Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Al, with regards to the finial could you not drill a hole into it and add a small piece or brass tube or similar to give it more surface area for the glue? 

Hi Scott, yes I've done that now, it's all sorted, thanks.

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mr Beast, the black band is there, perhaps should be a little thicker? Al you have cheated, you've not put in the coloured glass in the spectacle plates! Get some film ordered from MSE immediately.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice work.

Don't forget the black band around the post where the diamond sign is attached on the two-way signal.

Thanks very much Dave. As Jonathan says, it is there, just not wide enough. I'll get it sorted.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mr Beast, the black band is there, perhaps should be a little thicker? Al you have cheated, you've not put in the coloured glass in the spectacle plates! Get some film ordered from MSE immediately.

Hi mate, I've got the colour filters, but didn't want to put them in until I'm sure I've finished everything else, in case they get paint / glue / anything else on them :)

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking nice Al, yet again.

Funny enough I was giving Dads spectacle plate (for his semaphore) a coat of undercoat this morning, and cleaning up the red and blue spectacles. In this case its a pressed steel spectacle, which is heavy enough, I can't imagine how heavy the cast ones are...

The clocks ticking I have to have it all ready for January.....

Andy G

• Like 2

This is the first modelling I've done using solder and brass, and I must admit I was very unsure about taking the plunge, but I'm really glad I did, even my rough efforts look far better than what you can buy from Ratio or (heaven forbid) Hornby.

And the great thing is, the more you do the better you'll get, of that there can be no doubt. So to all those out there unsure about taking the plunge - dive in and all power to your elbows (and soldering irons) :bb:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's the three MSE signals that I've built.

post-17302-0-20130800-1445447409_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-20487200-1445447413_thumb.jpg

All of them require a lamp fitting, and the spectacle lenses, and also a mechanism to make them work, which I'm looking at now, but otherwise they are complete.

Al.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Are you not making the dods as well then? (Or have I missed them?)

How about working them from a frame, with string....?

Andy G

Yes I am, I just haven't started them (or even ordered them) yet.

I was wondering about wire-in-tube, but my eventual goal is to computerise the layout so I'm also thinking about servo / solenoid solutions as well.

Al.

• Like 2

Al, I like your signals very much. I am glad you sorted out the wonky finial, I use brass wire of varying thickness when fixing things like that. It reminds me of the time when my eldest grand daughter at the age of about two ( she is 16 now) had a cackling hopping toy chicken which broke its leg. My son tried all sorts of ways to repair it. Eventually I used 1 mm brass wire connecting the two bits of leg plus good old Araldite. Never came apart again.

Derek

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, some nice looking signals. I will have at least three brackets, but I don't know how to make them work even if I wanted to. With single posts at least I could bash a motorised Dapol one. Are you going to put finials on top of those other two posts? I've seen some Midland posts with replacement square tops rather like ones you would put on garden fence posts.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan,

I have seen examples of working bracket signals in 4mm, but it's not something I would fancy tackling - the ones I've seen use tiny little cranks and rods as the prototype would.

As I've said, I don't have any photos of the Down starter, but certainly the Up Home had a flat square top as you describe, so yes, I'll be adding that to both.

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

This evening, I've carried out a couple of experiments.

I wasn't sure what the outcome would be, so you can follow me on my journey into the unknown.

First, I took the single Upper Quadrant signal that I made last, and drilled a couple of holes in the base plate, one as close I could get to the front of the post, and one smaller hole behind the post.

post-17302-0-49069700-1445634876_thumb.jpg

I cleaned up the surface and tinned it, and then soldered on a section of brass tube:

post-17302-0-51157600-1445634878_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-52968700-1445634880_thumb.jpg

You can see I got a bit close to the post in drilling the front hole - I need to touch up the paint! :O

post-17302-0-08319800-1445634882_thumb.jpg

That went pretty well really, and the idea is the brass tube will form the fixing into the baseboard, and also provide an access through the baseboard for a control wire to operate the signal, when I get round to it.

The second hole, we'll come back to in a bit.

The next thing I did was to add the coloured filters to the spectacle plate:

post-17302-0-65132500-1445634884_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-33666100-1445634886_thumb.jpg

I used a tiny amount of PVA glue to stick the filters to the back of the spectacle plate - PVA dries clear and I don't have any varnish or anything else posh.

This got me thinking.

You may remember a while back I added some working lamps to various locos, coaches and a brake van, using tiny LEDs.

I bought some more amber ones, with some resistors, just to have a stock.

Here's one of them:

post-17302-0-07695900-1445634888_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-75621200-1445634889_thumb.jpg

They are really small, and hard to photograph!

Now, my idea was, to use one of these LEDs for the signal lamp.

Seeing as the signal is all brass, I reasoned that I could use the signal as the return or negative wire for the power. I have some very thin enameled wire which i could use for the positive.

On the LED, by happy coincidence, the bottom lead is the cathode, or negative connection, and the top lead is the anode or positive connection.

I reckoned I could therefore solder the bottom lead to the lamp bracket, which would both hold the LED in place and provide the electrical connection.

As a start, I cleaned off the paint from the back edge of the lamp bracket, and tinned it up:

post-17302-0-57826000-1445634891_thumb.jpg

and then soldered on the LED, leaving the leads at full length for now:

post-17302-0-24830600-1445634893_thumb.jpg

Then, I soldered the enamel wire to the top lead, and added a resistor, and connected a 12v supply to it:

post-17302-0-14447800-1445636100_thumb.jpg

Well, that bit works :D :D

However, as you can see, there's quite a lot of yellow light leaking all over the place:

post-17302-0-58921100-1445636102_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-15734000-1445636105_thumb.jpg

Anyway, that seemed to prove the experiment a success, so, I de-soldered the LED from the lamp bracket and chopped the leads down:

post-17302-0-84607400-1445636107_thumb.jpg

and then I lathered it all in matt black paint and soldered it back on:

post-17302-0-13947800-1445636110_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-55969200-1445636113_thumb.jpg

Once re-connected, the resulting illumination was much better:

post-17302-0-29503000-1445636115_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-08031400-1445636117_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-03341200-1445636119_thumb.jpg

The enamel wire was stuck to the signal post with PVA glue, and painted to match the post, and has ended up almost invisible. The wire goes down the back of the signal post and then through the second hole in the base (told you we'd get back to it).

post-17302-0-81121900-1445636120_thumb.jpg

I reckon this experiment was a success, and I'm quite pleased with the result.

I will now look at doing the same to the double arm lower quadrant signal as well.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This is yet another example of why this forum is both inspiring and intimidating.

I would never in a million years have thought of this.  It is just so clever.

On the other hand it just shows how out of my depth I am in this hobby.

Keep up the great work.