Project Hawick and the Waverley Route

Hawick_1987

• 5 months later...

Good evening folks.

I wrote my first history book recently, for Amberley Publishing - 'Hawick Through Time'.

The book contains over 100 pages of past/present comparison photographs of Hawick and the surrounding area. Each page is filled with interesting facts, important dates and tidbits of local history.

Many people from the WRHA, Campaign for Borders Rail and other local groups donated photos to be used, including some nice shots of Hawick Station.

You can pick up a copy online via Amazon, Amberley Publishing, Waterstones and various other retailers:

In Hawick, copies are available to buy at Rum and Milk, the Quality Used Furniture Warehouse, Dorward's, the Borders Textile Towerhouse, Wilton Lodge Museum and other local retailers.

10483858_707572972645275_209943883778795

Lynnwood Viaduct - Credit: Irene Hope

1504083_650691908333382_1315295760_n.jpg
Edited by Hawick_1987

Good evening folks.

I wrote my first history book recently, for Amberley Publishing - 'Hawick Through Time'.

The book contains over 100 pages of past/present comparison photographs of Hawick and the surrounding area. Each page is filled with interesting facts, important dates and tidbits of local history.

Many people from the WRHA, Campaign for Borders Rail and other local groups donated photos to be used, including some nice shots of Hawick Station.

You can pick up a copy online via Amazon, Amberley Publishing, Waterstones and various other retailers:

In Hawick, copies are available to buy at Rum and Milk, the Quality Used Furniture Warehouse, Dorward's, the Borders Textile Towerhouse, Wilton Lodge Museum and other local retailers.

10483858_707572972645275_209943883778795

Lynnwood Viaduct - Credit: Irene Hope

1504083_650691908333382_1315295760_n.jpg

Have you got a book out...? ;-)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've only just found this thread but it stirred my memory.   During the summer of 1956 I was stationed at Stobs Camp near Hawick serving in the RAOC who ran the Stores depot for the TA summer camps.   Our buildings were near the railway station as goods arrived by train and were unloaded in a siding.   I remember a party of Chunkies (Royal Pioneer Corps)  refusing to put on chain mail gloves to unload a wagon of Dannert wire until their corporal knocked one of them down to put sense into their thick skulls!   The camp was on two levels and we used to ride down illegally using the residual fuel in the jeeps on our vehicle park.   Weekends saw the evening train packed with the licentious soldiery on their way to the dances in Hawick, where men were in short supply.  The last train back was also packed as it was a long walk after an evening's dancing and canoodling, my girl lived in Newcastleton so she came back on the train with me.  Sadly I can't remember what kind of loco pulled those trains, I had other (female) things on my mind at the time.

• Like 3

Does the Drill Hall still exist,  scenes of many evenings dancing for me?  Also does the Common Riding Ball still go on?  Some of us went - the rules stated evening dress, hunting kit or military uniform - we went in our battledress which was accepted but the majority of the military were the Lothians and Border Horse in their best blues,  we stood out a bit!

• Like 1

The Drill Hall was used for dances and local entertainment after WWII. It was then leased to the Post Office in 1971 as a sorting area and finally demolished in 1983, being replaced by the houses of Dovecote Mews. The annual Common Riding Ball is a tradition that still continues and is a much loved part of the ceremony.

• Like 1

Hawick was a soldier's paradise in 1956, there was lots of work for ladies and little for men who tended to migrate away.  When the little gaggle of us Ordnance blokes went into the Drill hall dance first time, there was an immediate announcement of a Ladies Choice dance,  to our amazement there was a stamped of ladies across the floor and we wee all asked up right away.  It wouldn't have happened in South Lancs where I lived at the time!!   My girl friend paid me into the pictures because she earned a lot more than my £3/17/- per week,   happy days.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 27/12/2013 at 12:01, 'CHARD said:

Returning to the calendar, Lochpark PW was already deconsecrated in '68 for conversion to light industrial units.  That's answered a few longstanding niggles I had.

I'm currently compiling an article about Lochpark and the concrete casting facility for a future issue of The Waverley - this post popped up on one of my 'net trawls! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's in CAD if you want an overlay map historical v's modern aerial. 

I've been meaning to get an answer in to the signal box thread too, but time and availability keep slipping.

Brick to roof boxes are Type 4 by the way, there's an article in that too which I'll get you details and diagrams of for an article if you wish? 

