BRM January 2013 issue

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

Here's a sneak preview of BRM's January 2013 front cover (on-sale from December 13, 2012). We hope you like it!

As you'll see from the cover lines, this issue is jam-packed with six inspirational layouts: Hudson Road, Leamington Spa, Little Bytham, Wells Green TMD, Glenuig and Millwall Goods & Arnold Lane.

There's also a FREE DVD of Liverpool Lime Street on all copies sold in WHSmith and supermarkets (and subscribers to the paper version). Copies purchased via other outlets will include a website link to watch the video on MRL TV.

We'll be posting a full contents list later today and will be uploading more sneak preview pictures over the next few days. We may be a little biased, but we feel this is the strongest issue of BRM for years. I'd love to hear your thoughts once the issue goes on-sale.

Thanks,

Steve and the BRM Team

post-14186-0-78859500-1354719034_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Some cracking layouts in there which should look great, but nothing smaller than 4mm...?

Not wanting to complain as I enjoy reading about and looking at layouts in all the scales/gauges, but IMHO " the strongest issue of BRM for years" would have included at least a nod to us N Gaugers...

David

I'd say it's impossible for any magazine to satisfy every reader each month David but BRM has regularly had a representative amount of N gauge content and as 'good modelling is good modelling' I'm sure there will be something of relevance including the content in the 'We show how you to..' section shown on the cover.

Having seen the final printed samples over in the office there was a few pleasant "Oh my" moments as I looked at the reproduction as I knew we'd be pushing it with getting sufficient clarity in the white tones of the snow on Hudson Road through to some of the night-time shots James Makin has used in Wells Green TMD. Of course I'm biaised but if that landed on my doormat I would be impressed that real value for money has been given. There's one particular photo I love but more on that in due course. ;)

Good to see James's Wells Green getting an airing..... looking forward to my first subs'd copy.

EDIT: That's James's ..... "Wells Green"... Not James Wells's "Green"... streuth, we need to be careful!

• Administrators

Sorry it's a bit later than I hoped, but here's the contents list:

Layout 1: Hudson Road

Practical BRM: John Farmer on creating realistic trees

Layout 2: Wells Green TMD

Practical BRM: Martin McDermott on weathering locos with oils

Practical BRM: Nigel Burkin repaints a Bachmann MLV into Post Office livery

Layout 3: Glenuig

New BRM Project Layout: Wisbech & Upwell Tramway

Freight Only: recent developments in OO and O gauges

Layout 4: Millwall Goods & Arnold Lane

Modelling Inspiration including Pete Waterman's Leamington Spa and Tony Wright's Little Bytham

Practical BRM: Adrian Marks continues his soldering series

RMweb Project Layout: The Black Country Blues team look at the landform and scenery

What's New: Tony Wright reviews the new Hornby B17 and Nigel Burkin reviews the Farish Class 350

Diary Dates

We hope you like.

Steve

Seeing as our designer, Fletch, has plastered all manner of 'stuff' over the blizzard conditions on Hudson Road and cropped it down I thought I'd post the full image. In addition to the images in the article there's more snaps of Jon Grant's excellent and atmospheric modelling that we'll be including in the Model Railways Live Newsletter which will come out in early January to give some added value for those who would like to see more. Jon's layout is an absolute dream to photograph and it has so much soul and atmosphere as those who've been lucky enough to see it at exhibitions will know. It last appeared in public just under 7 years ago and I'm tremendously grateful to Jon and his friends for hauling it out of semi-retirement when I got in touch as my dream layout to take pride of place on the shelves for Christmas.

Cover_small.jpg

Click for larger version.

To register for the newsletter to get the additional images on Jan 4th go to https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/ and click on 'Register' at the top of the page.

Fantastic photo of a great layout.

As for the monkey, it would never have happened on the GWR.

Maybe not Mikkel, but Cuneo's mouse was definitely on ex-GWR metals (and now I suspect I've lost almost everyone) :laughclear:

Thats a cracking photo... Would there be any chance of seeing the unadultered version, I am captivated by all the scenery in the back ground and would love to see it raw.

Plus free Hornby Calander and MI with little bytham, can wait to see how it has progressed in the last year or so. The last DVD on little bytham was fantastic.

:D.... If only they came out on time in australia, o well a couple of months and it will be mine :D

• Administrators

Hi all.

The Digital Edition of the January 2013 issue of BRM is now available to download. For more information click here: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/information/BRM_digital_editions

We hope you enjoy the issue.

Remember, the printed edition will go on-sale in shops on Thursday, December 13th. Copies purchased in WHSmith and supermarkets will come with a great free Liverpool Lime Street DVD. Copies purchased from other outlets will include a website link to watch the video on MRL TV.

Steve

As mentioned, Tony Wright's Little Bytham is featured in MI within BRM this month and the article includes Tony's perspective on photography and digital manipulation which may be a discussion point. This snap featuring his W1 was one of Tony's favourites from a day spent snapping alongside the ECML.

LB11_small.jpg

Click for larger version.

In addition to this feature a collection of some of Tony's recent photos of Little Bytham are on MRL - https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Features/A_sneek_preview_of_Tony_Wright's_Little_Bytham_/

Good evening Steve, I have just tried to download the latest edition on my iPad and the App has now crashed. I have subsequently deleted and reinstalled the App but it now will not run at all it just gets stuck loading then closes down.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Many thanks in advance.

Archived