BRM January 2013 issue

SteveCole

I cancelled my subscription roughly a year ago to BRM, but after seeing the changes a foot on RMweb, I decided to re sub last month.

It really couldn't have been a better copy to arrive through the letterbox today, for an Eastern man like myself. Fascinating MI from Mr Wright on Little Bytham. Very in depth and plenty of beautiful ECML Pacifics to boot. Andy's interview on photography was a welcome addition as it's not something you often see talked about in print.

Will be reading the rest this evening. :)

Mine arrived this morning. I really prefer the portrait MI section because it makes it more part of the mag-unless of course the point is to make it stand out?

I see that we have a track plan illustrator, so can we please have plans of ALL layouts featured in the mag?

Some stunning work in this issue though

Ed

... yup, not expected for a few days, but got home late after a two-day audit to finding it waiting for me; a nice accompaniment to my quiet dinner as the wife and boys are clearly out at the school christmas carol concert.... at least, I assume that's where they are!

• RMweb Premium

Ok, got it yesterday, and 'wow' it's a good 'un...even without the N coverage lols :nono: ;)

I'm still not sure about the two-page spread pictures with that binding as the centres disappear but having said that there's some cracking shots in MI...

• RMweb Premium

Nice to be reminded of Hudson Road. Can it really be so long since I last saw it at a local (North East) exhibition ?

Stunning shots in MI too, but my opinion that landscape is the better format for this feature is reinforced by a couple of the shots of double headers, where the * 'train loco' front ends are lost in the spine.

*Apologies to GW enthusiasts if I should be referring to the 'second loco' here, I seem to recall the leading loco (pilot on other regions) was referred to as the 'train' loco on the Western Region, but stand to be corrected either way.

Regards,

John

Hi

Great magazine again and justified me taking out a subscription and a brilliant DVD as well, just one whinge, why oh why have you spoilt the Little Bytham photos by printing the MI with the photos across the spine, when I come to sort out what to keep from the magazine and to file all the LB articles together I wil now have photos with a tear down the centre, a HUGE retrograde step.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

James Makin's excellent Wells Green TMD also features in this issue and a few more unpublished snaps are now showing on the MRL wesbite at https://www.model-ra...by_James_Makin/

One of George's favourites when browsing last night at bedtime - "Lectric Daddy?" :)

You have taught him well Obi-Wan

I did explain a little on the opening page of MI and also in a topic on here where you could have voted one way or the other.

Hi Andy

Just been looking at the opening page and you say there was a 4 to 1 vote in favour of Landscape format, perhaps the next issue could go back to that, also, could you consider doing the LB photos as part of the normal online MI6 perhaps? However, Don't let my post distract from the brilliant job you do of MI though.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Just downloaded my copy....no problems for me!

I went into WH Smiths on St Davids station at Exeter yesterday, and down-loaded a copy of BRM into my rucksack...

I sat down in the train home and booted up the ruck-sack, and proceeded to upload the content of the magazine... there were no issues getting the page layout configured to suit my Reading Glasses 2.0 software... :P

What a superb issue.

'Hudson Road' has long been a favourite layout, and just looking at the excellent photos chills me to the bone...

Two other very useful 'how to' articles by top RMWeb contributors (Re6/6 and Pugsley), plus the superb images of Little Bytham and Leamington. Well worth the cover price (and I didn't even succumb to the usual WHS offer of a bag load of chocolates for a pound... ;) )

If the majority vote re MI was in favour of landscape format, this suggests that democracy does not work! I'm sorry but I see nothing wrong with turning the page through 90 degrees to present an illustration at its best and a great deal wrong with having part of the picture disappearing into the crevice caused by perfect binding.

Chris

I'm in a no-win situation with this it appears. I wanted to take into account those who didn't like the landscape format and looked at using some images in portrait form mixed in with a few double-page spreads with a wish to make MI feel more integrated. Some folk who had voted for landscape have privately said to me that they can see where I was coming from and prefer the amended treatment. It's not to say democracy doesn't work Chris but sometimes I want to experiment a little to see what can be done.

Passing through WHS today there was fortuitously a copy that had been liberated from the p**** **g so I could browse... I have to say I was disappointed by the MI format change this time: as well as the issue of spoiling two page images, it blended in with rest of the mag too well and just didn't have the impact of the previous print editions which stood out as something new and unique. In the end I bought another mag this month...

... ... to make MI feel more integrated.

But surely the USP of MI was that it WAS something different that stood out and wasn't just another part of the mag as per your own words in the format poll thread...

it's a distinguishing attribute

sometimes I want to experiment a little to see what can be done.

Fair enough it was worth a try, but in this case I don't think it has worked. You get some credit for the confidence to try something different, but even more credit for acknowledging with hindsight it wasn't the way to go. Given the significant margin in favour of landscape in that poll and the feedback now, I would plead for a return to landscape.

Paul

Archived