Finney A3 - Spearmint

Christian

Christian,

Have you made up the 8 pot lubricators yet? They have taken me absolutely ages and having finished 6 of them, I realised that the final 2 were missing. I must have cut them from the sprue a little while ago and misplaced them. Needless to say Martin Finney was as helpful as ever and sent me 2 replacements by return of post which I will complete tomorrow. I also decided to drill out the holes which locate the pipes (0.33mm brass) as mine had not cast cleanly. I reckon that I broke 6 x 0.4mm drills during the exercise. Lots of swearing followed but finally job done. Must take more care next time!

Looking forward to more of your build photos. I assume Spearmint has the streamlined tender?

Nigel

Have you made up the 8 pot lubricators yet? They have taken me absolutely ages and having finished 6 of them, I realised that the final 2 were missing. I must have cut them from the sprue a little while ago and misplaced them. Needless to say Martin Finney was as helpful as ever and sent me 2 replacements by return of post which I will complete tomorrow. I also decided to drill out the holes which locate the pipes (0.33mm brass) as mine had not cast cleanly. I reckon that I broke 6 x 0.4mm drills during the exercise. Lots of swearing followed but finally job done. Must take more care next time!

Looking forward to more of your build photos. I assume Spearmint has the streamlined tender?

Hello Nigel,

No I have not got that far yet, at the moment I am still doing all the brake gear.

I know what you mean about breaking tiny drill bits as I have been doing the same, the worst thing is when just the end of the drill bit breaks off and you then cannot remove it.

I very much look forward to your latest pictures and yes, Spearmint will have the streamlined tender.

I also decided to drill out the holes which locate the pipes (0.33mm brass) as mine had not cast cleanly. I reckon that I broke 6 x 0.4mm drills during the exercise. Lots of swearing followed but finally job done. Must take more care next time!

There was an article in MRJ 57 about making simple spade drills from piano wire. Not only cheap to make they may well be stronger than the small twist drills and less prone to snapping.

• 2 weeks later...

After continued distractions (Gaming), I have managed to do some more modelling and finally finished the braking system for Spearmint.

I have never been happy with the brake componants that came with the kit, they are all etches and lack body. There is nothing wrong with the fit of these componants but I particularly wanted to do something about the brake shoes and hangers. The etches were to be laminated together to result in a double thickness for the shoe but there does not seem to be enough relief from the hanger.

Ragstone models provided me with various componants for the braking system and the shoe/hanger casting looked very good but the pitch of the shoe in relation to the wheel is wrong so I decided to cut the shoe away from the hanger and make new hangers for the shoes. This way the shoe will freely pivot on the hanger and will be easy to set during fitting.

Here you can see the bracket/hanger/shoe assembly.

post-6851-126946829009_thumb.jpg

This photo shows what came with the kit and what I shall be using. The crossbeam connecting rods are scratch built, the brake shaft has had the cranks cut off and drilled for a new shaft. Prior to final fitting all of the joints are free to move which greatly aids fitting and adjustment.

post-6851-126946830037_thumb.jpg

All the brake system parts now fitted to the chassis. The joints have now been soldered together and the whole thing is very strong.

post-6851-126946831198_thumb.jpg

With the tricky brake system and driving wheel springs now completed things should hopefully start to move on at a better pace. There is not much more to do to the chassis, the front end needs completing with the bogie splashers and buffer beam cross member, and there is also the cast sand box to be fitted to each side along with its associated pipework. Attention will then turn back to the upper structure where there is much to do.

Not much work today as I was up super early for the Australian Grand Prix but I did manage to finish the chassis. There was not much more to do on the chassis just the front end which consists of the inner buffer beam and steps, the four bogie splashers and the two cast sand boxes.

Contruction was straight forward enough although the splashers were difficult to hold in place whilst soldering.

post-6851-126980874145_thumb.jpg

post-6851-12698087616_thumb.jpg

I have also done some recent work on the boiler. There are two options in the kit for the smoke box saddle either the castings or etched. I went for the etched option and took the time to drill all the holes for the fitting of all the rivets. This makes a big difference to the appearance and is worth the effort.

