Recommended Printer?

Hi All,

I have a number of N Gauge SS kits and have been using a colour laser printer to print them but was wondering if any one could recommend an inkjet to me?

I've looked and most of them seem to be trying to cram in features (wi-fi, multi-function, etc) whereas all I want is a high quality printer!

TIA

Timmo

Thanks Tel, maybe I should have been more explicit.

I had read the following discussion:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37785-best-printer-to-use/

Where Samsung colour laser printers are recommended... That is what I have and I am not happy...

I was after a recommendation for a good inkjet printer which only tries to be a good printer. I don't want networking, scanning / copying or A3 printing and I don't want to spend a silly amount of money.

It seems printer manufacturers are concentrating on features?

Alternatively if any one could recommend a printer review site.

Thanks,

Timmo

I personally use an epson printer using genuine durabright inks as they are apparently water resistant. They are expensive compared to oem cartridges, but the results are very good. We use this printer for all of our test models that will be handled at shows and things, and they are still holding together really well. If you want a laser printer ricoh make some using gel inks which are also supposedly water resistant. What I dont like with the laser printers is that the ink does not impregnate the paper as much as an inkjet does, and sometimes gives a satin type finish. We have also found that fixative sprays work better on inkjet produced items.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Timmo,

I bought a Canon iP3600 from a bloke in Coventry who sells them on eBay for about £50 with some non-genuine inks. Recently I bought 15 chipped cartridges for £10 for it. My other pastime is photography and the printer will print the finest detail from my digicam files.

I make my own buildings from pics I print, see another thread of mine in this section on how to do it. I came across the problem of the watered down glue dissolving the ink and then found some stuff called Media Range Colour Protection Spray http://www.mediarang...131/index.pmode I bought some from a place in Germany for about a fiver, I didn't believe all it said on the website but it was so cheap I gave it a try and it does work. I printed my buildings onto cheapo Tesco paper and the spray has not only made them water resistant them but also (so far) prevented any light fade.

If anyone has a problem with a Canon printer matching the colours printed to the colours on screen I can do a little vid explaining how to do it, without buying an expensive setter. Ohh and [edit] using free software, if you are only going to print someone elses files and don't need to alter them in any way then a free program called Irfan View is all you need, it has a very good print manager within it.

Cheers - Jim

Archived