Pontefract Model Railway Show 26 -27 January

Koyli

Outon Road, best scenics in show. A big thank you to all that voted for the layout. Great first day and a cracking show, well done NPRMS and roll on tomorrow. Some cracking layouts and trade so would urge you to make the trip if you can.

post-6894-0-41928400-1359371059_thumb.jpg

Cav

HI all  just like to thank the exhibitors /traders / visitors / club members / not forgetting the girls in the cafe for a great show after all that snow we had to put up with .if you could not visit our show to day we hope you can come along and visit  our show tomorrow the roads are now fine . THANKS. SOUL MAN  [CHRIS].

Just got back from the show and enjoyed it.  Had a chat with 2 other exhibition managers but we couldn't come up with a suitable collective noun as 'a winge' has already been allocated to traders.

Readers may want to try and put a caption to this.

attachicon.gif Menasha hand.JPG

I've heard of the hand of god and the skyhook to shunt wagons that won't move but this brings a whole new meaning to 'manual point operation.

Thing from Adams Family reveals he is a model railroad fan

Jamie

Hi

Had a great day at show everything went well.

Soul man said it all

From me - Big big thank you to all visitors for making effort to get to our show.

Sunday is going to be a better day so if you can make it please come along to see some cracking layouts , traders and demos plus a home made cakes n buns in cafe?

Hugh 

Great to have a good old chat Chris (sunters) and Richard as always.

Always nice to win a prize Hugh. The best scenics prize being none too shabby to win! Well done to yourself too for getting the best club layout prize, well deserved for a great layout which you turned around in record time! Fantastic acheivement. The intergration of the backscene into the 3D stuff working particularly well.

Cav

I intended to post this first thing this morninhg, but crawled out of the pit too late !

The bunch from Nottingham made the trip yesterday.  Once we'd finished playing silly fools on yhe road outside here (Ravenshead), there was NO problem at all in gegtting to Pontefract  - the roads were just WET !  As ever, the show was well worth the effort;  some cracking layouts and the chocolate was out of this worlds !

If you haven't been yet, then set off now.  You won't be disappointed  - even if you have to miss Sunday lunch to do so !

Ian

Can only echo what has been said. The show, people involved and the hospitality were second to none. This is a show to firmly stamp in the diary every year. Well done NPRMS on a great weekend of trains!!

Cav

Overall a decent show, but I wouldn't say it was the best Pontefract Show I've been to. There was a good selection of different layouts, but possibly a little biased towards 4mm and diesel traction for some tastes, and while there wasn't a poor one among them, there wasn't really anything that stood out either...

Certainly still good value for money though, and a safe bet we'll be back next year.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I sertainly enjoyed my annual trip up the A1. It was good to catch up with all those familiar faces that you only ever really see at shows. There were some good layouts there, although as a confired British Steam enthusiast I thought the balance of layouts was a little off. If you took away the foreign and deisel/electric layouts there wouldn't have been much left. I am happy to accept that others prefer a show with less steam and more modern stuff so that is not a complaint, just an observation based on my personal interests.

What I did have a problem with was the volume of the sound from St Marnock. Their Class 40 drowned out the much more subtle sounds on the other layouts in the room completely, as did certain sound emissions from other locos. If I had been next to that for a whole weekend, breathing in the stinking oily fumes from the multiple (and highly gimmicky and unrealistic) smoke units and having my ears assaulted (I understand that at one point somebody brought a sound measuring instrument into play and recorded it at over 80 decibels) I would have been very unhappy.

As a paying visitor, at least I could exercise my choice to walk away after a few minutes, which I did with a headache and feeling ill from the smoke fumes. The traders and other exhibitors are stuck with it and I know that many people had their weekend ruined by it.

What are the other exhibitors expected to do about it? Turn their sound up too, so that next time out theirs can be heard?

It is a shame as otherwise I would be singing the praises of what is a beautifully modelled layout with some great locomotives and the excess noise and unpleasant fumes detract from the layout rather than add to it.

Luckily, I met up with plenty of friends in the other hall, which didn't have that problem and had the highlight of the show for me, David Woodward's "Woodfield Road" layout.

I sertainly enjoyed my annual trip up the A1. It was good to catch up with all those familiar faces that you only ever really see at shows. There were some good layouts there, although as a confired British Steam enthusiast I thought the balance of layouts was a little off. If you took away the foreign and deisel/electric layouts there wouldn't have been much left. I am happy to accept that others prefer a show with less steam and more modern stuff so that is not a complaint, just an observation based on my personal interests.

What I did have a problem with was the volume of the sound from St Marnock. Their Class 40 drowned out the much more subtle sounds on the other layouts in the room completely, as did certain sound emissions from other locos. If I had been next to that for a whole weekend, breathing in the stinking oily fumes from the multiple (and highly gimmicky and unrealistic) smoke units and having my ears assaulted (I understand that at one point somebody brought a sound measuring instrument into play and recorded it at over 80 decibels) I would have been very unhappy.

As a paying visitor, at least I could exercise my choice to walk away after a few minutes, which I did with a headache and feeling ill from the smoke fumes. The traders and other exhibitors are stuck with it and I know that many people had their weekend ruined by it.

What are the other exhibitors expected to do about it? Turn their sound up too, so that next time out theirs can be heard?

It is a shame as otherwise I would be singing the praises of what is a beautifully modelled layout with some great locomotives and the excess noise and unpleasant fumes detract from the layout rather than add to it.

Luckily, I met up with plenty of friends in the other hall, which didn't have that problem and had the highlight of the show for me, David Woodward's "Woodfield Road" layout.

Must say i agree about the volume on St Marnock, There were others with sound but which was far more subtle. I didn't look closely at the layout, because of the row,  but I'm fairly sure that at least one of the 3 cylinder pacifics had a two cylinder beat, and making far more noise than they would do whilst moving around a small depot! 

Sound can be very nice if correct and not over done. This reminds me of many of the dubbed sound recordings on video which use totally the wrong sound (LNER whistles on Stanier locos, for instance!)

One of the best examples of good sound was an austerity I saw on, I think, Oldham King St a couple of years back.

Thoroughly enjoyed the show, the snow didn't prove a problem except as Galtee More pointed out near his house in the morning.

Picked up a couple of bargains as well, (non) now working Lima Western for £6! That'll go into the pool for fitting under a class 76 at some time, I'm too tight to buy the RTR version at getting on for £200.

Also a Bachmann 9F for £50! Been somewhat abused and had Tyne Dock air pumps fitted, but it's looking better now.

Firstly a big Thank You to the N & P members for an excellent weekend. The Crumley & Little Wickhill crew thoroughly enjoyed themselves despite the snow (it took us 20 mins. to get the van out of the hotel car park on Saturday morning!). Excellent food and hospitality as usual.

I have to agree with previous posts about St. Marnock's sound. Even operating in the "Stealth Bomber's" cockpit at the far end of the hall I found the noise intrusive. I have seen St. Marnock on a number of other occasions with sound at much lower and more realistic levels. So why the excessive levels last weekend?

Mal

Had a fun weekend operating Alford Yard - layout performed very well and received many positive comments - Hugh Flynn must take all the credit!

Here are a few pictures taken when not shunting Nuclear Flasks - layouts are St Marnock & Ladeside, Bradstone Quarry, Crumley & Little Wickhill and Menasha.

Chris S.

post-6321-0-04070200-1359373173_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-72340900-1359374410_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-31003400-1359375245_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-46675500-1359375301_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-01449800-1359375373_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-72268200-1359375441_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-31568700-1359375782_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-07987500-1359375843_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-08353900-1359375986_thumb.jpg

Chris (Sunters), it was good to meet you, hope you got some bargains, those vans you saw me getting were a good buy. Didn't get anything else, resisted temptation!

Likewise is was great to meet you too Richard, I have admired your work for a while now.

Thanks for letting me have the white Ford F150, promise I'll keep it! About half an hour before I met you, I got a Reliant Regal van, the M&S keyring one "Del boys" for a fiver, same again I'll keep this one, I've been after one for ages, at a good price.

This was my second visit to the exhibition, I really enjoyed it, especially the large amount of modern image layouts, and having a chat with (& buying from) my favourite traders Unit Models & P&H.

Cheers, Chris.

• RMweb Premium

I went to the Pontefract show for the first time on Sunday and very much enjoyed myself. The sign posting within the campus could be better - it wasn't obvious where the hall was from the main road and similarly getting from one hall to the other took a bi of guess work.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

I went to the Pontefract show for the first time on Sunday and very much enjoyed myself. The sign posting within the campus could be better - it wasn't obvious where the hall was from the main road and similarly getting from one hall to the other took a bi of guess work.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi

Sorry about that but the wind kept blowing the A board sign,s over.But glad you enjoyed yourself.

Hugh

Archived