Also as has been previously discussed I wanted to make the boiler removable from the footplate, this will greatly aid the eventual painting of the locomotive.

I made up a brass strip which is soldered between the inner sides of the smokebox saddle on to which I have fitted 10BA brass nuts. The footplate can now be bolted to the smoke box.

post-6851-126980930225_thumb.jpg

The cab has now been soldered to the boiler and the thing I would like to do next is fit the ejector exhaust pipe along the side of the boiler. Problem is I don't know what happens with the pipe once it enters the cab, I assume that it goes down to the floor but I am not sure. If anyone can help me on this one it would be apprieciated.

Work will now continue with the footplate starting with the sanding rods.

Doesn't the ejector pipe go straight on and into the driver's control valve, the large one on the left of the backhead?

So are all those rivets DRILLED and SOLDERED?:blink:

And what are the lengths of brass rod that are soldered INSIDE the rear of the saddle?

did you use scale hardware for the rivets?

Yes, the discovery of Scale Hardware has been a great if not expensive find.

Doesn't the ejector pipe go straight on and into the driver's control valve, the large one on the left of the backhead?

So are all those rivets DRILLED and SOLDERED?blink.gif

And what are the lengths of brass rod that are soldered INSIDE the rear of the saddle?

I know where you mean regarding the large control inside the cab, so do you think thats where the pipe goes. With my very limited knowledge of stream engines I really do not know where it goes let alone what it does. Like the valve gear I need a course in how a steam locomotive works and what all the controls do and why.

Yes each rivet was drilled out and a rivet soldered in place. The holes go right into the smokebox just like the real thing.

Lengths of brass rod inside the saddle, not sure what you mean there. It may be the 10BA nuts?

Before you go to far check the fit of the cylinders!!!!!!!!

Please elaborate, not sure what issues there may be.

I know where you mean regarding the large control inside the cab, so do you think thats where the pipe goes. With my very limited knowledge of stream engines I really do not know where it goes let alone what it does. Like the valve gear I need a course in how a steam locomotive works and what all the controls do and why.

The large pipe down the side of the boiler is the exhaust pipe for the vacuum ejector, ie. the vacuum brake. It goes to the ejector control in the cab.

Please elaborate, not sure what issues there may be.

The cylinder may need the cut-outs all to the center to let them fit in place.

Attention has now returned to the footplate. I spent the day doing the sanding levers and some of the front end detail.

post-6851-127014663081_thumb.jpg

post-6851-127014664909_thumb.jpg

post-6851-127014666061_thumb.jpg

I shall move onto a task that has been daunting me for a little while and that's the lubricator pots!

• 2 weeks later...
Do the sanding levers move ? I'd be far too tempted to put a servo for the rods in the firebox laugh.gif

It would be quite possible to do this but as Spearmint is unlikely to ever ventur further than my yard of track it would be wasted. On other builds I have really gone to town with DCC, sound, smoke, lights, fans etc, I did once consider putting working windscreen wipers on my Class 47!

A far as the progress on Spearmint goes I have now added the eight pot lubricators and the two mechanical lubricators along with all the pipe work. It was reasonably straight forward to do although a little fiddly. The only real problem I had was a couple of times the wire for the pipe work would break with all of the bends.

The only other really annoying problem I have had which is nothing to do with the kit, whilst cutting the middle cast sand box covers off the spruce I dropped one on the floor. I literally spent hours crawling around on the floor with a torch trying to find it.

post-6851-127118833414_thumb.jpg

post-6851-127118834915_thumb.jpg

Next attention will turn back to the boiler and the ejector exhaust pipe and the hand rails although I am waiting for some more 1.8mm brass for the pipe, the piece I have is a little too short.

After reading your post about the wire breaking, I looked at the pics and saw that it was brass, which will, of course, work harden, leading to possible breaks.

Had you thought of using copper wire? It comes in various sizes from VERY thin to over 1.5mm all as conductors in electrical cable.

Christian,

Excellent work. It appears, however, that you are falling into the same trap as me. the closer you get to the end, the slower progress becomes!!!! I only say this because I have spent almost as much time on the lubricators, sanding boxes and cab/footplate attachment as i did on building the entire valve gear. To prevent me stagnating, I have opened the tender kit, if only to persuade myself that I need to progress. I reckon that my build will be one of the longest in RM Web history. Indeed, I expect at this rate that current subscribers' children will be commenting on the build. Mine already are which is most unkind!!

Cab handrails this weekend and cartezi axle boxes if time, work and children's cricket permit. At least there is no Grand Prix for another 2 weekends to limit the distraction.

Nigel

Excellent work. It appears, however, that you are falling into the same trap as me. the closer you get to the end, the slower progress becomes!!!! I only say this because I have spent almost as much time on the lubricators, sanding boxes and cab/footplate attachment as i did on building the entire valve gear. To prevent me stagnating, I have opened the tender kit, if only to persuade myself that I need to progress.

Hello Nigel

Yes as often experienced once you get on to the detailing parts things seem to take much longer as each part for some reason needs more thought and planning, that and work getting in the way and I really must give the Playstation a rest.

There has been some progress behing the scenes, I have fitted the hand rails along the boiler and the snifting valve which is another part of one of these steam locos which I have no idea what it does! I am STILL! waiting for some 1.8mm wire to arrive for the ejector exhaust pipe which I want to fit before going onto the white metal castings.

I see you have been tempted with the tender, that lovely green Finney box is just like having another kit to build.

I wonder, have you done any work on the smoke box door in particular the lamp irons. They are a two piece affair and to me just do not look right, maybe there is a cast brass offering available from someone.

I look forward to your next update.

PS If the next Grand Prix is in 3 weeks time could we both have our locos finished apart from the tender? now thats food for thought?

There has been some progress behing the scenes, I have fitted the hand rails along the boiler and the snifting valve which is another part of one of these steam locos which I have no idea what it does! I am STILL! waiting for some 1.8mm wire to arrive for the ejector exhaust pipe which I want to fit before going onto the white metal castings.

I wonder, have you done any work on the smoke box door in particular the lamp irons. They are a two piece affair and to me just do not look right, maybe there is a cast brass offering available from someone.

PS If the next Grand Prix is in 3 weeks time could we both have our locos finished apart from the tender? now thats food for thought?

That's some nice tidy work there.

No doubt the experts will be along shortly to correct me but my understanding of snifting valves is it helps the free running of the loco. If you close the regulator and reduce the steam pressure whilst running then the cylinders will start acting like a vacuum pump and be hard to turn. The snifting valve stops the vacuum building up by allowing air to be sucked into the inlet side of the cylinders. When the regulator is opened then the steam pressure shuts the snifting valve to stop the steam escaping. Next time you see a full size loco go coasting past you might be able to hear it "sniffing", it's the air being sucked into the pistons.

To the front lamp irons, I don't know what they are supposed to look like but you might be able to modify the method I used on my Jinty build.

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/320/entry-2647-any-old-iron-jinty-lamp-irons/

Although as someone has commented on my blog - Laurie Griffin probably does a cast set.

Regards

Adrian

Hello Nigel

Yes as often experienced once you get on to the detailing parts things seem to take much longer as each part for some reason needs more thought and planning, that and work getting in the way and I really must give the Playstation a rest.

I see you have been tempted with the tender, that lovely green Finney box is just like having another kit to build.

I look forward to your next update.

OK. Finished. I won!!!!! What do you mean that you don't believe me and want to see proof. I've even painted and weathered it! I think we all know that the chances of me actually finishing

Knight of Thistle before the Spanish Grand Prix is impossible but I will keep at it. Wife's birthday this weekend so progress might be even slower than usual!!

OK. Finished. I won!!!!! What do you mean that you don't believe me and want to see proof. I've even painted and weathered it! I think we all know that the chances of me actually finishing Knight of Thistle before the Spanish Grand Prix is impossible but I will keep at it. Wife's birthday this weekend so progress might be even slower than usual!!

I agree with you regarding the timescales but for me this weekends progress has come along in leaps and bounds.

I finally received my order of 1.8mm brass rod so I am able to fir the ejector exhaust pipe to the side of the boiler. As I am unsure where this pipe goes in the cab, I have left it over length for the time being. I have also fitted the hand rails and the snifting valve to the top of the smoke box.

post-6851-127222524694_thumb.jpg

post-6851-127222525881_thumb.jpg

Next I have decided to work on the smoke deflectors just to try something different. The deflectors need carefull forming as the upper three quarters of the deflectors has a gentle curve and lower quarter has a tighter bend. The deflector support bracket is then attached to the inner face and finished off with the hand rails.

post-6851-127222549306_thumb.jpg

I also decided to have a go at the smoke box door. Spearmint has the later style of smoke door with the split hand rails and lower lamp iron. I have not fitted the lamp iron yet and the one included in the kit is a two part affair and I do not think that it looks quite right. I shall have a hunt for a cat alternative.

post-6851-127222566589_thumb.jpg

Returning to the boiler, now that all of the brassware has been fitted with the exception of the safety valves, I have fited the cast double chimney, banjo dome and the superheater covers. These were straight forward enough but the banjo dome needed a little adjustment so that it cleared the boiler band fitted earlier.

So here is the result of the weekends work. The smoke box door and the smoke deflectors have not been permentally fitted yet but Spearmint is really starting to look the part.

post-6851-127222600971_thumb.jpg

After fitting the double chimney, I decided to open up the holes in the brass under the casting. The Finney kit is built around the version with the single chimney which would line up with the single hole on top of the fire box. The assemble was clamped in the mill and the holes carefully opened up which I think looks much better.

post-6851-127226200866_thumb.jpg

I am now getting to the stage where there are not many parts left and like Harrier Mate, I am getting tempted with the tender build.

Not too sure what to do next, I think attention might turn back to the lower half of the loco and maybe the cylinder covers. I shall have to see what tempts me.

Christian,

How flimsy are the smoke deflectors when attached? I haven't built mine yet but was toying with idea of using nickel silver instead of the supplied etch brass frames for added strength lest they get "knocked" from time to time (or a discrete fillet of solder in the right angled joints in the frame).

Also finished my smokebox door last weekend. Couldn't find the centre handles for ages having assumed it was a brass casting and so made my own - only to read the digram later and note the prefix N rather than B on the diagram. Sure enough it was patiently sat on its nickel silver sprue!!! Still I've got a spare now. Who knows this could be the first piece of a scratch build later (much later).

Nigel

How flimsy are the smoke deflectors when attached? I haven't built mine yet but was toying with idea of using nickel silver instead of the supplied etch brass frames for added strength lest they get "knocked" from time to time (or a discrete fillet of solder in the right angled joints in the frame).

Hello Nigel

I have not permantely fitted the smoke deflectors yet, but I agree with you that each of the folds in the deflector frame would indeed benefit from a small fillet of solder to firm them up. I don't think you will need to go to the lengths of making the frames in nickel silver. For the final fit, once the model is finished and painted, I think that I may glue the deflectors in place. Saying that, they are a tight fit but sure will be very vunerable.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too much progress to report on Spearmint, the usual distractions are still getting in the way but I try to find some time where I can.

I am waiting for some parts to arrive to finish off the loco, some detail parts for the boiler and chassis. There is still the cab internal to do but I shall make that one of the last projects of the build.

Meanwhile I have assembled the chassis, footplate and boiler for some track testing and adjustments, Oh and just to see what it all looks like.

The photo below really shows the build to date and is the first time that Spearmint has assembled to this extent.

post-6851-127421158958_thumb.jpg

With the loco nearing completion and the wait for parts increasing, I have decided to make a start on the tender (or coal truck).

The tender is a seperate kit and Spearmint will be coupled to a streamlined non-corridor tender.

Below is a self explainatory series of pictures to show the progress to date.

post-6851-127421198221_thumb.jpg

post-6851-127421200501_thumb.jpg

post-6851-127421202374_thumb.jpg

post-6851-127421203495_thumb.jpg

Next to make up is the outer frames followed by the brake gear, photos to follow as and when time permits.

Archived