I thought it might be useful to have a thread for any online tutorials that people have come across and found useful that may help others at the bottom of their particular learning curve or maybe to pass on tips to the more seasoned warriors. If you have any of your own even better! :D

Ok, so I'll get things started and have just come across this tutorial for Blender. I know there are loads of tuts out there for Blender but this is rail related and shows the use of quite a few techniques that make life easier and quicker. It is however from an earlier version but the transition shoud not be too difficult.

http://www.44090digi...Blender_tut.pdf

Regards

Tom

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I downloaded the tutorial and Blender and then I found that the two were on different versions, ie the version of Blender I downloaded was 2.64 but the tutorial relates to 2.49b which is the version of Blender that Paul Hobbs recommends. See http://www.44090digitalmodels.co.uk/tutorials/index.html .

I dug around a little more and came to this webpage http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/ where I found a reference to blender-2.49b-windows.zip . I downloaded that and followed the destructions to install so I now have a version of Blender on my computer which relates to the tutorial. After doing this I think I have a chance of learning a little because the screen layout and functionality of v2.49b is very different from v2.64!

Incidentally, I once asked on this Group if there is a book on 3D printing; I have found a book in the ‘Dummies’ series ‘Blender For Dummies’ which I have ordered from Amazon. I don’t know which version of Blender it refers to, but I shall when it arrives next week.

Regards

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder if anyone is still looking at this. I have got Blender 2.67b and am interested in modelling trains. I am trying to work through Paul Hobbs' Tutorial "Building a Simple Loco". Blender is not the easiest program and at the moment I appear to be stuck trying to mirror the half chassis that I have produced. I have built the chassis, and added a buffer at either end. The next step is to use what Blender refers to as a 'Mirror Modifier' I have tried to follow the instructions in PH's tutorial, but without success. I can mirror the chassis without the buffers, but when I add the buffers it doesn't work. It is something to do with the pivot point.

The 3D cursor can be moved around by right clicking the mouse button, but then there is an orange dot that I think corresponds to the origin of an object. How do I position the orange dot so that it corresponds with the 3D cursor?

When I mirror the chassis both the orange dot and 3D cursor are together at the centre of the chassis, but when I add the buffers the orange dot becomes attached to the buffer and the mirroring takes place around the buffer, instead of the centre of the chassis. It's a silly problem, but I can't find a way round it.

Hope someone sees this.

Eddie Price

ps. I have solved the problem. In 'object mode' and on the left hand toolbar there is a box marked 'origin' and this gives the option of placing the origin at the 3D cursor. Problem solved. A complete chassis with buffers in place now produced.

• 1 year later...

I wonder if anyone is still looking at this. I have got Blender 2.67b and am interested in modelling trains. I am trying to work through Paul Hobbs' Tutorial "Building a Simple Loco". Blender is not the easiest program and at the moment I appear to be stuck trying to mirror the half chassis that I have produced. I have built the chassis, and added a buffer at either end. The next step is to use what Blender refers to as a 'Mirror Modifier' I have tried to follow the instructions in PH's tutorial, but without success. I can mirror the chassis without the buffers, but when I add the buffers it doesn't work. It is something to do with the pivot point.

The 3D cursor can be moved around by right clicking the mouse button, but then there is an orange dot that I think corresponds to the origin of an object. How do I position the orange dot so that it corresponds with the 3D cursor?

When I mirror the chassis both the orange dot and 3D cursor are together at the centre of the chassis, but when I add the buffers the orange dot becomes attached to the buffer and the mirroring takes place around the buffer, instead of the centre of the chassis. It's a silly problem, but I can't find a way round it.

Hope someone sees this.

Eddie Price

ps. I have solved the problem. In 'object mode' and on the left hand toolbar there is a box marked 'origin' and this gives the option of placing the origin at the 3D cursor. Problem solved. A complete chassis with buffers in place now produced.

Just found this old post again. I have made some progress and am now in the middle of modelling a Churchward 43xx class 2-6-0 loco in z gauge. This is what it currently looks like.

post-17804-0-51331200-1438679558_thumb.jpg

Some of the parts look a bit on the heavy side, eg. the handrail around the boiler, but when scaled down to z gauge it will hardly be visible. I still need to hollow it out to take a Marklin 2-6-0 wheel set. This is a photo of the wheel set.

post-17804-0-78294200-1438679601_thumb.jpg

There are problems with the wheelset. The motor is too high as are the cylinders, and the valve motion gear is not correct for a uk style loco.

Archived