Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Knottingley WRD

Richard_S

Further work today on providing droppers to all the turnouts. I have also electrically bonded together the crossings on 5 out of the 7 turnouts. Piano wire to replace the wire supplied with the Tortoises arrived today and is next on the list. The tiebars need a bit more work to bring them up to scratch and I will post photos of this process. A Switch8 device to control all 7 turnouts also arrived yesterday and will be installed shortly.

After all that it should be possible to run some test trains..........

Then the scenic work will begin including painting, ballasting, detailing, yard lights, backscene and layout lighting gantry.

Still much to do with 5 months to curtain up.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

cheers for that, i thought it might have something to do with the other layouts but wasnt sure.

cheers

Simon

Point numbers in power schemes generally start in the 101 region

• 2 weeks later...

On Saturday I took both boards to our clubroom at Foel View, N Wales for a working session with fellow club members. After inspecting the turnouts we decided to alter the mechanism for something that looked tidier than the copperclad sleepers I had fitted. Using Exactoscale turnout bases allows the use of a sliding bar connected to the underside of the switch rails by a combination of 0.7mm nickel silver wire slotting into 1.5 mm brass tube;

post-816-127168096448_thumb.jpg

View from above showing attachment to switch assembly;

post-816-127168094878_thumb.jpg

Testing the S&C with a 9v battery connected to the outer edges of the Tortoise motor;

post-816-127168097842_thumb.jpg

A borrowed VDA van provided a clearance run.

Mike Turner repaired the short length of track damaged when the boards were split. 20 thou plasticard strip forms a sub base for new copperclad sleepers to be superglued in place before the whole lot was soldered together;

post-816-127168099416_thumb.jpg

This process now requires repeating on 6 other turnouts before the motors are wired up.

I could not make my planned excursion to S4 North last weekend as my youngest son was ill. That meant I could not buy the materials to work on motorising the turnouts at home so I'm waiting on a mail order delivery from Eileen's Emporium of nickel silver wire and brass tube.

In the meantime I took a look at some stock. The main requirement is for HAA MGR wagons and the base model is to be the later Hornby release. These aren't a straightforward conversion by any means due to limited space between the W irons to fit P4 wheels.

Much more straightforward were these Bachmann TTA wagons, bought as a Ltd Ed from Kernow models when first produced. They are already (subtly) weathered, individually numbered and only required new wheels and a prototypically correct Instanter coupler. The shots I took on my workbench are awful so here's the completed rake instead;

post-816-127188211797_thumb.jpg

Next off the mini Shildon works line will be a rake of HEAs......

Here are a few more photos to show progress on the stock.

First up is a btter picture of one of the TTAs;

post-816-127203172957_thumb.jpg

Next 2 views of a HEA, this still requires re-numbering and effective weathering. In particular the rather garish ladders should look less obtrusive once toned down;

post-816-127203173799_thumb.jpg

post-816-127203174548_thumb.jpg

In the cupboard awaiting conversion is a pair of Railfreight VDAs. There is less room here for a P4 axle so I will use some Bill Bedford W Irons and use the plastic ones as covers;

post-816-127203175392_thumb.jpg

post-816-127203176162_thumb.jpg

post-816-1272031770_thumb.jpg

Finally here is the Hornby HAA I am planning to employ;

post-816-127203177582_thumb.jpg

As can be seen there really isn't a lot of room underneath but I'm optimistic we can find a way round the problem.

Bye for now.

post-816-127203178229_thumb.jpg

Much more straightforward were these Bachmann TTA wagons, bought as a Ltd Ed from Kernow models when first produced. They are already (subtly) weathered, individually numbered and only required new wheels and a prototypically correct Instanter coupler. The shots I took on my workbench are awful so here's the completed rake instead;

Rich, I do hope you use the rake of TTA's I made for WFRM on Knottingley. No good having them remain in their box up on the top shelf at F/W.

Great work on your layout, I'm proud of you. You've come a long way.

Cheers, Tone

A working session at Foel View last Saturday saw 2 more turnouts motorised. I took the plunge today and worked on Turnout 102 on my own and it too is powered and stock runs through it okay! That only leaves 3 left to do and then full testing can begin. Checking board 2 with a meter revealed no obvious short circuits so I am hoping to run a powered train fairly soon.

• 3 weeks later...

2 further working sessions at Foel View last Saturday and this have seen 3 more turnouts motorised. This only leaves one to do. In addition work began on wiring up the power supply to one Tortoise and the first connector between the boards;

post-816-127454184988_thumb.jpg

post-816-127454187159_thumb.jpg

post-816-127454190305_thumb.jpg

post-816-127454193501_thumb.jpg

post-816-127454196607_thumb.jpg

post-816-127454201021_thumb.jpg

post-816-127454203367_thumb.jpg

post-816-127454205776_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Whilst Richard is sunning himself in Turkey, Mike T and I have been wiring his layout.

The cables will be tied up once everything is proven to work.

the Switch8 which will control the Tortoise motors has been fitted into the bottom left (but one) bay

post-6662-127521049522_thumb.jpg

First two motors connected up

post-6662-127521056643_thumb.jpg

post-6662-127521058461_thumb.jpg

All (7) motors fitted and working, frogs wired and 2 out of the 7 connected to the Switch8, which is itself wired, so 5 motors to connect (about an hour) and the first trains will be running B)

Hi Richard....you have some good mates there.

Hope you are well, and had a good holiday, you werent there on business I assume.

Nice progress...I shall be watching with interest.

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard....you have some good mates there.

Hope you are well, and had a good holiday, you werent there on business I assume.

Nice progress...I shall be watching with interest.

Bob.

No modelling (for Mike T and I) this weekend but next weekend I would guess we - well Richard as its his pride and joy - will be breaking a small tape to commemorate the opening of KY - video time I think !

Hopefully having an open day in July Bob so we will be in touch - get your excuse ready :P

No modelling (for Mike T and I) this weekend but next weekend I would guess we - well Richard as its his pride and joy - will be breaking a small tape to commemorate the opening of KY - video time I think !

Hopefully having an open day in July Bob so we will be in touch - get your excuse ready tongue.gif

Does Darlington 2011 beckon then?unsure.gif ...... Would fit nicely with the S4 stand and you know you love our hospitality!!! Give you the forms in December! wink.gif

Hopefully having an open day in July Bob so we will be in touch - get your excuse ready :P

Hi Dave....I shall be doing my utmost to get along to the next open day.....currently my calendar is telling me that the weekend of 16/17/18 July is the only one I cant do....away for British Superbikes.

Hope to see you soon.

Bob

Big milestone reached yesterday as another club session at Foel View lead to the completion of all the turnout control and we ran the first train. Dave videoed it and I'm sure he will post something on here soon. We followed this with some fault detection; there were no shorts but a number of rails had poor or no supply and additional droppers were therefore fitted. A couple of sections of track required further glue and we left weights on those sections.

Next up is intensive testing with a variety of motive power and wagons.

Thanks to Mike and Dave for thier valued assistance again.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Saturday session looms tomorrow. We shall be testing the layout with as many different moves as we can think of including propelling wagons over the junctions. I will aim to take some more photos as we do this.

Archived