Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, heres to more years, and thanks for sharing all your highs and lows, all the best Adrian

Thanks Adrian, and thanks for all the inspiration you've given me, with your work on Westerham. I'll never look at a pan-scourer the same again...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, the Bacup thread passed three years recently (27th Nov) but as I have done sod all on it other than building stock for the past five months and the thread sits far down the list nowadays (with The Mill hopefully moving into the limelight instead), I let it slide by unannounced.

When you think of where you were two years ago and where you are now, your progress as a modeller is astounding; long may it continue

Well, another year of this thread gone! :O

Looking back, at the start of this year I still hadn't finished the Station buildings, nor run any trains.

Here's what things looked like:

The station was roofless, and windowless:

attachicon.gifmain-station053.jpg

The goods yard was laid and ballasted, but things like the provender store and coal staithes didn't exist yet:

attachicon.gifone-year-on-002.jpg

Only the very basics of the scenery had been done, just some hanging basket liner thrown over the hillsides:

attachicon.gifone-year-on-005.jpg

The year started well, although the Station build dragged on until the end of February:

attachicon.gifbakewell-station01.jpg

attachicon.gifbakewell-station03.jpg

attachicon.gifbakewell-station06.jpg

attachicon.gifbakewell-station08.jpg

Then I started adding some more scenic details, and we had a spate of tree making:

attachicon.giftree-making042.jpg

followed by platform lights:

attachicon.gifstation-lights040.jpg

At the beginning of May, I finally wired up the main lines, and was able to run trains for the first time:

attachicon.gifgoods-yard003.jpg

Which also meant getting a lot of my stock out of storage!

I also started adding lighting to the buildings:

attachicon.giflights-goods-007.jpg

attachicon.giflights-sig-box-005.jpg

I returned from holiday at the start of June, full of a great new idea: to have a tunnel and cutting on the layout, for more photo opportunities, and this was slowly built over the next couple of months:

attachicon.giftunnel-portal226.jpg

attachicon.giftunnel-portal362.jpg

attachicon.gifcutting-work009.jpg

I built the Provender store, and the coal staithes:

attachicon.gifprov-store054.jpg

attachicon.gifcoal-store008.jpg

Then, I started adding scenic items, static grass, fences, hedges and so on:

attachicon.gifstation-scenics003.jpg

attachicon.gifstation-scenics007.jpg

attachicon.gifstation-scenics012.jpg

Along the way, I built a new interior for a Mark1 coach, added lights to locos and stock, made stone walls out of cat litter and hedges out of scouring pads, built a wrecked truck, and made a greenhouse, and a lawnmower (or two).

It's been an interesting year, I've learnt more new skills, made new friends, met some face-to-face, and had a great deal of support when i wasn't feeling like modelling.

Thanks to all of you, your help, support, suggestions and humour have all helped to make this thread what it is.

Here's to the next 12 months!

Thanks for looking,

Al

Congratulation Al, I remember you bringing the Station Building as shown in the first pic of this set down to our Open Weekend last Nov, Some really great modelling and such an inspiration to so many.

Please keep it up mate, well done.

Congratulations Alastair, the journey this far has been most enjoyable and I'm always looking forward to the next installment of progress.

I recall at the start you stated you'd come back into the hobby with low expectations, well your eye for detail is outstanding and you can't buy that.

For a layout with no Deltics, Grids, 40s or Tugs you've held my attention throughout and I can't think of much better praise from me!

Cheers mate, C6T.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough, the Bacup thread passed three years recently (27th Nov) but as I have done sod all on it other than building stock for the past five months and the thread sits far down the list nowadays (with The Mill hopefully moving into the limelight instead), I let it slide by unannounced.

When you think of where you were two years ago and where you are now, your progress as a modeller is astounding; long may it continue

Thanks Jason, that means a lot.

I'm enjoying following what you and Chris are doing on The Mill, as well as what you've done for (to) Bodgit :)

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Congratulation Al, I remember you bringing the Station Building as shown in the first pic of this set down to our Open Weekend last Nov, Some really great modelling and such an inspiration to so many.

Please keep it up mate, well done.

Thanks mate, you've really stepped up a gear now, I'm going to have to do some serious work to catch you up! :)

I've got to tackle those MSE signals yet :O

Al.

Lots of very nice modelling on here :paint:

Wil pop in again soon.

cheers neil.

