.

Duncan

Ditto here Lee. I've not really got into blogs, which is probably more my fault than the fault of the format itself.

It's your decision, though of course.

Happy modelling, whatever you decide!

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, good evening :sungum:

I am happy to report, that everything went well, fantastic infact, and we are now Mr and Mrs. We have had a fantastic couple of days, lots of great company from friends and family, and a nice overnight stay in a very posh Spa in Seaham. The room price alone would have covered 3 or so sound locos :scratchhead: But hey, worth every penny.

Anyways, getting back to business, (not 'more importantly' I may add, as Mrs Blueeighties is beside me as I type this) is the little matter of 37035. The transfers are on, and the matt varnish coat, and once again it's my saving grace. Flattened the poor gloss coat off a treat.

I just have to add the glazing, paint the headcode box fronts black, and glaze the marker lights. Another beast finished.

8285719668_cfeeb10190_b.jpg

8285721114_be24619cdc_b.jpg

8285722904_e12bbdee5a_b.jpg

8285724310_642c405664_b.jpg

8285725664_d718e99f29_b.jpg

Hi Lee

The loco looks excellent great work.

Can I ask who's transfers you have used numbers, arrows, data panel, & shed code.

Edited by Gridler49
  • Like 1

You appear to have gotten a better set than the utter crap that fox sent me for my N 47. I really want to boycott them for sending me the crappy old FMR stuff that was clearly past its best rather than the new excellent fox stuff and then not even bother to reply to my email of complaint. I'm not sure what other transfers to use now though if Replica are not doing the rub downs any more (I heard somewhere, is this true?).

Cav

You appear to have gotten a better set than the utter crap that fox sent me for my N 47. I really want to boycott them for sending me the crappy old FMR stuff that was clearly past its best rather than the new excellent fox stuff and then not even bother to reply to my email of complaint. I'm not sure what other transfers to use now though if Replica are not doing the rub downs any more (I heard somewhere, is this true?).

Cav

Hi Cav

Yes it's true replica only have a few black tops numbers left that's it.

The supplier from the USA wanted to much money up front so I was told so replica will not be ordering anymore from now on. Great shame as these were excellent numbers and great to work with.

The reason I'm asking blueeighties (Lee) about his numbers is because I have recently ordered numbers from fox and they appear to be far to bold compared with his older numbers.

The new numbers I have recieved from fox looks nothing like the numbers applied by Lee to his class 37

Have a look on the link below Cav the class 31 has the new style from fox which are so chunky compared to the numbers applied by Lee

The 47 has gauge 1 numbers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishrail/8594736753/in/photostre

I would like to know you thoughts Cav, Lee.

Edited by Gridler49

Morning.

I can't remember the sheet number, but they were gauge 1 ones, as these particular Scottish locos had a different size of number to standard, the gauge 1 ones were the closest match.

Morning Lee

That explains why they look so right.

Yes Lee I have no issue with fox usually. They have had a lot of money out of me over the years and were my decal of choice however the N gauge large logo numbers they sent me were old stock and were poor to say the least. The numbers had yellowed a little and the carrier was very thick and would not sit down on the model despite a very glossy finish and loads of microsol amd microset. Even after all that the carrier is still visible and shows mild silvering which is unacceptable. I complained to them with absolutely no reply. I paid my money and expected nice new transfers not old crap left over from the FMR days.

Cav