Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

So, here's the completed barn:

post-17302-0-31099900-1426535826_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-68115800-1426535828_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-43703700-1426535835_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-44966600-1426535837_thumb.jpg

Oops, I say completed, but I haven't done the door frame... Doh!

Anyway, I will do that, and then it's time to start on the wider diorama which this is going to be part of.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 11

Its great to see you back in action again - and with some lovely subjects too. I still love that old Sammy Longson's rusty limespreader you made last year.

Can I ask a practical question about the barn's long lintol?

Does that represent a timber one - which is more likely costwise on a vernacular farm building - which might by now be deflecting a bit with the load of limestone walling above over....

Or is it a gritstone lintol? In which case I reckon it ought to look deeper in relation to the clear span and the load it carries. That span in stone would have been an expensive component for a farmer to come by - more something an industrialist like Arkwright would splash out for on one of his mills.

A good general source is Brunskill's 'Handbook of Vernacular Building' - a lot of its images can be found on line.

Best wishes

dh

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate,

It is meant to represent a stone lintel, although I do agree it's quite a long one, it wouldn't be that unusual to see around here.

We have some old stone llintels in the garden which we use as a border for a flower bed, and the longest of those is probably ten foot. We recovered them from a barn which we dismantled years ago.

There's a lot of gritstone lintels used in this part of the Peak, even in quite low status buildings, as it's a local stone I guess it was readily available.

Al.

• Like 2

Morning Al, just,

Superb is the word that springs to mind. On the lintel subject, AndyP's excellent photograph would suggest stone lintels, certainly on the smaller windows in the view posted. It's unlikely that the builder would switch materials in an area, as you point out, where the raw material is plentiful and therefore likely to be affordable! Well done mate,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, I might have missed it, but what are you thinking of storing in there? If it's livestock then you might want a dark "stain" around the bottom of the inside of the barn height dependent on the height of the animal - they used to get pretty manky in there. Or, to go completely off the beaten track, the barn across the farmyard I lived in back in Hebden Bridge was full of theatrical gondoliers and other assorted unlikely items as they were used by someone who was a member of the Gilbert and Sullivan Society.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jason,

That sounds like a good idea.

I think, over time, the barn would probably house a variety of livestock, and probably hay in winter as well, so muck from floor to cattle height would be appropriate :)

I haven't quite decided on what will be shown in the diorama - whether to put a piece of rusty machinery in there, or leave it empty.

Cheers mate,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant stuff Al and well observed. I cannot comment on your limestone up there, my expeience has been with the Wenlock edge in shropshire and the costwold stuff. The wenlock is a grey colour and vary hard it doesn't split cleanly so brickwork quoins were common, However the stuff is very strong I had to replace a rotten oak lintel 6ft wide and found it wasn't doing any supporting the wall was holding itself up. Costwold stuff is yellow and much softer particularly when freshly quarried so corner stone were cut for the quoins. The costwold roof slates were laid like your photo with the size of the stone slates reducing as they went up the slope.

It is good to see you posting again and turning out such nice models the trailer and baler are excellent. The trailer usually have a strong whiff of dung, disinfectant or both perhaps just as well that we don't add aromas to our layouts! I can just imagine it though.

Don

• Like 1

Thanks for commenting on the lintol - actually I like the way you leave it a bit ambiguous - at first glance it could be either material.

Vernacular building was traditionally something folk did when there was nothing more pressing such as harvesting, sheep shearing or potato picking  happening. It was also good after some kind of extreme weather had toppled a large disused building or a great tree.

:offtopic: I had a mate with a farm beside a bend on the river Irthing in Cumbria. He'd pray for a great elm or a beech to get washed up on his land after a (fairly frequent) flood then attack with a chainsaw to convert it into structural beams, usable timber and firewood.

He'd claim enthusiastically "see how chainsaws can leave marks just like a medaeval adze!"  He could fool the planners with his artistry! :)

dh

edit: granma grammar

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant stuff Al and well observed. I cannot comment on your limestone up there, my expeience has been with the Wenlock edge in shropshire and the costwold stuff. The wenlock is a grey colour and vary hard it doesn't split cleanly so brickwork quoins were common, However the stuff is very strong I had to replace a rotten oak lintel 6ft wide and found it wasn't doing any supporting the wall was holding itself up. Costwold stuff is yellow and much softer particularly when freshly quarried so corner stone were cut for the quoins. The costwold roof slates were laid like your photo with the size of the stone slates reducing as they went up the slope.

It is good to see you posting again and turning out such nice models the trailer and baler are excellent. The trailer usually have a strong whiff of dung, disinfectant or both perhaps just as well that we don't add aromas to our layouts! I can just imagine it though.

Don

Thanks Don,

Our Derbyshire limestone sounds like the Wenlock edge stuff - not surprising as it's only just over the border - it's very hard and brittle as you say, with sharp edges when split, as i've found to my cost when dry-stone walling.

Know what you mean about the smell of the trailer, you can't beat a bit of pig manure wafting on the breeze of a morning :)

Thanks for commenting on the lintol - actually I like the way you leave it a bit ambiguous - at first glance it could be either material.

Vernacular building was traditionally something folk did when there was nothing more pressing such as harvesting, sheep shearing or potato picking  happening. It was also good after some kind of extreme weather had toppled a large disused building or a great tree.

:offtopic: I had a mate with a farm beside a bend on the river Irthing in Cumbria. He'd pray for a great elm or a beech to get washed up on his land after a (fairly frequent) flood then attack with a chainsaw to convert it into structural beams, usable timber and firewood.

He'd claim enthusiastically "see how chainsaws can leave marks just like a medaeval adze!"  He could fool the planners with his artistry! :)

dh

edit: granma grammar

I think that might be one reason why gritstone lintels are so common round here - apart from the Chatsworth estate, there's very little timber of any size to use for building. The stone is probably the only option.

There's a lovely photo somewhere of an Oak tree that was brought by rail to help replace the beams in the church roof at Bakewell...

Ah, here it is:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bakewell/index157.shtml

excellent work Al. I see you've employed the microstrip ridge tile method -very effective isn't it?

Yes mate, it works very well - I can't remember whether I knicked it off you or Adrian :)

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Right then, the diorama...

Here's a pretty picture wot I drew...

post-17302-0-55133400-1426595788_thumb.jpg

That gives an idea of what I'm aiming for. It's going to be located in the corner of the layout above the cutting at the end of the goods yard.

So I started with an offcut of chipboard. I carved and sanded one corner to make a slope, so there's slightly less of a "flat-earth" feel to it:#

post-17302-0-86850500-1426595790_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-53817000-1426595794_thumb.jpg

I also added a bit of relief at the back corner with some scrap bits of wood.

post-17302-0-79450900-1426595797_thumb.jpg

Then I lathered it all in PVA glue,

post-17302-0-92842000-1426595799_thumb.jpg

and laid newspaper over the top

post-17302-0-48988500-1426595802_thumb.jpg

I added another bit of a bank with crumpled up newspaper in front of the barn, and then painted it all over with artists acrylic burnt umber, as a base on which to work from.

post-17302-0-05289700-1426595805_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-38912100-1426595807_thumb.jpg

That's as far as I've got. I may do some more tonight.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Well here's a post to bore even the most ardent modeller.

I've started adding static grass to the diorama, so here's your opportunity to just sit back, and watch the grass grow...

post-17302-0-65670400-1426623288_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-70962800-1426623290_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-19452000-1426623293_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-26385400-1426623295_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-65789700-1426623297_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-75097200-1426623299_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-18721200-1426623302_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-30741300-1426623304_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-65782100-1426623306_thumb.jpg

There, that's wasted a bit of time :D

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 9

Morning Al.

Great to have you back, l see your excellent modelling has not suffered in the break, l have looked at the web site, very good, keep the update pictures coming please....inspirational to many.

georgeT

• RMweb Gold

I've done a little bit more this evening, adding some more grass in places, and some gravel:

post-17302-0-93676800-1426708328_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-63789000-1426708331_thumb.jpg

I've also planted the abandoned truck which was the inspiration for this diorama:

post-17302-0-86344800-1426708333_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-07540200-1426708336_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-18061200-1426708338_thumb.jpg

There's plenty more to do, more undergrowth, and some dry stone walling, but it's beginning to come together:

post-17302-0-61615700-1426708340_thumb.jpg

Here's a nice view:

post-17302-0-83435900-1426708342_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Al.

• Like 6

Fantastic work Al. Absolutely stunning. That scene has real atmosphere. Just needs some "oo" gauge stinging nettles growing through the middle of them which invariable happens. Dread to think how you would create that though. Will definitely looking at your thread closely now for hints and tips. Especially the first building project which will probably be the road bridge by the depot.

Is the grass static grass or is it hanging basket liner. Going to be plenty of greenery to attend to on Peak Dale eventually.

Cheers

Marcus.

• Like 3