Wigan 2009

Andy Y

We have been monitoring our advance ticket sales in order to see how far visitors are prepared to travel to the Wigan Exhibition. Last years record holder was a gentleman who travelled from Falmoth, there and back in one day. This year we have already an number of Scottish visitors from Motherwll and Ayr. However our Blog reveals that we have a lady modeller who is coming from Somerset with a two day ticket to see Bath Green Park.

As far as I am aware the Taunton Model Railway Group have not brought their layout this far north, and at 60ft by 14ft this is some undertaking. Our Exhibition Manager booked it on one of his foraging trips to the West Country and has been raving about it ever since. He does have an eye for quality layouts as is evident by looking at past winners of the 'Best in Show' award. Narrow Road in 2006, Alkham in 2007 and Rowland's Castle which just pipped County Gate in 2008 have all been past winners.

Both Tony Wright and Chris Nevard have photographed Bath Green Park and it does look superb, however has anybody seen it in the flesh and can wet our appetite by giving us a report?

I shall be there on the High Wycombe and District MRS layout Hinton Parva and sometimes nr the RMweb stand.

Hi,

I will also be there operating Hinton Parva on the Sunday, but hope to be a visitor on Saturday afternoon!

Simon

After making the trip up last year for a great show, I'm definitely coming up to this years. Looks like it will be a great one.

Glad your are making the trip north. I take it you are from the West Country, so have you managed to catch a glimpse of the elusive Bath Green Park? I understand it has only been out half a dozen times in as many years and has never travelled north of Warley. I have only seen the photographs and they are superb, but I wonder if they do justice to a layout that is so big.

Hoping to visit this year, especially to see Bath green Park. delighted that they have brought it this far North. Trip down from Glasgow to see this and all the other layouts and do a bit of a recce as we hope to bring our layout of Alloa next year!

This year we have already an number of Scottish visitors from Motherwll and Ayr. However our Blog reveals that we have a lady modeller who is coming from Somerset with a two day ticket to see Bath Green Park.

I've been out of the country for the last 10 years but I remember the Wigan show as being one of the best on the circuit so fully intend coming down from Helensburgh. I went to the Blackburn show this month which I enjoyed, so it will be a pleasure to travel down to Lancashire again to see the layouts and traders stalls, only downside is that I'll have to stay with the in-laws again!

regards

Clive

Glad your are making the trip north. I take it you are from the West Country, so have you managed to catch a glimpse of the elusive Bath Green Park? I understand it has only been out half a dozen times in as many years and has never travelled north of Warley. I have only seen the photographs and they are superb, but I wonder if they do justice to a layout that is so big.

Yes and Yes, had the pleasure of seeing it. You are right, photographs are great but to see it 'in the flesh' is something else. Well worth coming up just to see that one again.

Having never been to the Wigan show before I am looking forward to it. I will hopefully be there with GWMark Jnr (aka Daniel) and the Hinton Parva crew from High Wycombe MRS

post-7152-12572006762873_thumb.png

We have a busy few weeks ahead - first we have Hinton at Wycrail, then we will be joining Graham Muz at the NEC with Fisherton Sarum and finally HP at Wigan - a nice finish to the year. We will need the rest over Christmas and I can see a lot of "compensation" will be required for the long suffering 3rd member of the family.

Mark

After making the trip up last year for a great show, I'm definitely coming up to this years. Looks like it will be a great one.

We hope that you will enjoy the show more this year, as its looking to be a great show,

you will have to keep an eye on the news page on our website as to further develpoments as we may still have a few things up our sleeve yet for this years show............

We have been monitoring our advance ticket sales in order to see how far visitors are prepared to travel to the Wigan Exhibition. Last years record holder was a gentleman who travelled from Falmoth, there and back in one day. This year we have already an number of Scottish visitors from Motherwll and Ayr. However our Blog reveals that we have a lady modeller who is coming from Somerset with a two day ticket to see Bath Green Park.

As far as I am aware the Taunton Model Railway Group have not brought their layout this far north, and at 60ft by 14ft this is some undertaking. Our Exhibition Manager booked it on one of his foraging trips to the West Country and has been raving about it ever since. He does have an eye for quality layouts as is evident by looking at past winners of the 'Best in Show' award. Narrow Road in 2006, Alkham in 2007 and Rowland's Castle which just pipped County Gate in 2008 have all been past winners.

Both Tony Wright and Chris Nevard have photographed Bath Green Park and it does look superb, however has anybody seen it in the flesh and can wet our appetite by giving us a report?

I can update the distant travellers to Wigan. More Scots, this time from Fife and Edinburgh, and also some brave southerners from Harlow in Essex. As yet no sign of the gentleman from Falmouth.

Also A1 Models tells us that they are launching four new products for On30 and OO9 modellers at Wigan. One is a Baldwin narrow gauge locomotive based around the Underground Ernie chassis produced by Bachmann. Sounds interesting.

Bath Green Park really is quite extraordinary as well as being vast - well worth the round trip whether you're a fan of the Midland Branch to Bath or not. One of the joys is that you can still enjoy the real building to this day.

These two shots were taken at Warley 2007 and are ?© Chris Nevard & Hornby Magazine.

post-6681-12574521171449_thumb.jpg

post-6681-12574521591434_thumb.jpg

Bath Green Park really is quite extraordinary as well as being vast - well worth the round trip whether you're a fan of the Midland Branch to Bath or not. One of the joys is that you can still enjoy the real building to this day.

These two shots were taken at Warley 2007 and are ?© Chris Nevard & Hornby Magazine.

I'll be on Wigan Demo stand but will probably spend most of the time stading in front of Bath Green Park.

It has even managed to get a mate to leave the boundries of Bolton (cost me the use of my Sat Nav as he can't find Wigan from Bolton!) to come over and look at it.

EXHIBITION UPDATE

Pete Waterman has kindly agreed to open our exhibition this year and he is also signing copies of his recently published book, adjacent to the Book Law Publication stand, who incidentally have twelve new titles available at Wigan. Four are new 'Steam Colour Portfolio' publications compiled by Tom Sherratt with a foreword by Pete Waterman. There are two new additions to the 'Steam Memories in Colour' series and six new 'Steam Memories; 1950's-1960's'.

A1 Models also informs us that he has four new narrow gauge kits in On30 and OO9 available at Wigan, one of which is a Baldwin Loco based around the Underground Ernie chassis produced by Bachmann.

A lot of interest seems to have been generated by Bath Green Park but this is not the only layout that is travelling from down south to Wigan. Infrequent visitors to the north will also be Cheddar, Evenstow, Hinton Prava, Horton Regis, Ogden Fold, Ormston Town and Well Creek Basin who will all have lengthy uphill journeys to Wigan. Burntisland, from the East of Scotland Group will have an equally lengthy journey but of course made easier by travelling downhill.

Advance Tickets are selling well despite the postal irregularities. The cut off date for those still wishing to obtain dicounted entrance is Friday 28th November. As yet there is still no sign of the gentleman from Falmouth.

I'm really looking forward to this year's show and for the first time in a decade have given up going to Warley to ensure I can come to Wigan instead. For me this the premier show north of the Watford gap!

I've seen Bath Green Park twice and it is an impressive piece of modelling, I just hope I will get to see slightly more trains on the move which was a bit of an issue last time I saw it at Warley where it often seemed to be the worlds longest Model railway diarama B) Still all layouts have teething problems and I'm sure it will have come on leaps and bounds again.

My apologies for the duplication of the A1 Models product information. Is this the onset of senility?

However, if you have the December issue of 'British Railway Modelling' to hand you will be able to view on page 68, Michael Thomas's 'Whitley South Dock', a rather interesting model of a most unusual prototype. Although not mentioned in the magazine this is one of the forty quality layouts at Wigan this year.

Really looking forward to seeing this for real rather than just the photos that we have been given, plus the one's on here, although looking at the picture on here it looks as if some of our 'team helpers' have already had a good look at it, with a certain Gerry Byrne in the front of the photo, so guess we will find him a job to do so the rest of us can have a good look.

Can't believe that its only 28 days till the show, it seems like 5 minutes since the last one, want to say a huge thanks to the guys last night for helping out with the exhibition stuff, at least we made a dent in it now...... (will be glad when we can enjoy the show).

Really looking forward to seeing this for real rather than just the photos that we have been given, plus the one's on here, although looking at the picture on here it looks as if some of our 'team helpers' have already had a good look at it, with a certain Gerry Byrne in the front of the photo, so guess we will find him a job to do so the rest of us can have a good look.

Can't believe that its only 28 days till the show, it seems like 5 minutes since the last one, want to say a huge thanks to the guys last night for helping out with the exhibition stuff, at least we made a dent in it now...... (will be glad when we can enjoy the show).

Only 28 days to the best show in the North West (i've seen some of the rest, but they don't compare to Wigan) looking forward to seeing Bath Green Park, Bassenthwaite Lake and Hassel Harbour Bridge

EXHIBITION UPDATE

Pete Waterman has kindly agreed to open our exhibition this year and he is also signing copies of his recently published book, adjacent to the Book Law Publication stand, who incidentally have twelve new titles available at Wigan. Four are new 'Steam Colour Portfolio' publications compiled by Tom Sherratt with a foreword by Pete Waterman. There are two new additions to the 'Steam Memories in Colour' series and six new 'Steam Memories; 1950's-1960's'.

A1 Models also informs us that he has four new narrow gauge kits in On30 and OO9 available at Wigan, one of which is a Baldwin Loco based around the Underground Ernie chassis produced by Bachmann.

A lot of interest seems to have been generated by Bath Green Park but this is not the only layout that is travelling from down south to Wigan. Infrequent visitors to the north will also be Cheddar, Evenstow, Hinton Prava, Horton Regis, Ogden Fold, Ormston Town and Well Creek Basin who will all have lengthy uphill journeys to Wigan. Burntisland, from the East of Scotland Group will have an equally lengthy journey but of course made easier by travelling downhill.

Advance Tickets are selling well despite the postal irregularities. The cut off date for those still wishing to obtain dicounted entrance is Friday 28th November. As yet there is still no sign of the gentleman from Falmouth.

Looks like we have beaten the furthest visitor this year, we received a comment on our website blog that we will have a visitor coming from Calgary in Canada, he is flying in that morning, so looks like we will have to go a long way to beat this, but if you do count one of our 'helpers' he is flying in from America, so i'm not sure if we will beat this.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like we have beaten the furthest visitor this year, we received a comment on our website blog that we will have a visitor coming from Calgary in Canada, he is flying in that morning, so looks like we will have to go a long way to beat this, but if you do count one of our 'helpers' he is flying in from America, so i'm not sure if we will beat this.

Probably a good time to mention that Tony Sissons will be in the UK and at the show, he will be with us assisting our friends at Wigan keeping things running smoothly, but should be available for discussions on his tips and techniques, probably on one of the demo tables if anybody wants to chat with him B)

A visitor coming from Calgary in Canada, I wasn't aware our publicity machine rolled out that far. Does this mean we could rebrand ourselves as WigEx International, or are we getting ideas above our station?

We did have a young lady at the show last year who was from New Zealand, though I suspect she had'nt come all that way just for our show! She did insist on taking a photo of us on the demo stand however.

Simon

We did have a young lady at the show last year who was from New Zealand, though I suspect she had'nt come all that way just for our show! She did insist on taking a photo of us on the demo stand however.

Simon

Perhaps she came all the way for the photo or is it your Lynx aftershave. WigEX International is looking a real marketing winner.

Archived