Wigan 2009

Andy Y

NO - think of all the jokes about bald men who once wore wigs :D

Mike

Perhaps you are right.

However if you are a Railway Modeller reader you may have noticed on page 906 the 'Scaleforum Report' that informs us that 'Burntisland' collected two awards. Although not mentioned in the report, Burntisland will be one of the forty layouts at Wigan in December.

One thing I have got my eyes on for this years show and which is on my shopping list, is the new 4mm Mermaid ballast wagon by Flangeway Models which is due for release over the next week or two IIRC. As Flangeway are at the show(new trader for 2009), I think my wallet may take a slight battering!! biggrin.gif

Simon

One thing I have got my eyes on for this years show and which is on my shopping list, is the new 4mm Mermaid ballast wagon by Flangeway Models which is due for release over the next week or two IIRC. As Flangeway are at the show(new trader for 2009), I think my wallet may take a slight battering!! biggrin.gif

Simon

Guess you won't be telling the Mrs that you are going on a spending spree at the exhibition........ or will you be giving them to chris to keep for you and then bring them over saying he's had them ages?.

We all know how it works as Andy is the same when he buys things at the show, and i find out 6 months later!!!!!

Guess you won't be telling the Mrs that you are going on a spending spree at the exhibition........ or will you be giving them to chris to keep for you and then bring them over saying he's had them ages?.

We all know how it works as Andy is the same when he buys things at the show, and i find out 6 months later!!!!!

Well I might get away with the Mermaids, but I forgot the Dapol OO China Clay Silver Bullets are due out in December aswell, if any are for sale at Wigan, then I may get into serious trouble. Time to formulate a plan me thinks............

Simon

A visitor coming from Calgary in Canada, I wasn't aware our publicity machine rolled out that far. Does this mean we could rebrand ourselves as WigEx International, or are we getting ideas above our station?

Looks like our publicity machine is better than we ever thought, as just received a very nice email from Ian in Perth Western Australia, and he is flying over for the exhibition on the saturday, he left a comment on our Blog, so looks like he is the winner of the furthest traveller this year.........

So we must be doing something right if we are getting visitors from the other side of the world. :icon_thumbsup2::icon_clap::icon_www: Wigan FRM BLOG

Just a gentle reminder to all those visitors to the Exhibition wishing to obtain a discount and also miss the early morning queue, that Friday 27th November is the final day for the reciept of inquiries for Advance Tickets. Please note we do not offer any other discount other than the Advance Ticket which is available to everyone. For more information go to www.wiganfrm.org.uk and download a request form.

Just a gentle reminder to all those visitors to the Exhibition wishing to obtain a discount and also miss the early morning queue, that Friday 27th November is the final day for the reciept of inquiries for Advance Tickets. Please note we do not offer any other discount other than the Advance Ticket which is available to everyone. For more information go to www.wiganfrm.org.uk and download a request form.

Have you got any agreements sorted with the car parking owners this year? I seem to remember last year we had a few problems with the car park attendants charging ??5 when they realised there were a few punters around. It's not a problem as I still believe it was good value for money, however it was just unexpected when the implication was that parking was only charged on match days.

Have you got any agreements sorted with the car parking owners this year? I seem to remember last year we had a few problems with the car park attendants charging ??5 when they realised there were a few punters around. It's not a problem as I still believe it was good value for money, however it was just unexpected when the implication was that parking was only charged on match days.

The car parking situation is thus. The carparks in front of the Sports & Tennis Centre (the Exhibition Venue) and the Sports Arena across the road are free and as they are under the control of the centre will always remain so. This year we will try and move some of the exhibitors and traders vehicles to the coach park further along Loire Drive to free up more spaces.

However the large car parks by the Cinema Complex are owned by a Development Company and frankly they are a law unto themselves. They certainly charge on match days to deter football supporters from using their car parks instead of the DW Stadium Car Parks on the other side. As Wigan are not playing at home on our exhibition weekend in theory they should not be charging. They may decide to make money out of Christmas shoppers who may be using the Retail Park or indeed visitors to our Model Railway Exhibition. If we go and ask for clarification of the situation they almost certainly will!! At the moment we are letting sleeping dogs lie.

Our advise is therefore arrive early and try and claim a free space in the car parks attached to the centre, i.e. the two large ones at the front, two smaller ones along Loire Drive adjacent to the running track or the two smaller ones at the rear of the tennis centre. Beware of parking on private property or you will be clamped.

Failing this park by the Cinema Complex and be prepared to pay and be pleasently suprised if payment is not required.

The car parking situation is thus. The carparks in front of the Sports & Tennis Centre (the Exhibition Venue) and the Sports Arena across the road are free and as they are under the control of the centre will always remain so. This year we will try and move some of the exhibitors and traders vehicles to the coach park further along Loire Drive to free up more spaces.

However the large car parks by the Cinema Complex are owned by a Development Company and frankly they are a law unto themselves. They certainly charge on match days to deter football supporters from using their car parks instead of the DW Stadium Car Parks on the other side. As Wigan are not playing at home on our exhibition weekend in theory they should not be charging. They may decide to make money out of Christmas shoppers who may be using the Retail Park or indeed visitors to our Model Railway Exhibition. If we go and ask for clarification of the situation they almost certainly will!! At the moment we are letting sleeping dogs lie.

Our advise is therefore arrive early and try and claim a free space in the car parks attached to the centre, i.e. the two large ones at the front, two smaller ones along Loire Drive adjacent to the running track or the two smaller ones at the rear of the tennis centre. Beware of parking on private property or you will be clamped.

Failing this park by the Cinema Complex and be prepared to pay and be pleasently suprised if payment is not required.

Just adding to Peter's comments above with regards to parking on private property in the Robin Park area. If you park on any access/service roads to the rear of the shops/cinema, you will find your car clamped, the security there do not mess around. These areas are required for access by HGV's/ staff car parking. If you see someone else park there, do not follow suit, use one of the car parks which Peter has mentioned above. It is better to pay ??5 if they are charging on the day, rather than parking were you shouldn't and have to pay a ??80-100 release bill for the clamp.

Cheers

Simon

Thank you to everyone who has purchased Advance Tickets for our 2009 exhibition, We look forward to seeing you at the show.

In order to ensure that everyone receives their tickets on time, they are no longer availble online.

The Wigan Finescale Model Railway Exhibition is now less than 2 weeks away. To help with regards parking your car and finding the show, we have created the following guide/map:

post-6834-12596555948198_thumb.jpg

Postcode for SATNAV: WN5 0UH

Right, just to get the point across with regards car parking. The car parks shaded green and numbered 1,2 & 3 are free to use all day, these belong to the Robin Park Sports hall and Arena which is were the show is held.

Free off street car parking can also be found in Norley Hall, which is shown on the map, basically the other side of Robin Park road opposite the Red Robin Pub. This is approx a 5 min walk from show.

Next, we have the yellow areas consisting of car parks 4,5 & 6. Car park 4 is the large retail car park, car parks 5 & 6 are for the cinema. These have restrictions in place about how long you are permitted to park. These car parks can charge a fee of ??5 aswell. Please check the signs which are in these carparks to ensure you are parked correctly and to see what restrictions are in place on the day.

Do not park in any area where it is highlighted Red or any where were it is quite clearly a service road/verge etc. The area in front of the DW stadium is for permit holders only and is barrier access. The areas behind the shops/cinema buildings are for staff car parking and HGV access. If you park here, your car will be clamped, the security are pretty quick in carrying this out.

Please note the following statement:

All vehicles must be parked in a designated space and not on the public footpath. The Robin Park Complex has 24-hour C.C.T.V security covering

the parking areas.In the event of loss or damage to vehicles or their contents neither Wigan Finescale Railway Modellers nor the venue owners [WCLT] will accept any liability for that loss or damage.

I hope the above 'guide' will be of use. If you enter the postcode WN5 0UH into Multimap or Aboutmyplace, you can select street map, ariel photo or birdseye view for an even better understanding of the Robin Park complex layout, where the car parks can be found and also the side streets in Norley Hall opposite the Robin Park site. Directions to the show can be found here: Wigan Model Railway Exhibition Directions

PS, the colour coding used in the above map is not actually physically used in the Robin Park area.

Also this post may be edited prior to the show to update the latest information. Hope this is of some use.biggrin.gif

Cheers

Simon

New this year are discounted Advance Tickets. Full details are on our Website www.wiganfrm.org.uk As there is a separate entrance for ticket holders you will also by-pass the early morning entrance queue. This year there is no reason why anyone should not have gained entrance to Wigan at a discount.

Apart from those of us like me who have looked at your website today and decided to go and book an advance ticket only to find that they are not available after 27th November- not actually mentioned on your show flyers. I would have thought that it would still be possible to buy an advance ticket for a show that is still 11 days away- maybe something for the team to look at for next year.

EDIT- On reading back through the past three pages of this topic I realise that the advance tickets issue has been mentioned throughout however I have only just read these pages today. I do also feel that anyone who is not a member of this forum who sees your flyer and decides to get an advance ticket might be disappointed to find them not available anymore and decide not to attend which would be a real shame as they would be missing a quality show. Maybe the words "for a limited period" needs to be added to the wording on the flyer? My worry though is the car park. It has always been free to park so I will be disappointed if not able to find the free spaces- are they clearly marked please?

However the lack of advance tickets will not stop me from attending- Wigan always put on a good show. The pay at the door price is good value too and it will be nice to catch up with Mostyn (extended form), London Road - any layout with an LNWR type 4 is worth seeing, and Millport Victoria (same as previous but with an overhead version) albeit in a non running state. I am looking forward to others such as the LSWR one (forgotten name), Whitley and Ashover amongst others.

Should be a good show- I will be visiting on the Sunday- hopefully the traffic from the Midlands will be a bit easier- might be worth looking at rail options. Need to decide if I should wear my Spurs shirt...

I assume there will be an RMWeb meet there? Now to work out some strategies on how not to spend too much money..

Apart from those of us like me who have looked at your website today and decided to go and book an advance ticket only to find that they are not available after 27th November- not actually mentioned on your show flyers. I would have thought that it would still be possible to buy an advance ticket for a show that is still 11 days ago- maybe something for the team to look at for next year.

However it will not stop me from attending- Wigan always put on a good show. The pay at the door price is good value too and it will be nice to catch up with Mostyn (extended form), London Road - any layout with an LNWR type 4 is worth seeing, and Millport Victoria (same as previous but with an overhead version) albeit in a non running state.

Should be a good show- I will be visiting on the Sunday- hopefully the traffic from the Midlands will be a bit easier- might be worth looking at rail options. Need to decide if I should wear my Spurs shirt...

I assume there will be an RMWeb meet there?

Hi Natalie,

The reason for the 27th as the last day is the uncertainties concerning the postal system. We are getting enquiries that have obviously been in the postal system some time. We have posted the date both on our website and on the Rmweb but obviously you missed it. If you Email Sam (Wigan Admin) by Personal Message I am sure she will be able to orgainise you a ticket that you could pick up at the desk. She is very helpful.

Apart from those of us like me who have looked at your website today and decided to go and book an advance ticket only to find that they are not available after 27th November- not actually mentioned on your show flyers. I would have thought that it would still be possible to buy an advance ticket for a show that is still 11 days away- maybe something for the team to look at for next year.

EDIT- On reading back through the past three pages of this topic I realise that the advance tickets issue has been mentioned throughout however I have only just read these pages today. I do also feel that anyone who is not a member of this forum who sees your flyer and decides to get an advance ticket is not going to be too impressed to find them not available anymore. Maybe the words "for a limited period" needs to be added to the wording on the flyer? My big worry though is the car parking- if I find that I have to pay ??5 to park then I may well simply turn round and head south. It has always been free to park so I will be very disappointed if not able to find the free spaces- are they clearly marked please?

However the lack of advance tickets will not stop me from attending- Wigan always put on a good show. The pay at the door price is good value too and it will be nice to catch up with Mostyn (extended form), London Road - any layout with an LNWR type 4 is worth seeing, and Millport Victoria (same as previous but with an overhead version) albeit in a non running state. I am looking forward to others such as the LSWR one (forgotten name), Whitley and Ashover amongst others.

I assume there will be an RMWeb meet there? Now to work out some strategies on how not to spend too much money..

Hi Natalie i have sent you a PM, if you could get back to me that would be great.

Thanks

Sam

On looking at my post again it does sound critical of the Wigan committee. This was not my intention and I apologise unreservedly if my comments have caused them any offence or upset. I also sound like a tight fisted winging old cow (and no comments from anyone that knows me in person :P ) I merely am not a fan of queues which makes me very un-British!

Thank you for the very kind and generous offer but as I have said in my pm I will decline it as I should not get special treatment merely as I have winged about it and more importantly the ??8 admission on the door is very good value for a show of such high quality. I have no hesitation in paying the full amount on the door. It is more an indictment on the postal system nowadays that there has to be a cut ff of three weeks before a show to guarantee people get their tickets.

The car park map is also very useful and I shall print it off to bring with me. Hopefully I will get to park in the free area but if not then ??5 is not going to break the bank. A shame though that it will not go into the coffers of the Wigan FRM.

Again I offer my apologies to Wigan FRM and exhibition committee and wish them all the best for what promises to be another excellent show.

On looking at my post again it does sound critical of the Wigan committee. This was not my intention and I apologise unreservedly if my comments have caused them any offence or upset. I also sound like a tight fisted winging old cow (and no comments from anyone that knows me in person :P ) I merely am not a fan of queues which makes me very un-British!

Thank you for the very kind and generous offer but as I have said in my pm I will decline it as I should not get special treatment merely as I have winged about it and more importantly the ??8 admission on the door is very good value for a show of such high quality. I have no hesitation in paying the full amount on the door. It is more an indictment on the postal system nowadays that there has to be a cut ff of three weeks before a show to guarantee people get their tickets.

The car park map is also very useful and I shall print it off to bring with me. Hopefully I will get to park in the free area but if not then ??5 is not going to break the bank. A shame though that it will not go into the coffers of the Wigan FRM.

Again I offer my apologies to Wigan FRM and exhibition committee and wish them all the best for what promises to be another excellent show.

There is no problem, we do not take offence that easily as I,m sure none was intended. Please seek us out at the show as we would welcome your comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the Wigan Experience. Car Parking is however not something we can control and is a contentious issue both for ourselves and for the Sports Centre, caught as we are in the cross fire between the Development Company and Dave Whelan and the DW Stadium. With regards to the Spurs shirt you will be pleased to know that the Sports Centre Staff are all qualified First Aiders.

For visitors and particularly those interested in the 'Premier Line' we have to report the withdrawal of Roger Stapleton's 'LNWR Steam Shed' due to him awaiting medical attention. Needless to say we wish him well and hope to be able to reinvite his layout in the future.

We have a replacement in mind and I will post information when things are confirmed.

For visitors and particularly those interested in the 'Premier Line' we have to report the withdrawal of Roger Stapleton's 'LNWR Steam Shed' due to him awaiting medical attention. Needless to say we wish him well and hope to be able to reinvite his layout in the future.

We have a replacement in mind and I will post information when things are confirmed.

I can now confirm that the relacement for LNWR Steam Shed is Robin Nixon's 'Green River,Wyoming' which is an American diesel layout in N gauge featuring locomotives and stock from the Union Pacific and the Burlington Northern. We are very grateful to Robin and the guys from Normanton & Pontefract for stepping into the breach at such short notice.

A FINAL UPDATE

As far as last minute preparations are concerned, everything seems to be OK. The road signs should all be in place tomorrow. If you are travelling by car, follow the Brown Signs for Robin Park and then the Blue RAC Signs for Model Railway Exhibition and finally when you are on the Robin Park Complex follow the White Signs on the lamp posts for Model Rail Show. When putting these signs up last Sunday I noticed that the Cinema Complex car park was not charging. Hopefully it will be the same this weekend, but you never can tell.

We have heard that Flangeway are launching their Mermaid Ballast Tipper Wagon produced for them by Dapol at Wigan.

Also we have heard that 'Burntisland 1883' picked up two awards at the recent Scaleforum Event. Another layout at Wigan that is not to be missed.

Finally, the weather forcast is for 'fine and sunny' which will make a pleasent change as for the last two years it has been anything but that. So we are good to go.

Archived