An Asymetrical double outside slip MK2

StuartM

Hi Stuart,

This is absolutely fantastic modelling.  Really like the scenic work that you have added, it works just right with the variation in colours and textures.

May I ask what material you have used for the brickwork on the bridge abutments?  It looks very good indeed :good:

It's alway nice to see BR blue running up and down :yes:

Cheers

Lee

Thanks,

Rail blue was the best colour scheme imho.

The bridge walls are made from Slaters 4mm Plastikard bricksheet, which is then painted and then weathered.

I know 4mm is 00 gauge, but the 2mm bricksheets are so tiny they lose all definition

The copping stones are just plastikard cut to shape and again painted and then weathered.

The girder bridge is Peco and painted with oily steel acrylic and then dry brushed with black and rusted with sleeper grime

post-10866-0-69657600-1375469171_thumb.jpg

Well its been another lovely day down ere in Cornwall, so I thought I'd spend a happy hour or two with the camera.

This time a class 08 is working the yard while a class 128 ambles by on the up relief.

The class 128 is my first and only attempt at scratch building so far, which I made a good number of years ago now.

If anyone from Heljan happens to be reading this thread, please would you hurry up and enter the ngauge/2mm market and shrink your wonderful 00 model

post-10866-0-10768900-1375560956_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-84772700-1375560964_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-94393600-1375560991_thumb.jpg

This time a rare visit by a class 25 in the transition period between green and blue.

While a Warship passes by on a short west bound parcels train and an 08 organises a train for the class 25

post-10866-0-32298200-1375561366_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-94080300-1375561379_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-11788900-1375561388_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-04094000-1375561396_thumb.jpg

The station pilot organising a short trip working to the next station up the line.

The train will pass under the bridge and then travel down to another yard east of this one where it will cross on the up relief, where it seen heading east in the final shot

post-10866-0-89350300-1375561846_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-39727400-1375561867_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-60009300-1375561879_thumb.jpg

No transitional period photo shot would be complete without a photo a steam engine.

I only have one and this is it. sorry for the poor attempt at smoke but photo shopping is not my forte.

post-10866-0-34138600-1375562135_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-54977200-1375562149_thumb.jpg

Quite remarkable and commendable at the speed of progress lately. Such a shame that there are no plans to bring the layout to events - so can we have some more videos please? I'd like to see stock trundling through all that complex track now that its complete.

Thanks,

But not finished yet, I still have the buildings to make and in an earlier post you made, you did say beware of hiding the track from view behind buildings, which is actually proving to be the case somewhat, although I'm still playing around with structures.

One of the benefits of my method of building is that you never quite know how its going to end up

However, one of the disadvantages of my method of building, is that you never quite know how its going to end up.

I will make another video at some point, but I really should put the camera away and get on with some modelling.

With hindsight, I wish on my layout I had made the buildings in close proximity to the track to be plug-ins. At least telegraph poles, loading gauges, yard lamps etc are removable. Although I made a track cleaning scudder over 10 years ago it still demands the utmost care and short sleeves are the order of the day (as noticed with Bill Rankin and Jim Allwood!). Going in with a soldering iron for repairs (especially at exhibitions) fills me with trepidation.  Is  there a rechargeable battery iron on the market? I wouldn't dream of using a gas one with my failing eyesight. for fear of damaging plastics or scenic materials. I've got a turnout on the main track right alongside the goods shed which recently gives me intermittent frustration with wrong roading. I can't get my head down close enough to use an eye glass for diagnosis and wearing an optivisor would wreek havock. Next time I am in the mood to address the repair I propose to stand the board vertically upright to work on - only trouble with that is I won't be able to roll stock through for testing until I return it level. However, once done normal service can be resumed

• RMweb Gold

I think Stuart's location makes it difficult for him to take the layout to events but if he keeps producing this quality he will be under pressure to exhibit the layout. It all does look very convincing Stuart.

Don

I think Stuart's location makes it difficult for him to take the layout to events but if he keeps producing this quality he will be under pressure to exhibit the layout. It all does look very convincing Stuart.

Don

From one islander to another- thanks very much

This is only my second attempt at a finescale layout so your words are very encouraging.

Yes my location makes the possibility of exhibiting a none starter and to be honest the exhibition circuit has never appealed to me, however having said that, there is the possibility of a move back to the mainland at some stage and if this comes off then I would be quite tempted to attend a 2mm agm with layout in tow.

• RMweb Gold

Well if you do come back I think you would be most welcome. We are moving back to the mainland and should soon be in Minehead. There are pros and cons of living on an island as you well know.

Don

Well if you do come back I think you would be most welcome. We are moving back to the mainland and should soon be in Minehead. There are pros and cons of living on an island as you well know.

Don

If I make it back, I'll be in Truro, we'd practically be neighbours.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to add another tandem turnout, however because I'm making this up as I go along there is no space under the baseboard for the switch blade droppers or turnout operating mechanism, so having given the matter some thought I knocked up a length of test track and turnout and have prototyped above board right angled switch blade droppers.

In other words a tie bar.

The photos are self explanatory, one dropper has been painted with nail varnish which acts as insulation, I used red because its easier to see where the insulation starts and finishes.

I then glued them together using cryno and then checked for electrical isolation. Then I glued the 0.9mm piano wire used to operate the point.

Next I added the three sleepers atop on the extended sleepers and added the point lever.

It actually works rather well, a slight tweak and some paint and I think I've probably reinvented the wheel, but in a way that's going to allow me be able to add the additional tandem turnout where I want it.

post-10866-0-92025800-1377204039_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-68698200-1377204064_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-98140600-1377204082_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-40922500-1377204100_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-70595700-1377204116_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The only concern I would have is that should the connection to the blade need re-soldering would the heat destroy the insulation. Probably depends on how quick your can be with a soldering iron. Does seem a good idea though.

Don

Stuart, forgive me if you've covered this already but may I ask how you converted your class 14, your Warship and the 2-6-4 tank loco?. Do they have turned down wheels?

I'm afraid all the loco's except the 04 still have ngauage wheels and have just been placed on the layout for the purpose of photography.

The class 04 however does have scaled down wheels, which is a service provided by a member of the 2mm scale association.

The layout has been build solely as a shunting plank for the 04, although the running lines on the embankment are all 2mm scale and may at some time be used as part of a larger layout.

The 2mm scale association provide drop in wheels sets for most classes of Gra far diesel locos (only available to association members)

All locos with coupling rods have to either have their wheels turned down or replaced, again this is something I may do in the future.

Why not check out the website and see what the association has to offer.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Progress has been slow over the past few weeks as it's summer time and I've been busy doing family stuff,

still I found a little time over the weekend to make this type 1 tandem turnout which will be added to create an additional 2 sidings.

Although almost complete, I still have to add the isolation cuts to the rails and sleepers and then wire it up before it can be installed.

Experience tells me that although the 3 wheeled test truck runs through all the exits ok and even though the shunter "pushes" through them ok, once it try's to run the through the point work under it's own power, some fettling will be required.

post-10866-0-51095500-1378234575_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-38133600-1378234585_thumb.jpg

There seems to be a checkrail missing on the centre road to help out through the alignment (?) of the second crossing

Well spotted,

I noticed it myself when looking at the photo late last night,

Another good reason for photographing your work as you go along, is that for some strange reason, you sometimes see things in the photos that you miss in real life?. Plus there are all the people viewing the photos who can check your work for you :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived