LMS Insulated Milk Van & Stove R

ianwales

Hi all

I have been looking at the LMS insulated Milk Van, and its very near sister the six wheel Palethorpes van, and I started wondering, the Hornby body seems to be quite reasonable marred by a rubbish chassis, does it share the same wheelbase/chassis with the 6 wheel Stove R making me wonder if I could mount the Hornby body on a Stove R underframe/

Ian

The Stove R underframe seems to have had issues of its own, judging by comments on here (I've got two, but they've only been stood on a shelf since I bought them, so can't vouch for their running qualities). I wonder if one of the Chivers LMS 6-wheel Fish vans might be a better source of underframe?

http://slimrails.co.uk/index00gauge.html is the link; they don't list it at present, but you could E-mail them to see if they've any stashed away. If you'd like to measure the length over headstocks, and the wheelbase, I can measure up the one I've got upstairs and see how they compare.

Brian

The Dapol Stove R underframe was designed with some compromises such as 12mm dia wheels (should be 14mm). I upgraded mine with correct wheels and it runs quite well.

The Chivers 6 wheel fish van kit comes with fake plastic wheels for the center axle. These are not intended to turn and in fact have a flat molded on. Again, I went to considerable effort to make the underframe functional using Bill Bedford sprung W irons.

ISTR that most 6 wheel NPCS vehicles had unbraked center axles but there were exceptions, the Stove R being one (being a brake van).

This book is quite handy: http://www.amazon.co...54654814&sr=1-4

This thread contains some discussion and pictures which may be useful: http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

John

The Dapol Stove R underframe was designed with some compromises such as 12mm dia wheels (should be 14mm). I upgraded mine with correct wheels and it runs quite well.

The Chivers 6 wheel fish van kit comes with fake plastic wheels for the center axle. These are not intended to turn and in fact have a flat molded on. Again, I went to considerable effort to make the underframe functional using Bill Bedford sprung W irons.

ISTR that most 6 wheel NPCS vehicles had unbraked center axles but there were exceptions, the Stove R being one (being a brake van).

This book is quite handy: http://www.amazon.co...54654814&sr=1-4

This thread contains some discussion and pictures which may be useful: http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

John

Hi John

What work was involved in fitting the 14mm wheels to the Dapol chassis please?

Ian

Most were new bodies on secondhand chassis but the later fish vans (as per the Chivers kit) had new chassis with all wheels braked. There is a static one acting as a shop at Rowsley (Peak Rail). Edit - as pictured in the reference given in post #3.

• 11 months later...

I thought I'd mention that I have started upgrading the Hornby Insulated Milk Van to EM.

Starting point:

P1010002_zps704b70ed.jpg

My first attempt was to use Bill Bedford sprung W irons but I made a terrible dog's breakfast of these when trying to get the J hangers on.  Plan B was to use a Cleminson chassis.  The kit I used was from Slater's which in retrospect wasn't the best choice (I found a Brassmaster's kit later :scratchhead: ) since these are designed for the Clayton 6 wheeled coaches and for 00.  The most significant mod I made was to detach the W irons and stick these separately to the solebars.

P1010003-002_zpsdf99c128.jpg

After a fair bit of work, the van starts to look reasonable:

P1010002-006_zps119ffba1.jpg

I still have to put in the brake detail (and straighten the underframe).

Now, as for the brakes, I'm pleased to say that in addition to the sole picture found in E&J's LMS Coaches (38550, LHS), pictured above, there is a very good article by Bob Essery in LMS Journal 31 which features a second picture (38551) showing the RHS and, glory be, a works drawing!  The drawing shows a very good schematic of the brake rigging but the position of the brake lever contradicts the photos.  The photos show the brake lever facing the center axle on both sides, while the drawing shows the brake lever facing the first axle.  This answers all my questions. :sungum:

John

Plan B was to use a Cleminson chassis.  The kit I used was from Slater's which in retrospect wasn't the best choice (I found a Brassmaster's kit later :scratchhead: ) since these are designed for the Clayton 6 wheeled coaches and for 00.  The most significant mod I made was to detach the W irons and stick these separately to the solebars.

Are you aware that the Slater's Cleminson chassis etchings, now available from Cooper Craft, are available for EM/S4 as well as 00?

I am yes, but this one was in stock and I thought "how hard can it be?". I've got 3 Slaters 6 wheel coach kits, all with the 00 chassis. I may replace these depending on my findings with this one. There's a note in the kit (from Slaters) to send the 00 version back for a free EM replacement but after all this time I doubt that's still valid.

John

Archived