Wigan 2009

Andy Y

A FINAL UPDATE

As far as last minute preparations are concerned, everything seems to be OK. The road signs should all be in place tomorrow. If you are travelling by car, follow the Brown Signs for Robin Park and then the Blue RAC Signs for Model Railway Exhibition and finally when you are on the Robin Park Complex follow the White Signs on the lamp posts for Model Rail Show. When putting these signs up last Sunday I noticed that the Cinema Complex car park was not charging. Hopefully it will be the same this weekend, but you never can tell.

We have heard that Flangeway are launching their Mermaid Ballast Tipper Wagon produced for them by Dapol at Wigan.

Also we have heard that 'Burntisland 1883' picked up two awards at the recent Scaleforum Event. Another layout at Wigan that is not to be missed.

Finally, the weather forcast is for 'fine and sunny' which will make a pleasent change as for the last two years it has been anything but that. So we are good to go.

Been down to the hall today to start getting stuff unloaded ready for the big set up day tomorrow. at least it was a bit warmer this year rather than the freezing cold and the rain....

B)

a) is there any cash machines anywhere near?

B) does the hall have heating?

Thanks

Cash machines are situated by Boots Chemist on the Robin Park Retail Park and also by the Asda Superstore. The hall is heated and when all the outer doors are closed it will be OK. It remains to be seen if those people arriving on Saturday have read the instruction and bring stuff in through the front so that all the sports Hall doors can be kept closed to keep the heat in.

I've been sufficiently tempted to make the trek by train from darkest 'Ampshire to Wigan tomorrow - 05:41 from Basingstoke - 09:37 at Wigan NW (pretty good going actually) - looking forward to it - nice long train ride / layout enjoyment & some retail (hopefully) therapy. :D

Uncle Joe's mint ball anyone ??

I'm coming down from Glasgow on Saturday with 3 mates. Looking forward to the exhibition, especially Bath Green Park, a layout I have wanted to see for years. I will enjoy the train journey down but the trip back up might be by bus as the main line between Carlisle & Glasgow appears to be closing after about 11.00 tomorrow morning.

Jim

I shal be making the trek over the hills from Skelmersdale on Sunday. I am really looking forward to it and seeing the quality layouts that are advertised. I shall have my new camera ready for closeups. I will leave my rucksack at home and bring the small daysack, (carried not worn) its large enough for a drink, a pie and a little bit of shopping.

After showering and powdering I should be there about 10.30.

Will be especially interested if any layouts are using Alex Jackson or Sprat & Winkle Coupling.

Just got back from the exhibition. Very good indeed. Not to overcrowded, my young kids got to see everything OK

Bachman had the new GC 2-8-0 and City of Truro on display, amongst other things. Very nice models indeed.

Best layout in show, for me was Hassel Harbour Bridge - fantastic. Whitley South Dock, Mostyn, Loughborough Midland impressed also - nice layouts with plenty of action. Good trade support too.

Well worth the visit.

Brit15

I've just got home from the exhibition: it was the best for layouts that I've been to in years. Highly recommended, not even that busy - is that a worry?

The exhibition guide starts off "We have made a conscious decision to invite every quality layout that we see on the exhibition circuit to come to Wigan, regardless of cost or locality. We need forty such layouts every year . . ."

I have no connection with the exhibition organisers, but I'd say they had acheived their aim, because the standard of layout building was superb. Yes, you will have seen some of the railways before, but I suggest they are mainly of the type that you can well see again.

Go if you can,

Cheers

Well I enjoyed my first trip to Wigan and am back safely in NW Wales.

I thought the exhibition was very good, with plenty of layouts and trade support (I mamanged to get everything I was looking for). I didn't think that there were enough "modern" layouts for my liking (maybe 4 diesel layouts in total) but that didn't spoil the overall experience.

My only gripe, I didn't get my hands on one of the famous pies!

I didn't think that there were enough "modern" layouts for my liking (maybe 4 diesel layouts in total).

That too was my only disappointment on an otherwise good show.

Out of the 40 or so layouts I only saw Mostyn and Loughborough as representing D&E era layouts, maybe a few others had an early diesel running with steam?

Pete

Ha Ha, was there from about 11.30 (got lost and I only drove from Bolton) and generally very impressed. However, contrary to an earlier poster, I thought it was very busy, which is good for the exhibition and traders. Time will tell when the 'gate' figures are published.

Hassel Harbour Bridge was indeed very impressive but once again my favorite was Rowlands Castle, cos the attention detail is just so good. Also very good was Camp 93, the logging layout, with DCC sound and some superbly detailed and weathered stock.

Pete Waterman was very loud when he did his 'PA' but remains a great ambassador for our hobby.

All in all a good day.

PL

.......I don't think there is a better show in the Northwest now than Wigan. :D

I don't think there is a better show in the Northwest now than Wigan.

Penlan..... (Penlan, the layout, scheduled to be there in 2012).

Well I enjoyed my first trip to Wigan and am back safely in NW Wales.

I thought the exhibition was very good, with plenty of layouts and trade support (I mamanged to get everything I was looking for). I didn't think that there were enough "modern" layouts for my liking (maybe 4 diesel layouts in total) but that didn't spoil the overall experience.

My only gripe, I didn't get my hands on one of the famous pies!

Next time maybre, Christian!

The exhibition guide starts off "We have made a conscious decision to invite every quality layout that we see on the exhibition circuit to come to Wigan, regardless of cost or locality. We need forty such layouts every year . . ."

I think investing in getting good layouts is the way to go, We do the same at Railex, and the feedback that people like to see the top quality layouts rather than have cheaper space fillers.

David

Yes Mr Waterman was rather loud.... especially after Tony Wright was just the right volume.

Got in at 9.50 with advance tickets & got our pick of the layouts for about an hour. Then it got busy.

Excellent show though & nice pies

Excellent exhibiton - well worth the journey !

Shame about the Seven Stars pub (landmark for the walk from the station) - what a fine building being left to rot .

MOSTYN - worth the entrance fee alone but then the general quality of the layouts on show was superb.

What a great show, just got back with a few goodies!!wink.gif

Some fantastic layouts there, with real high class models.

Pete Waterman as always when I meet him at shows was very helpful and chatty about his modelling and forth coming TV shows. a real down to earth guy. A real ambassador for the hobby in everyday

Will defo be going again next year.

Excellent exhibiton - well worth the journey !

Shame about the Seven Stars pub (landmark for the walk from the station) - what a fine building being left to rot .

MOSTYN - worth the entrance fee alone but then the general quality of the layouts on show was superb.

It is a shame about the Seven Stars pub - Had a roof fire earlier in the year. However there are several very nice "old style" pubs nearby - Walk around the RHS of the DW stadium, (opposite the exhibition hall), over the new footbridge over the canal & river Douglas, left under the Southport rail line and into Frog Lane. Turn right. You have Bricklayers Arms, walk towards town 1/4 mile, under the magnificent old WCML tall stone skew bridge to Sams Bar and The Old Pear Tree, (my locals). The latter does meals and real ale.

Hope they are still going next year !!!

Brit15

Just got back from the Wigan show..............fantastic!

I agree Mostyn is worth the entrance fee alone, and I actually chatted to the operators today too, what a nice bunch of guys.

I could spend hours at Mostyn, it has got to be the best BR blue era layout around.

Picked up few required bits too, but failed to strike a nice deal on a Lenz 100 set.

A thoroughly enjoyable day!!!

Archived