London Suburban idea

Katier

Oh it'll be a tunnel - afterall London isn't exactly devoid of them!!

Back of the dairy will be a brick retaining wall - so actually quite angular.. I'll probably put some buildings/roads above the tunnel/fiddle yard (with enough clearance for fiddling of course) to help with the feeling of being in a city.

Had a brain wave last night.

Biggest issue with the fiddle yard is retaining enough length for the longer trains.

I envisage :-

2 car Class 108 (already got)

3 or 4 car Class 108 (could be a problem as farish only seem to do the 2-car in green and no spare center coaches (?TSL?).

4-5 coach loco hauled (terminating stopping service from outside london - infrequent)

Parcels - not sure on length/makeup of that.

milk train

I might run the layout over a range of times as stock increases from 1964ish through to late 1970's/early 1980's (so right at the end of milk-trains and into the era I remember as a kid).

With that in mind and after some thought I realised I can only fit 3 roads and traverse them into both trains.. insufficient really to hold all the stock I want... 

BUT

If off the third road I put in a hand-operated point, I could have a conventional couple of sidings off the third road.

That would give :-

2 full length, 5 coach length, sidings

1 3+loco length

1-2 shorter ones ideal for DMU's

and still be able to traverse to all sidings/road combinations.

Wiring would be straight forward as the layout is planned on being DCC.

• 10 months later...

... .

Thinking about the Hammersmith and City. If that had been and remained a GW line rather than becoming part of the Underground you'd have a small terminus at Hammersmith but pretty intensively operated.

... .

-- Digging back into that elusive thing called 'Memory.' don't I recall that The StationMaster wrote some words about HAMMERSMITH BROADWAY and its virtues as a small & urban terminus worth modelling?

- I've searched both S-R-S. and search-engine Google! but haven't come-across either a track plan or a signalling layout.  Any suggestions as to where I could find either or both would be most welcome,  for which thanks in advance.

--  :-)

This was my 'excuse' for having a layout with a similar idea................

Earl's Court Model Railway 4mm/’OO’

Reality.......until October 3rd 1940 the LNWR/LMS had run an electric passenger service from Willesden Junction to Earl's Court. Many railway companies had, at various times, operated services over the West London Line some of which continued via Earl's Court.

The Model.......assumes that the LMS and GWR had built their own joint station at Earl's Court. This enabled them to divert some of their commuter and local passenger trains away from Euston and Paddington. Services had continued into the early 1960's, when the model is set.

As well as local services and peak hour commuter trains there is a small parcels depot and a shunting road which leads into the nearby dairy.

You can see more information at the ‘Earl’s Court’ web site.       ecmr.webs.com

Taking Nigel's point I decided what stock I wanted to run and then found an excuse to do so!

Terry

post-18114-0-60609700-1388742713_thumb.jpg

Came away from Warley with an n-gauge Standard Class 3 Tank.. :O

Guess that means a layout needs planning.. found around 6ft I could plan for (yes that's 3 layouts on the go although I plan on getting the BLT to a pretty complete state ASAP )...

After chatting with a friend I've decided I want suburban as I prefer that generally to BLT. Concept is a bit inspired by Broad Street and also the Bury St plan in Railway Modeller.

I wanted to get away from the concept of a standard goods yard so (again inspired partially by RM) I've gone for a bottling plant and a parcels depot.

The thought is originally the station was a through station but something (route duplication? WWII damage? 1950's cut backs?) caused it to be changed to a terminus. It didn't get cut completely due to paddington unable to take the extra traffic but what remains is commuter traffic and maybe a small amount of longer distance stopping services. The line also serviced because of the Dairy and Parcels depot ( and possibly an off scene coal depot).

8233594686_047d2803ac_b.jpg

Thoughts?

Looking good. Beware of having goods facilities within station confines if you are modelling London. Very few London Stations had parcels depots within the station itself. Usually they were at another location or the other side of a road bridge outside the station. There were exeptions such as Kensington Olympia, however.

The gantry and crane you have reminds me of a scene on the LT overground (Acton Depot maybe?) where LT had a track storage yard next to the running lines where they stored their rails and PW bits and bobs. I recall a picture (but can't find it online) of the yard being used by a LT pannier and a short PW train of a couple of flat bogie wagons. I think it only had a couple of short sidings. Or you could add a storage area for wheelsets.

Stretching reality a bit you could combine Southern & LT on somewhere around Wimbledon or Richmond. Or even on the Great Western Suburban area.

Just a thought for an unusual idea.

Eric

... .

Thinking about the Hammersmith and City. If that had been and remained a GW line rather than becoming part of the Underground you'd have a small terminus at Hammersmith but pretty intensively operated.

... .

-- Digging back into that elusive thing called 'Memory.' don't I recall that The StationMaster wrote some words about HAMMERSMITH BROADWAY and its virtues as a small & urban terminus worth modelling?

- I've searched both S-R-S. and search-engine Google! but haven't come-across either a track plan or a signalling layout.  Any suggestions as to where I could find either or both would be most welcome,  for which thanks in advance.

--  :-)

Tyr the District Dave underground site, and the West London Line (Middleton Press) has a track plan of Hammersmith Met in GW/Met days with loco shed.

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally done a little modelling, working on scalescenes arches and bridge to develop the corner with the creamery and fiddleyard.

12279930665_94d16196bd_c.jpg

The tunnel mouth is the double width version of the bridge and will see a continuation of the road over the single track bridge which will have a slightly skewed track running through it. Clearances have been checked and, while tight, will work.

A T-junction will feature on the road after it crosses the single line giving 90 degree roads running above the fiddle yard. In other words the fiddle yard will be partially covered and the final 'hiding' of it will be via terraces house frontages/roofs. This will provide the 'back scene' at this end of the layout. I'll probably use some form of metal L brackets to support it all while not impeding the traverser.

In this shot you can also see the unusual fiddle yard. The fiddle yard is a traverser but in order to maximize storage as you can see where are two sidings on it too. The nearest two lines (nearest is out of shot) are conventional straight traverser tracks while the third road has the sidings. Thus having roads over the nearest lines won't matter as simply pulling the traverser away from the camera will expose them for any required fiddling.

Archived