TPO services to Weymouth

JZ

I understand that Weymouth was on the TPO network. What sort of train size would be expected? Would it just be a couple of coaches from that dropped off portions at Southampton or Bournemouth, or would the whole train work through ? And what would it's make up be ?

Hi,

what period are we talking about. From memory In the late 60's/early 70's it was a couple of Mk 1 based TPO's, a couple of Mk 1 coaches and a one or two BG's/GUV's etc .

Prior to the Mk1 based TPO's appearing about the time of the Bournemouth electrification the TPO's were ex Southern stock IIRC.

Did it drop vans at So'ton and Bomo - can't actually recall but got a feeling this was a separate working from the papers.

Can have a dig later if required.

HTH

Stu

Edited by lapford34102

• RMweb Gold

Weymouth became the destination rather than Dorchester in 1960, says Mike King, replacing a former WR service. Down train seems to have been 22.30 (ok - so 10.30 p.m. in them thar days) from Waterloo, and 21.55 up from Dorchester (no time quoted from Weymouth). Trains ran via Soton Terminus. There were four sorting vans and four stowage vans, covering these services and the London Bridge - Dover circuit on the SE. These were built in 1936-9 to a Maunsell design.

• Like 2

Discovered that the coaches Ian mentions lasted on this service until 1973, then transfered to Dover. They were the only Southern Railway stock to be painted Blue/grey.

Looks like my TPO train is out.

Weymouth became the destination rather than Dorchester in 1960, says Mike King, replacing a former WR service.

I admit to being quite surprised by that. The old sorting office in South Street was very crowded and I remebr very well the rush of road vans in and out of the premises. I cannot remember the exact date they moved to the bigger premises in the Barracks square but it was certainly later in the 60's possibly 1968. We moved house about then to not far away and I did the usual stint of sorting Xmas mail. I'm not sure but also vaguely recall accompanying a van delivering sacks to Dorchester West to meet the train and stopping off for a drink at the pub on the cross-roads on the way back. Perhaps those sacks were not for the "mail train" just for other stops up the line - it was only for a few weeks and is a bit hazy. A lot of things were happening then and I can't say my mind was focused on the railway or the job.

A bit more delving and I discover that TPO services to Weymouth were from Paddington until 1966. The Sothern Region's stopped, as previously mentioned, at Dorchester, only continuing to Weymouth from that date.(source: Southern Railway Passenger Vans by David Gould)

In Parkin's Mk1 Coaches I find 1959 pictures of sorting and stowage vans with WR numbers, so I imagine I could use the Bachmann models. It also states that they often ran as 1 or 2 added to scheduled services. Then it adds that Weymouth was served over Southern metals. :scratchhead:

Can anyone recommend a good book on TPOs ?

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The TPO ran as a separate train to the Waterloo - Weymouth passenger and news though in somewhat similar timings. I seem to recall just a single TPO van (though may have been two) with a few BGs and worked through Southampton by a 74 which must have cut off / come on at Bournemouth in favour of a 33. Headcode 90 as well, assuming that was correctly shown which isn't a given, which since 91 was "fast" must have meant "faster still" ;)

I don't think the TPO dropped vans - as with similar trains it remained in fixed formation with the mail sorters throwing out bags on the down and loading them on the up at intermediate stops.

• Like 2

Having lived in Weymouth up to the early '60s, I can never remember a WR TPO service. I suspect it was a mail train carrying bagged mail in BGs or similar.

The SR train spent the day in the sidings by the isolated up platform at Dorchester South. The train always conveyed 3 TPO vehicles in the 4919-4922 and 4958-4960 series, all SR built with the occasional inclusion of ex WR vehicles S846W or S847W.

Chris

• Like 1

Yes, all the Southern allocated vans were green, including the ex WR vehicles, until they were repainted into blue/grey. Note that these vans had the grey as a panel on the bodyside, similar to the passenger carrying vehicles, and not carried around the ends as on BR built TPO vans - see Mike Kings book.

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one, as I'm interested in the Weymouth TPO as well, albeit in the 1980s.

I've found a couple of pictures of the train, and would like help identifying the TPO types in the formation.

17002651306_0edc32de75_b.jpg33031 Southampton by British Rail 1980s and 1990s, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/poo8Wx

I'm taking a guess that the TPO vehicles dia. 727 stowage van and some sort of sorting coach, but I can't tell which from the side visible.  Any suggestions will be most welcome!

Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

What an attractive train to model for the blue era. I especially like that the BSKs are the wrong way round and the all-blue GUV providing some contrast.

As this was not scheduled as a passenger train, I assume that the coaches are just there to provide the necessary braking power for a 90mph train.

The passenger coaches were used to carry passengers, but not for the entire length of the service. I don't know about the up service, but when I did the down service it was only advertised as far as Bournemouth, I had to get off there and get on a 33/1 + 4TC which followed it down to Weymouth.