which glue for cork tiles?

I have purchased a few boxes of un-sealed 3mm cork floor /wall tiles for a track base a medium I have used on previous layouts and have been very happy with, they absorb noise pretty well and can be worked to form a ballast shoulder where necessary.

In the past I have used impact adhesive, it worlks OK but is not that cheap and of course gives off unpleasant and probably unhealthy vapours.

I have not yet tried PVA and I wonder whether anybody has used both glues and has an opinion on the merits or otherwise of this glue?

Thanks Tetleys

Hi

PVA, every time. I made the mistake of using a cork glue previously and then decided I need to lift some cork :( Well it was easier to replace the whole board.

PVA holds well enough with the advantage it is easy to remove, should you change your mind.

Regards

Kal

I use PVA but it has to be held in place while it dries - probably overnight. I have to say that some of mine has also been very difficult to remove so I suspect that aspect depends on what the baseboard is made of. You mention the noxious odors given off by impact adhesive - Evostok solvent-free impact adhesive is odorless.

Harold.

I used clear silicon sealant and a mastic gun on Wickes 4mm tiles to plywood board.Use a paint stripper/chisel knife to spread thin(don't want bumps in the tile!) Good adhesion, good grab and dries/cures quick.

Pinned with drawing pans till completely cured.

No probs on my 5m x 2m in outside garage.

Bob Hughes

• RMweb Premium

I have used PVA and "Thixofix" (many years ago!) and found that the PVA is perfectly adequate and a lost less smelly.

The only down side was that it seems to take forever and a day to dry.

We usually cover pretty much the whole board with cork as it is cheap enough and it doesn't matter if we change our minds about track plans. It also allows us to pin scenic bits teporarily in place really easily with normal household pins until we are sure that we have things where we want them and stick them permanently.

I like the sound of a couple of the alternatives, like the spray glue and the silicon sealant but I don't know how they compare costr wise.

Tony

It seems that everybody has been satisfied with their own chosen adhesive, my new layout is going to require a lot of whatever adhesive I eventually choose so I think I'll experiment with several suggested, there is one advantage, once in place it will be staying, I will not be having any track alterations, the way I've built the baseboards they only really lend themselves to the track plan I have decided upon.

Thanks for the advice, I'm back down my builders merchant tomorrow to pay last month's account so I can splash out on various adhesives.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember reading a while back that somebody used a cheap no-brand wallpaper paste. Admittedly, this was for cork rolls, not cork tiles. The wallpaper paste "grabs" the cork and as long as the roll is laid wanting to bend up in the middle, little or no weight was required to hold it down. Tempted to try this in the future because although I use cheap 5 litre PVA from Screwfix, wallpaper paste is even cheaper and quicker to spread with a  pasting brush!

PVA certainly does the job, but it reduces the sound proofing effect of the cork. Copedex or  any other type of laytex glue preserves the sound proofing qualities of cork, can be used as an impact glue if required.  Dilute with water to stick ballast, again it preserves the sound proofing qualities of the cork. Copydex like Uhu is getting expensive, larger jars reduces but normal laytex floor covering glue is far cheaper and does the same job

I remember reading a while back that somebody used a cheap no-brand wallpaper paste. Admittedly, this was for cork rolls, not cork tiles. The wallpaper paste "grabs" the cork and as long as the roll is laid wanting to bend up in the middle, little or no weight was required to hold it down. Tempted to try this in the future because although I use cheap 5 litre PVA from Screwfix, wallpaper paste is even cheaper and quicker to spread with a  pasting brush!

P'raps beware wallpaper paste on a chipboard base? I only remark on this because once when decorating I used a length of 3/4"chipboard as a paper pasting table and where the paste remained on the chipboard [mainly at the edges] it swelled up by about 3mm and never went back flat.....

Doug

P'raps beware wallpaper paste on a chipboard base? I only remark on this because once when decorating I used a length of 3/4"chipboard as a paper pasting table and where the paste remained on the chipboard [mainly at the edges] it swelled up by about 3mm and never went back flat.....

Doug

Good point - I don't use chipboard but many do. If you seal the chipboard well and don't go "over the edge" I'm sure it would be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived