Accident on a level crossing at Finningley, near Doncaster.

EMT Class 153 and an automatic half barrier installation involved.

Let's just inject the usual 'no speculation' disclaimer here, and reiterate Jeff's respectful point regarding those caught up in this.

• RMweb Premium

First of all, my thoughts to all involved in the incident.

Secondly, apologies for going OT.

According to the above link - the marked vans will be "a strong deterrent".

Of course they will be, because they're marked.

It's a bit like my local school parking, which is absolutely atrocious except when the local bobby stands there in his yellow coat.

What's really needed are unmarked camera vans, backed up by signs saying that the crossing is monitored by camera.

Cheers,

Mick

Can't be. According to Mark Jepson from Rotherham (who's been over it countless times) it's a "Dangerous place." Hmm.

My thoughts go out to the poor kid.

It is a dangerous place; that's why there's a barrier that closes the road in front of the road vehicle when a train approaches, along with a sequence of flashing lights to inform the road user of the imminent closure of the barrier.

• RMweb Gold

Secondly, apologies for going OT.

According to the above link - the marked vans will be "a strong deterrent".

Of course they will be, because they're marked.

It's a bit like my local school parking, which is absolutely atrocious except when the local bobby stands there in his yellow coat.

What's really needed are unmarked camera vans, backed up by signs saying that the crossing is monitored by camera.

Cheers,

Mick

Sorry for remaining OT (not that there's any more to say at present about it apart from wishing well to all who were injured or suffered shock.

The latest BBC link is I suspect mixing a couple of separate subjects and making the wrong conclusion. Shiplake AOC(L) Crossing was at one time in the top 5 nationally for abuse/misuse by both vehicle drivers and pedestrians and had fixed monitoring cameras in place for some months recording all that went on - some of the footage making its way into one of the NR level crossing safety campaigns. It is due to receive supplementary barriers, thus converting it into an AOCL+B early next year, the work allegedly having been deferred from late 2012.

As far as parking a marked camera van anywhere near it the biggest problem would be finding a parking space without either blocking the highway or the station car park but vehicles approaching from the other side wouldn't be able to see such a van until they are almost on the crossing so it might at least get a few prosecutions. A camera van already regularly appears at crossings on the Berks & Hants line and the last time it was at Thatcham there was also a chase car so clearly some motorists don't take much notice of it!

And typical media getting things wrong - the route from Paddington to the West Country does not have 720 level crossings, according to my quick count it has 18 level crossings and 24 User Worked Crossings. I suspect the 720 figure relates to the entire NR Zone and includes crossings of all types.

• RMweb Gold

According to Mark Jepson from Rotherham (who's been over it countless times) it's a "Dangerous place." Hmm.

I'm sure many motorists regard level xings as a dangerous nuisance, because they require them to engage brain, rather than it being in neutral, with thumb up bum, phone in ear. So they would prefer a dual carriageway overbridge. Actually, so would NR, as it is much safer. Important or difficult crossings (think Hixon) do get replaced, but at a cost. What price safety?

I used to live a couple of miles from from the crossing and passed over it many times, I never thought it dangerous as both road and rail are pretty straight there and you never stopped for very long anyway.

My thoughts and best wishes to the youngster.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

It seems that the Lincoln area has been affected particularly badly to-day as some services running in the Sheffield Direction were cancelled due to a staff member being killed after being hit by a train near Saxilby. Once more condolences to the friends and family of this young man.

yes, a bad day all round over there, the man who was killed was a track worker apparently

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Man-killed-train-railway-line-near-Saxilby/story-17495552-detail/story.html?Fd

• RMweb Premium

Nothing new

Sussex & Kent have had such vans in operation for well over a year now (costs are shared between the two routes) - I'm not sure if it has a deterrent effect, but they certainly generate plenty of prosecutions.

Incidentally according to one of our local MOMS, they (MOMS that is) can take a photo of motorists jumping the lights and providing the red road lights can seen to be flashing, the BTP can use it to prosecute the motorist concerned with no extra evidence required.

• RMweb Gold

they (MOMS that is) can take a photo of motorists jumping the lights and providing the red road lights can seen to be flashing, the BTP can use it to prosecute the motorist concerned with no extra evidence required.

So can the public, ask me how I know (even better when you video them too) ;)

• RMweb Gold

That's worth knowing.

Andi

There's a driver around here who knows, I accidentally (I wasn't deliberately looking for light jumpers) got it all right (so the BTP told me)

1 - Still shots of the car on the crossing, with the barrier visible (on it's downward movement) and the reg plate visible.

2 - A video which shows the full light sequence (otherwise they can claim there was a malfunction), the barrier dropping and the same car rushing through.

"Take him away!"

So many people nowadays seem to think they have the right to blast their way through any obstructions ,traffic lights,level crossings,school car parking etc .It all seems to be down to no time for thinking or having a care to others. I cannot see any change in the above happenning and people will continue to put passengers in cars and trains at risk and then try and blame everybody else for their failings.Sorry for the child injured hope she recovers sooon.

I get the impression that the Daily Mirror would prefer any railways which cross roads on the level to be closed down....

http://www.mirror.co...d-child-1472406

The Mirror did go as far as to say:

Set in the middle of a long stretch of farm land, the crossing was fitted with flashing lights and barriers which were smashed.

Without upsetting those who will sensibly say 'wait until the facts are all in', I wonder how the barrier was smashed?

Trains are dangerous but can obviously be used safely.

On the NY subway a man was struck by an MTA train and killed after being pushed off the platform by someone he was arguing with.

In this case the imbroglio is over Tuesday's New York Post (a News Corp. / Rupert rag publication) frontpage showing a full-page photograph of the man struggling and unable to climb back on the platform as the train approach with the headline: "Pushed on the subway track, this man is about to die. DOOMED".

The press is always looking for a story.

As they say about local TV news in the US, "if it bleeds, it leads". This is sad but true.

• RMweb Premium

I get the impression that the Daily Mirror would prefer any railways which cross roads on the level to be closed down....

http://www.mirror.co...d-child-1472406

What gives you that impression? The only impression I got was that too many motorists ignore level crossings. Surely the simple solution would be to install speed bumps or rumble strips on the approaches to level crossings. You can see that the barriers are broken in the photos, nothing like stating the bloody obvious.

You can see that the barriers are broken in the photos, nothing like stating the bloody obvious.

Without wishing to be too picky, I think it's only clear from the photos that one barrier appears to be smashed.

This is an incredibly tragic set of events with a young life lost. We must wait now to learn the findings of the investigation, without undue speculation.

All thoughts are with the bereaved at this unbelievably sad time.

Archived