Battering getting the route in CAD as much as time allows, all will be made available to your good self.

Hope you're all keeping well and as saine as pandemics allow.

Edited by Iain Mac
Does 'sane' need an 'i'? Seems to suit it even if I'd give Joe Wilkinson a run for his money on Cats Countdown...
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Iain Mac said:

It's in CAD if you want an overlay map historical v's modern aerial. 

I've been meaning to get an answer in to the signal box thread too, but time and availability keep slipping.

Brick to roof boxes are Type 4 by the way, there's an article in that too which I'll get you details and diagrams of for an article if you wish? 

Battering getting the route in CAD as much as time allows, all will be made available to your good self.

Hope you're all keeping well and as saine as pandemics allow.

Would love one please, Mac. I was looking at the NLS maps but couldn't find a 25" to the mile one with the sidings at Lochpark. I ended up with a lower scale version that was pretty rubbish, and showed virtually no detail.

Anything you have for articles always very welcome - cheers!

All well thanks, hope you and yours are as well. My email addresses are all working, so whichever you send to should see them arrive here ok.

• RMweb Gold

It's just struck me, a thought that is. They still happen occasionally between bouts of tiredness and throwing a six, modern parent an all that.

Gonna be a pleasure for Richardsons to print this particular article, given their premises. Have you tapped Old man Richardson for his recollections or possible photographic contribution? Another dynamic to an artical, although post rail usage.

He was most impressed when I requested a price for double crown printing about 8 years ago.

It was Roy that sent me to ask. I just looked blankly and said " bit bigger than A1 but imperial I'm guessing"?

Its that time of night when the days brain Kaplunk residues settle out and ideas proliferate, personally thinking/speaking.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iain Mac said:

It's just struck me, a thought that is. They still happen occasionally between bouts of tiredness and throwing a six, modern parent an all that.

Gonna be a pleasure for Richardsons to print this particular article, given their premises. Have you tapped Old man Richardson for his recollections or possible photographic contribution? Another dynamic to an artical, although post rail usage.

He was most impressed when I requested a price for double crown printing about 8 years ago.

It was Roy that sent me to ask. I just looked blankly and said " bit bigger than A1 but imperial I'm guessing"?

Its that time of night when the days brain Kaplunk residues settle out and ideas proliferate, personally thinking/speaking.

Funnily enough, I intended to drop Murray a line to see what memories he has of the place, pre & post their premises, and also in case he has any photos of how it was before they moved there. Bruce has furnished me with a photo of the clock they have - which I've always been in awe of whenever I've visited them. 

Roy liked his imperial poster sizes - I seem to recall him mentioning quad and double crown sizes on several occasions! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/03/2021 at 10:34, 37175 said:

Roy liked his imperial poster sizes - I seem to recall him mentioning quad and double crown sizes on several occasions!

All station railway posters were DR (Double Royal) which is 25" across and 40" deep. During my five years in railway advertising we produced camera ready artwork in pro (proportion) to the finished size eg. 12.5" x 20) mainly usuing Letraset of which we had special sheets of Rail Alphabet and also the double arrow logo followed by SOUTHERN. We used to produce something like 1200 sheets of artwork at major timetable changes (without computer assistance) for station departure boards. Clapham Junction had 21 sheets if I recall correctly. At Waterloo we produced small runs in house using a black and white Statfile camera with posters produced photographically. Moving several sheets of soaking wet DR large posters between developer and fixer kept our Statfile operators fit! Larger runs such as those for destination marketing they were printed by commerical silk screen printers. Very large runs were produced by litho printing. In the old days everything was letterpress and I remember finding a lot of old printing blocks during one of our clearouts. After adoption of A paper sizes, the railway (and London Transport) were allowed to keep producing Double Royals and Quad Royals etc. as all the poster boards would have cost a fortune to replace. Some posters that I recall would now be considered of historic interest as they included the closure notices for Broad Street, Tubridge Wells - Eridge and Radipole (which were fortunately the only three closure posters I saw during my time there during the 1980s). I believe the railways still use DR poster sizes. I regret not keeping a few of them (we sent them all to the archivists at Paddington in the lead up to sectorisation). It all changed with the emergence of the very colourful Network SouthEast branding.

More information on poster sizes can be found here https://drbexl.co.uk/2010/01/26/poster-sizes/

• Like 2