My detailing/repainting projects

What triple grey? Probably the one I've painted the most if I'm honest. They grilles on the 37 are a pain. I mask them with Tamiya tape. Its a bit of an excercise with tape a cutting mat metal ruler and sharp scalpel. Having said that I have painted them by hand in the past as the grilles hold the paint. I have a very steady hand.

Cav

Be careful masking and handpainting especially on grilles as the paint goes on much thicker and wetter and will try to pull under the tape much more than spraying. The grilles edge can also prevent the best sealing of the tape to the surface too. If you can mask it well I would spray. Hand brushing is better if trying to avoid the masking stage I find.

Cav

Also, does anybody know what colour the roofs were on these things, same as upper bodyside, or light grey as per the blue ones? It's very difficult to tell from photographs.

I'd say they were more likely to be Rail Grey, although this was the transition period to Falcon Grey. The transformer oil header tank was usually a good indication of the roof colour, as long as it was clean enough. There are some translucent glass fibre panels towards the ends, I used Executive Light Grey for these, with a hint of yellow.

It's the first time I've seen a Heljan loco done as an 86/1, mind you, I haven't seen many done as an 86 at all. Are you planning to change the bogie sideframes...?

Edited by 298

Watch the pan too lee as the 1ers had a brecknall willis high speed not the stone faveley one that Heljan represent. Having said that the Heljan one is only fit for the bin in any case. There was also an observation pod on the roof too.

Cav

Edited by RBE

Hi guys. Sparkys aren't a loco I am familiar with in great detail, my client hasn't asked for anything to be changed on the bogies. I'll let him know they are now incorrect though!

Such are the joys of producing locos for other people- you put your name to a repaint to the client's specification (they might not have asked for certain details to be removed as this would add to the time involved), then if the model is sold on or displayed, it's you that gets the bad name for not following the exact prototype.

You also have a choice of colour for the rear of the cab roof, either light or dark grey (to match the roof), yellow, or more commonly- dirt.

But Lee a completely different bogie and pantograph isnt a few little rivets. It amounts to accepting the old Hornby class 37 with its 47 bogies and saying the same thing. Its a completely different bogie not a minor detail. The underframe is different too but the bogies are much more noticable. I have attached a photo from flickr to demonstrate.

post-6894-0-80921300-1367767919.jpg

Cav

• Like 2

I'm not shooting it down in flames the respray is a cracking job and changing rtr stuff to something more unique and treasurable is to be encouraged for sure, I was just making the point of the client needing to know his/her subject or you to inform him/her if they don't. As you said the other day that you would let him know they are wrong the point had not been made clear prior to starting the work. You have now let him know and he is ok with it as you have said. The point Im making is in future the client may not be ok with it and you could have been down a pretty work intensive path to find it wrong and the client not happy with the error. This all sounds a bit heavy and its not meant to be, just friendly advice. I usually do a little research on the prototype loco in question compared with the model loco prior to any agreement in order to pull up any such errors at day one and give the option to do the details or change the prototype number to suit depending on the clients needs. That way there is no danger of disappointment later on. I do try to avoid blatent errors though as like 298 said should that loco change hands the errors are tied to you as the one who did the work despite the clients attitude towards detail.

Cav

Edited by RBE

I think you are taking this completely the wrong way Lee. We all very much enjoy seeing your work which is outstanding quality. All that I am offering is a little advice. It isn't pointless ramblings for the sake of it and takes nothing away from the great work and comments of encouragement that I and many others have left before. Deleting this thread would be unwarranted and a crying shame as it has served as inspiration to many.

Cav

• Like 1

I'm not even sure why he has. It is a shame indeed as Lees work is very good.

I do do commission work yes. Drop me a pm if you would like to discuss as this certainly isnt the place to discuss further.

