Haslington Models,Crewe.......

class"66"

• 1 month later...

I don't go often. Never find anything that I fancy. I would Reccomend Penketh Model Rail centre,wide variety of modern image stock, 00, N and a bit of 0. Second hand stuff too, books mugs nameplates, apologies for any mistakes as it is hard to type one handed as well as my iPads stupid keyboard!

What is the point of this post in this thread ?

Perhaps the post ought to be moved to Penketh Model Rail Centre ?

Although infrequent, I have always enjoyed by visits to Les at Haslington Models, as much for the chat as purchasing models and supplies. I don't imbibe of tea or coffee, but have always been offered one by Les, not a feature of a great many model shops.

Highly recommended from me.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Big thank you to Les and his wife for giving a first class service. The shop is closed due to the current pandemic/shielding but they couldn't do enough to help when I emailed them. We need to support model shops like Haslington models, especially them. Fingers crossed they are able to open up soon. I will definitely be paying them a visit.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 14/01/2013 at 03:31, class"66" said:

Got my latest bargain this weekend!! brand new Bachmann 37 506 rail freight loco for £30...... :sungum:

saw that, got excited, saw it was 7 years ago, but that was still interesting, Lima were £30 30 odd years ago.

• RMweb Gold

When he is open Les has plenty of 2nd hand that he sells for his regulars as trade ins etc, had some bargains off him in the past but it’s just pot luck what is on the shelf at the time!

of course as the customers set the prices you have some who think items are worth a lot more than they are realistically worth, on the flip side you get people who just want rid and cash in hand for new releases 

• RMweb Premium

Nice to know Les is still trading.    I bought my backscenes from him mail order about twenty years ago.    The countryside scenes are probably generic but the townscapes were actual buildings in the village of Haslingden which he had photographed.   As it was just a short detour off the M6 I took the opportunity to visit the following year while en route from my home in Scotland to holiday in Devon.  It was a surreal experience to be able to walk among the buildings from my layout backscene and visit the actual shops!   Les made me feel very welcome.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a note to let anyone know who doesn't already, that Les has now retired and Haslington Models will not be reopening.

I was heading out that direction today, so had a quick look on Google first, and saw it was listed as "permanently closed", and a drive through the village confirmed such to be the case, papered up windows. I made a couple of enquiries and found that, on medical advice, Les has had to make the difficult (but ultimately correct) decision to put his health first, hang up the price labeller, and not reopen after the last lockdown.

So (not that he reads internet forums, I'm sure), I'd like to wish Les a long, happy and enjoyable retirement, and give my thanks for all the many times over the years he's made the trip to that end of town worth it with a bargain or two. A sad loss to the hobby, particularly in second-hand stock.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 08/05/2021 at 17:07, Dragonfly said:

Just a note to let anyone know who doesn't already, that Les has now retired and Haslington Models will not be reopening.

I was heading out that direction today, so had a quick look on Google first, and saw it was listed as "permanently closed", and a drive through the village confirmed such to be the case, papered up windows. I made a couple of enquiries and found that, on medical advice, Les has had to make the difficult (but ultimately correct) decision to put his health first, hang up the price labeller, and not reopen after the last lockdown.

So (not that he reads internet forums, I'm sure), I'd like to wish Les a long, happy and enjoyable retirement, and give my thanks for all the many times over the years he's made the trip to that end of town worth it with a bargain or two. A sad loss to the hobby, particularly in second-hand stock.

That's a real shame. I visited a good few times over the years for models and bits n bobs. The chip'ole there wasn't too shabby either. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really saddened to hear this news.  

A visit to Haslington Models was a staple in my Saturday routine for many years (pre-children).  Les always welcomed you into the shop and could be relied upon for sound advice on many modelling subjects.  Refreshingly (for this day and age) he wasn't too concerned whether you bought anything or not.  He seemed confident that his excellent customer service would mean that you would be back for your next purchase - and like me, his regulars returned many times over.  

Regrettably I wasn't able to visit over the last few years, mainly due to other obligations on a weekend and a house move that meant I was living some distance away from the shop.

I wish Les (and Mrs Kent) a long and happy retirement.  Thank you for your service and advice throughout the years.

Mark

Edited by Billy Boy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately some even sadder news. Had a call last night telling me Les has unfortunately passed away on Sunday. I've no further details suffice to say that Les was most definitely top man. My father knew him from his original career as a controller for BR and organiser of DAA Railtours and some of the Crewe Open Days before my time on the railway. I got to know him better during his time as proprietor of Haslington Models. Les was always happy to see you even if you'd not been in for some time, kettle was always on and it was never a quick visit! On numerous occasions he would recount the tail of how he christened 56's 'Grid's' when he ran a railtour named the 'Grid Iron Grice' back in 1982. RIP Les. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, D6775 said:

Les was always happy to see you even if you'd not been in for some time, kettle was always on and it was never a quick visit!

It's a few years since my last visit when passing unfortunately but Les was always on good form when I did. Very sorry to hear that news.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, big jim said:

Very sad news, known Les since I moved to crewe 15 years ago, a lovely man and a sad loss

iirc regarding his railway career he also arranged the north Wales railfreight day back in the early 90s 

I believe he was behind the 1991 Trainload Coal day and the 1995 NWC Motive Power Day. I actually had one of the blue T-Shirts with a 56 on if my memory serves correct. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, D6775 said:

Unfortunately some even sadder news. Had a call last night telling me Les has unfortunately passed away on Sunday. I've no further details suffice to say that Les was most definitely top man. My father knew him from his original career as a controller for BR and organiser of DAA Railtours and some of the Crewe Open Days before my time on the railway. I got to know him better during his time as proprietor of Haslington Models. Les was always happy to see you even if you'd not been in for some time, kettle was always on and it was never a quick visit! On numerous occasions he would recount the tail of how he christened 56's 'Grid's' when he ran a railtour named the 'Grid Iron Grice' back in 1982. RIP Les. 

Thanks for posting up here D775 this is very sad news to here,les wil be very missed in railway theme..

he was real gent and looked after everyone who he met through railway community.. and his model shop in haslington..

• Agree 1