Hornby returns Humbrol manufacturing to the UK

Andy Y

Hornby returns Humbrol manufacturing to the UK

28 November 2012. Humbrol, the U.K.’s No.1 modelling brand (owned by Hornby Hobbies Ltd) has moved over 60% of its model and craft manufacturing back to the UK from China.

Brand owner Hornby Hobbies Ltd. decided to relocate Humbrol’s manufacturing back to the UK from China to improve supply, and ensure high quality standards continue to be met, but from an easier location nearer to their own base in Margate. Humbrol Ltd. originally moved manufacturing from Hull to China in the early 2000’s.

Humbrol has traditionally supported the iconic model brand Airfix, and a number of products have already been introduced to strengthen this strategy. However under Hornby’s ownership it has broadened its target market with a diverse product range giving a new, wider focus towards model railways and war gaming. Re-branding its products also enables Humbrol to focus on the fast growing hobby and craft market, with new ranges already in development.

Product Manager for Humbrol, Dale Luckhurst said; “It’s been a busy 18 months relocating products back to the UK especially our largest range - enamel paints. Our entire colour range has been reformulated and colour matched back to original Humbrol standards.”

“Over the next year, Humbrol will be growing as a model and craft brand. We will continue to support Airfix and our sister brands: Hornby, Scalextric and Corgi. However, we have released a number of new products targeting the fast growing craft and DIY market. More and more people are taking up craft based activities and as a brand, we are listening to that trend. We’ve developed a number of new products to meet demand and as most of our manufacturing is now based in the UK we can work faster at giving retailers and consumers what they want.”

Humbrol’s well-established and most popular range of enamel paint as well as their new acrylic sprays are now produced in London and Manchester. Humbrol produces over 460 different products and accessories and are sold in all major and independent craft and model retailers. New products include a Humbrol Work Station (RRP £19.99), additional spray paints (RRP from £4.99) and new weathering powders (RRP £3.99).

Was there a real issue with quality control ?

I don't think there's anything in that statement to reach such a conclusion.

I would imagine it takes a lot of tinlets to fill a container so their production and distribution within the UK makes more logistical sense allowing smaller batches and shorter lead times which could be reflected in the statement

and as most of our manufacturing is now based in the UK we can work faster at giving retailers and consumers what they want

Yes that is interesting, as Brian says you very rarely hear manufacturing moving back to the UK from China. Wonder whether some of the discontinued colours will be brought back. I used to use "Tarmac" (can't remember the number) quite a bit when weathering locos but it has not been available for some time now.

Alan.

Yeah, colours like 133 bauxite have changed, I noticed when I painted some new wagons and put them beside ones done a number of years ago and it doesn't take transfers so well. Hope they go back to the former formulation....

Dave Franks,

I buy many products from Hong Kong, and prices are creeping up as local expectations increase. Still very good value and good quality but I have to wonder if a future change in the economic differential is being anticipated. Although many model railway items are suitable for mass production, the direct market for them is presumably quite limited and the indirect market - retailers buying 'in bulk' - is not huge.

Sorry to use some big words...it's me gr*mm*r sch**l and b*nk*ng background :senile:

Yeah, colours like 133 bauxite have changed, I noticed when I painted some new wagons and put them beside ones done a number of years ago and it doesn't take transfers so well. Hope they go back to the former formulation....

Dave Franks,

Not much chance of that.

Some of the changes in paint in recent years are due to certain pigments now being prohibited.

No idea if this one is down to that, a few pigments have become ridiculously expensive.

There were some very nasty ingredients used in the past.

Compounds of heavy metals are one particular area that has seen a dramatic reduction in their use.

Good for the health of painters but it does make life difficult when trying to recreate a past livery with any degree of accuracy.

Bernard

Please to hear production is back in the UK, but sadly the Humber Oil Co is not returning to anywhere near it's namesake river...

The original move of production to China was a lot more complex than a cost cutting measure, involving assets of Humbrol/Airfix that were in use at the Heller factory in France when Heller went to administration and what subsequently happened to those assets...

Please to hear production is back in the UK, but sadly the Humber Oil Co is not returning to anywhere near it's namesake river...

Happy to hear that it has moved back to the UK but as PLD has said, it is a shame it hasn't moved back to Hull. Always a shame to see the old factory in it's current state but there is no sentiment in business, of course.

I buy many products from Hong Kong, and prices are creeping up as local expectations increase. Still very good value and good quality but I have to wonder if a future change in the economic differential is being anticipated. Although many model railway items are suitable for mass production, the direct market for them is presumably quite limited and the indirect market - retailers buying 'in bulk' - is not huge.

Sorry to use some big words...it's me gr*mm*r sch**l and b*nk*ng background :senile:

The fact you think you have used big words in this and that you think others may not understand them indicates the problem in UK banking :sarcastichand:

Pigment prices are a comparatively small factor in the retail price of a small tin, which is aggregated across a range. If Hornby wants to re-establish Humbrol as "UKs No 1 brand", then it should look at how finely the pigments are ground. That is what you are paying your money for.

I worked in an industry that followed low labour rates within the UK, to Central Europe, then Eastern Europe and lastly North Africa. We were also looking at china but when I explained that if the customer changed demands it wouldn't be 1 week in transit but 6 weeks worth on container vessels the penny finally dropped. The ability to react to market demands and low logistics costs now start to outweigh labour costs. Labour costs only tend to be moving in one direction in offshore locations, up and quickly. The Chinese dragon has become hungry and thus strategies are changing

Games Workshop moved paint production back to the UK earlier in the year when they changed their range. Reading around on the internet its been assumed they might have gone back to using HMG Ltd Manchester for their range (acrylic). Previous stuff was done in France though not China.

Games Workshop went for higher pigment density, hopefully Hornby have too.

Archived