Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

Morning Al.

Welcome to the minefield of track building, (see Bodgits 'Bitton') you can spend lots and lots of money if you want too and get nowhere fast, when really all you really need is a decent fine file and some soldering skills plus OOSF gauges and you're away ? me and bodgit use 4mm x 1.06 for points, and 3.3mm x 1.06 for plain track sleepers, with .75 Bullhead rail, and tons and tons of practise...

l too was baffled with Templot, as many of us are ?  So l dropped Martin Wynne a line and he kindly sent me some downloadable track plans to get me started, and l was away, all you have to do is follow the drawing and file all the track by hand until you get the right angles and stick with the OOSF gauges, as all my OO RTR stock runs through it with no trouble at all its just the soldering to master..

Hope this helps   George

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So, just to clarify, If you'd decided to settle for 00-SF, would you be able to get both correct gauges from C&L?

Yes mate, they sell both the track gauge (which I've already bought, see left of photo 2 pages ago) and the check rail gauge in 00-SF.

• RMweb Gold

Just to add further the 00SF gauge will fit to SMP track lovely.........

George

Thanks George.

My only issue now is I don't think SMP do flat-bottomed flexitrack and so - regarding the discussion with Chris - I don't know whether to ignore reality and stick with bullhead, or buy some flat-bottomed and go with that.

A couple of thoughts here Al:

While I will confess that I have not built anything using flat bottom rail I did read everything I could find before overcoming reasons for procrastination to build the turnout kit that I started with and the only difference to bullhead rail is that more filing is needed.

But....I noted that you mentioned that you will be using A6 (?) sized turnouts to replace your Peco ones: the point blades if made from flat bottom rather than bullhead will be stiffer and might not be flexible enough to work properly at this small size, without hinging them at the wing rail end - I think you need to either try it, or get advice from someone who does use flat bottom in 00

Steve

Al, just to throw my tuppen'orth in - when I tried to make a diamond crossing, I was using flat bottom - it's a pain in the ar%e to file and using the Brian Harrup method of folding just didn't work for me, the rail kept snapping and the foot of the rail didn't make it conducive to folding as it kept getting in the way.

Maybe it was just me though...

Al, just to throw my tuppen'orth in - when I tried to make a diamond crossing, I was using flat bottom - it's a pain in the ar%e to file and using the Brian Harrup method of folding just didn't work for me, the rail kept snapping and the foot of the rail didn't make it conducive to folding as it kept getting in the way.

Maybe it was just me though...

It seems that for the Brian Harrap method to work with flat bottom you need to file the inside of the rail before folding it Edited by sp1

It seems that for the Brian Harrap method to work with flat bottom you need to file the inside of the rail before folding it

Hmm, yes, I did try this, and that's when the rail started snapping, causing much "grring" and throwing of bits of rail in the bin! :)

It might have been the quality of the rail, I don't know, maybe it was too cold...

Another issue with doing the flatbottom Al is that the chairs on the plain track are not the type available commercially. Peco individulay range do the pandrol type which I used on my flatbottom pointwork on Outon Road and C & L now sell the exactoscale trackbases but I dont remember ever seeing the type in your pic available. I may be wrong. George I noticed that you joggled your stock rails on that picture. Not the usual practice in reality, I beleive it was more of a GWR thing (Martin can correct me here if need be) does that fit the prototype?

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to interrupt, your train of thought AL.

Sometime in the middle of the night, you passed the 100,000,  Congratulations, and to those who support and view your thread..... :drag:

Thanks David, so I did! My thanks to you and all the other contributors who have helped make this thread what it is.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Al.

The SMP track lines up with the hand built point very nicely (note the point sleepers are 4mm wide)

George

Thanks George, that looks great. One day, I might get to something that looks like that.

I think I might just stick with bullhead, and go for it.

Al.

Hi Al,

Firstly huge congratulations on going for building your own track, I'm sure that in time, you will possibly think of this as the best move you made!

I enclose a link here for you: http://www.mmrs.org.uk/technical/track.html- this should tell you a fair old bit about "modern" track with regards to the rail, sleepers & fastenings, as to building points in FB, I need to have a bit of a hunt, or are you sticking with BH?

Either way - BRILLIANT!

Cheers,

John.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al,

Firstly huge congratulations on going for building your own track, I'm sure that in time, you will possibly think of this as the best move you made!

I enclose a link here for you: http://www.mmrs.org.uk/technical/track.html- this should tell you a fair old bit about "modern" track with regards to the rail, sleepers & fastenings, as to building points in FB, I need to have a bit of a hunt, or are you sticking with BH?

Either way - BRILLIANT!

Cheers,

John.

Thanks very much John, and thanks for the link, I'll have a proper read through tonight.

I'm open to convincing otherwise, but at the moment I'm tempted to stay with bullhead, both because of the availability of the straight track, and also the ease of building over flat-bottomed.

Hi Al, Happy 100,000th. All the best Adrian.

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Al.

Hi Al,

As an ever present lurker, congrats on your 100,000!

Regards, Tony.

Thanks very much Tony, glad to see you're still here :)

• Like 3

Evening Al, wow its taken me three quarters of an hour to catch up from my post yesterday.

Firstly please allow me to congratulate you on the 100,000 posts, really great stuff and half of them must have come in in the last 48 hours by reading all the posts, ahha.

Now as for BH v FB,

Bitton was converted to Flat Bottom in the early 1960's but I have chosen to totally ignore that fact and so far, no one has mentioned that on my Bitton thread, and, even if they did I would get very annoyed and tell them where to go, as its easier to build it all in BH and have done with it.

At the end of the day, its still a dam site more accurate than the nearest Peco equivalent.

Well done mate, and as George says just go with it mate.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy, I know, all these great posts and help, it's brilliant!

Yes, I think I will stick with the bullhead for now, as you say, it will still look much better than the Peco stuff, (that is, if I can make a halfway decent job of the turnouts!)

Cheers, and thanks for showing me the way...

Al.

Wow no posts since I was last here. Still I would like to say I have found your thread the most inspirational this year, you turn your hand to so many things, and have kindly shared so many of the ways that you have succeeded in making such truly superb work. It was a shame you car was out of commission whilst many of us had the opportunity to meet up, hopefully something similar will occur another time. Your humour and comments often make me chuckle, and shall look forward to much more.

And finally

MERRY CHRISTMAS  to you and your family, hope its a good one. :sungum:

• Like 1