Cav

But Lee a completely different bogie and pantograph isnt a few little rivets. It amounts to accepting the old Hornby class 37 with its 47 bogies and saying the same thing. Its a completely different bogie not a minor detail. The underframe is different too but the bogies are much more noticable. I have attached a photo from flickr to demonstrate.

attachicon.gif7542527060_8c203f18c1.jpg

Cav

I'd have put money on the later full yellow front end preceeding the change from the earlier type of TDM dummy socket to the more common one as modelled by Heljan, but there's the photo as proof.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys. I think I'm back  :senile: Apologies for my 'dummy out of the pram' moment earlier in the month, I have had some personal issues and have not been the happiest person in the World. Hopefully back to normal now, and more importantly, back to updates from the workbench. So here are a couple of updates.

Now this is a bit different to my usual flavour of stock. I have to say this particular loco, ugly as it is, has a very strange attraction to it. Or maybe its just me! Not a lot done, front end detailing added, and a general weathering.

8880463384_0dff70c385_b.jpg

8879844699_e949e1e28a_b.jpg

8880464020_95ecd5a5c8_b.jpg

Another lovely model to reach the workbench...Heljan's 128. It's an absolute pleasure to work on these things. Again this is slightly out of my chosen period of modelling, but on seeing it at my local model shop, I just couldn't resist. Heljan certainly seem to have upped their game of late.

Dirty and dusty.
8802328395_5ef8e25faa_b.jpg

A new technique tried here....I have tried to replicate dirt that has been rainwashed along the vehicle, and then dried.
8812913172_cbb47bc981_b.jpg

It's not that easy to pick out from the picture, but the engine and surrounding area is quite heavily oil stained.
8812921038_0524f07fca_b.jpg

Greasy buffers to finish!
8802341257_af325823b5_b.jpg

8880462506_05c8f3468c_b.jpg

Another 'different' vehicle to my usual stuff, an Inter-City Swallow dvt. Inspired I think after last months Inter City repainted 86!

8815493660_c414e3fec0_b.jpg

A particular area I wanted to get right was the cab roof. They have a characteristic streaking, where dirt is forced up and back from the sloped cab front, especially in the wet. I'm happy with the result.
8804907431_cbfb9b1119_b.jpg

I must admit, I found these vehicles completely uninteresting, and totally lacking in character when they arrived in force on the ECML (they are completely silent!), but this Hornby one is a really nice model. Looks the business with lights and a dusting down.
8804907767_fc8602c7e0_b.jpg

And back to my staple diet
37506.Had this sitting on the bench for way to long to do for a mate who I owed a big favour to. This is getting large white numbers, and the name 'British Steel Skinningrove'. I created a glossy patch for the new number, and also removed the plain white Thornaby Kingfisher on the engine room doors, and replaced them with the coloured ones.

8859309160_94303375d6_b.jpg

8859309208_f94de46594_b.jpg

8868711009_a4e6517840_b.jpg

8869322034_97532317ef_b.jpg

8892378133_fd0858eb96_b.jpg

8892997026_fc83f4495b_b.jpg

I ended up having to use Fox gauge 1 running numbers....the 00 large logo ones were too big. These are the same size as the oddly sized ones found on some large logo Scottish 37's and 47's.

Edited by blueeighties
  • Like 10

Some good work there Lee. Like the dvt roof especially. As for your love hate thing with the 70. I must say that they have grown on me. They are to me very reminicent of a class 58 the next generation!

Cav

Hi Jon  :stinker: Really simple mate.

A ligt dusting of the chosen colour with the airbrush, and then just remove to taste using cotton buds, streaking in whichever direction you want the dirt to run. In this case, front of cab to back. When finished and dry, I then sprayed a little bit more muck build up along the rear cab bulkheadline.

• Like 1

Hi Jon  :stinker: Really simple mate.

A ligt dusting of the chosen colour with the airbrush, and then just remove to taste using cotton buds, streaking in whichever direction you want the dirt to run. In this case, front of cab to back. When finished and dry, I then sprayed a little bit more muck build up along the rear cab bulkheadline.

Cheers Lee... yes that makes sense  :good: I'll be giving that a go soon  ;)