Thanks Neil, great to see you on here.

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Alastair, the journey this far has been most enjoyable and I'm always looking forward to the next installment of progress.

I recall at the start you stated you'd come back into the hobby with low expectations, well your eye for detail is outstanding and you can't buy that.

For a layout with no Deltics, Grids, 40s or Tugs you've held my attention throughout and I can't think of much better praise from me!

Cheers mate, C6T.

Thanks mate, you've been a great help in all sorts of ways this year. I can't promise Deltics or Grids, but the odd 40 might appear - there is photographic evidence!

Cheers,

Al.

Ooh you tease!

If the current updated Bachmann Bucket puts you off price wise, the Lima effort scrubs up quite well. Many bemoan the failings of the pancake motor but methodical running in with extra weight will give Bakewell a passible 40 on its roster.

C6T.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the quantity of quality work, Al.  Your model of Bakewell is looking just superb, just like it looks in my memory.  In the early 60's I worked in Stafford but went home to Leeds on weekends.  Used to set off 5.30am Monday and travel Sheffield, Bakewell, Baslow, Ashbourne, Uttoxeter.  No motorway network then.

Derek

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations on the quantity of quality work, Al.  Your model of Bakewell is looking just superb, just like it looks in my memory.  In the early 60's I worked in Stafford but went home to Leeds on weekends.  Used to set off 5.30am Monday and travel Sheffield, Bakewell, Baslow, Ashbourne, Uttoxeter.  No motorway network then.

Derek

Thanks Derek, it means a lot when someone who knew the station when it was open recognises bits of the model. That's a hell of a commute for a Monday morning!

A friend of my Dad's, who used to travel to and from school by train in the 50s, came to see it the other day, and it was lovely seeing him pointing out where he used to sit, and all the memories it brought back to him.

Cheers,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 2

Bit late in the day Al, but congratulations on the amount you've achieved in the past year.

You, Andy P, George T, Jaz, Kal and Jason T especially have raised the bar as far as I'm concerned. You've given many modellers inspiration and the confidence to try something new and improve our own skills.

Can't wait to see what you produce in the next year

• Like 1

Would also like to add my support,to your followers, of your fashion.  passion.

I too have learnt a lot from the way you tackle thing's, ( also with Adrian).

Have you taken any "still" picture's with you newly acquired cam-truck yet  ?

Time, also to hint at the   Christmas stocking filler  to add to your l'amour-dou  armoury. 

• Like 1

Morning Al,

To stick at anything is an achievement in this busy world of ours today, and you should be very proud with your layout 'Bakewell' l have followed it from the start (all 105 pages of it),  'Bakewell' has been an inspiration to me, and so many others, well done.

Regards George

Hello Al

Pretty amazing that your on your second Anniversary. It's amazing how time flies. Especially what you've managed to accomplish in those couple of years. The buildings that you've created have certainly been no mean feat especially with the level of detail both inside and out. I feel extremely fortunate that I've actually got to see them in the flesh. Here's to the next two years.

See you soon mate.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, I thought I'd better see what sort of job I make of the points before I rip out what's there...

I've ordered the C & L sleepers you suggested, and I'll order the rails from SMP tomorrow, so should have the bits to make a start by next weekend.

Then we'll see! :O

I promise to post photos of what I've done, whether it be good or bad.

• Like 6

Hi Andy, I thought I'd better see what sort of job I make of the points before I rip out what's there...

I've ordered the C & L sleepers you suggested, and I'll order the rails from SMP tomorrow, so should have the bits to make a start by next weekend.

Then we'll see! :O

I promise to post photos of what I've done, whether it be good or bad.

Just curious why you have ordered the sleepers strip from C & L and plan to order the rail from SMP as C & L sell the same thing? (I had read that SMP rail is supposedly slightly under size - which would be a potential problem if it doesn't fit your gauges properly - but having measured both I don't think it is. Surely this means paying two lots of delivery charges?

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Just curious why you have ordered the sleepers strip from C & L and plan to order the rail from SMP as C & L sell the same thing? (I had read that SMP rail is supposedly slightly under size - which would be a potential problem if it doesn't fit your gauges properly - but having measured both I don't think it is. Surely this means paying two lots of delivery charges?

Steve

Ah, this was due to duff gen from Bodgit :)

I have now ordered both from C & L, so all should be well.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 2