An Asymetrical double outside slip MK2

StuartM

Take care not to damage couplings by accidental hard shunting against the buffers! (been there.................) 

Do the inner wing rails reach as far forward as wheel treads?

In some prototype sidings the track inclined towards the ends so the  driver could judge by watching for roofs rising that the end was nigh!

Oddly enough they do incline ever so slightly, but I take your point about damaging auto couplers.

I think I'm going to run with Ben's idea of a fence (at least for now) plus a small brick hut or something similar.

Prototype panel offered up and photographed to see what the camera thinks

post-10866-0-62406300-1393276224_thumb.jpg

Playing around with buildings to see what works and what doesn't work,

so far a covered structure to protect materials from the elements and a yard office.

I'm also toying around with another structure further up the yard with a cardboard mock-up.

All ideas and comments welcome

post-10866-0-37064700-1393972371_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-74030900-1393972379_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-45084000-1393972388_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stuart,

By the 70s there seemed to be less emphasis on providing covered goods facilities.  The two two smaller buildings look really nice, and quite plausible.

The larger one is harder to judge as it's a mock up and we can only see a corner, but it seems to me that there is a possibility that it would overpower the other two in terms of composition.  However, in the wider scene it may look just right!  Is it based on a prototype?  I don't recall seeing many covered sheds like that in the 70s, but happy to be proved wrong!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Stuart,

By the 70s there seemed to be less emphasis on providing covered goods facilities.  The two two smaller buildings look really nice, and quite plausible.

The larger one is harder to judge as it's a mock up and we can only see a corner, but it seems to me that there is a possibility that it would overpower the other two in terms of composition.  However, in the wider scene it may look just right!  Is it based on a prototype?  I don't recall seeing many covered sheds like that in the 70s, but happy to be proved wrong!

cheers

Ben A.

The two two smaller buildings look really nice, and quite plausible- is good enough for me.

The mock up was a slightly larger version of the covered goods shed and I was just playing around with photographic composition, but in reality I can't think of a plausible reason for such a structure to be in that location. I'm now thinking overhead gantry crane spanning the two inner tracks and the road.

Rgds,

Stuart

post-10866-0-68060000-1394028419_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I agree, the Gantry looks good.

But are/were they more commonly seen in pairs?

(They would need to be to load/unload those long girders on that bogie flat.)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Also, does/would the Gantry crane need to straddle all three sidings?

The longer the top beam of the crane then the less maximum weight the crane can lift.

Also, you would not be able to lift any loads over any roads already occupied by wagons.

Kev.

Ben,

Thanks for the link, yes I think it might be a tad on the large side, although I might go way and play with the idea.

Kev,

I hear what your saying

Originally I placed the gantry so it was only covering the two tracks either side of the road as this made sense to me in that, items could be loaded onto flats or into wagons from two locations, but when I placed the gantry across the three roads it just looked better.

With regard to two gantry's (see Ben's link) I think that is case if the gantry is required to move up and down a section of a yard or if extremely large weight is involved.

The width of my gantry spanning three roads would be no more than 24' or 12m which a suitably sized length of RSJ could span and still support a decent weight, bearing in mind that as a S&T depot, the heaviest item likely to be lifted is a drum of cable.

More ideas, comments and suggestions are welcome

Rgds,

Stuart

I'd say abort the whole idea of a gantry as you will only be challenged to make it all work (as per Wenford Bridge)

Ha ha, yes your probably right, although that ain't going to happen any time soon. :no:

A 'light weight' gantry crane has been erected in the yard

One of the shunters huts has been replaced with a disused parcels van

And for some reason I bought a steam locomotive??????

post-10866-0-73320700-1394920883_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-90968900-1394920893_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-44896500-1394920912_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-74373200-1394920930_thumb.jpg

Its very nice.   Can I suggest another experiment in scenics;  I think the grass clumps (such as last photo above) appear too long.  Try a very sharp pair of nail scissors to cut the grass down a little in height.  

I would agree Photos from the age of steam rarely show grass between lines.Fire risk.  It was only after steam had gone that people relaxed. Similarly grass inside the railway fence was kept short and trees/bushes etc removed.

Mark

Thanks for the comments,

I did try cutting the grass clumps down but they didn't look right

As for the steam loco, I take your point, but the Jinty is just posing for the camera, normal 1970's diesel operation will resume shortly :)

Archived