BRM January 2013 issue

SteveCole

Just to add to my earlier comments - I have now watched the free DVD and really enjoyed it! I liked the way it was presented with the team who built the layout each contributing their area of expertise. Not all of the sections were of direct interest to me but I enjoyed it all the same so (without wanting to wind up anyone who didn't get one!) thanks for including it and thanks to those who contributed to/produced it!

• Administrators

carnt seem to get hold off a copy today,tried tesco and wh smiths,,no luck as yet,,ave to look around the local newsagents tomoz,,

Let me know if you still struggle. I'll see if I can get a list of stockists in your area.

Steve

So impressed with the magazine of late, and also because of its association now with RMweb......I have taken out my first ever Model Railway magazine subscription, of course with BRM.

Well done guys......keep up the good work, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Got it yesterday and had my nose stuck in it since.

Superb issue with a load of great stuff including some of my favorite layouts - Wells Green and Glenuig.  Loved the Little Bytham article - sublime photography - an excellent insight into Tony's methods.  

Keep this quality up guys - BRM is fast becoming the best modelling magazine by far.

Hello-Im from Jersey (C.I) and am new to this forum. Ive read the Jan 2013 issue and enjoyed the article on "Wells Green TMD". One of the inserts was asking opinion on modelling graffiti-good or bad? As railway modellers, the aim is often (but not always-depending on choice) to create a factual scale representation of history. Graffiti, like it or not along with all its social ills, is part of that history. I cant see why any railway modeller would even wish to try it for real. The only thing I would say that if the layout is to be publically displayed or photograped for a magazine that the modelled graffiti is not offensive I.e racially or sexually in any way. Also if graffiti is to be modelled, it might be worth making it relevent to period modelled-eg 70s layouts should maybe contain "Punk rock" themed graffiti or location-eg a specific football team.

I was also impressed with the little cameos such as the police scene and the children playing on the track-these really did bring the layout to life and give it that "living and breathing in the time" feel. I dont feel it inappropriate to model such scenes as again, they are part of what is being represented in this model.

One of my past layouts was a section of urban fictitious mainline, depicting a line out of Paddington, running over an arched viaduct with streets below and was set in the 1940s at the height of the blitz. It contained a row of bombed houses, with scenes of the aftermath of this-no stations as was living at home and limited for space-never did the political correctness of this ever cross my mind. My main interest is GWR/Western but have never been a fan of the "chocolate box branchline termini" scenario!

Whilst modern traction is not my main area of modelling intrest,this one certainly got my attention!

Hello-Im from Jersey (C.I) and am new to this forum. Ive read the Jan 2013 issue and enjoyed the article on "Wells Green TMD". One of the inserts was asking opinion on modelling graffiti-good or bad? As railway modellers, the aim is often (but not always-depending on choice) to create a factual scale representation of history. Graffiti, like it or not along with all its social ills, is part of that history. I cant see why any railway modeller would even wish to try it for real. The only thing I would say that if the layout is to be publically displayed or photograped for a magazine that the modelled graffiti is not offensive I.e racially or sexually in any way. Also if graffiti is to be modelled, it might be worth making it relevent to period modelled-eg 70s layouts should maybe contain "Punk rock" themed graffiti or location-eg a specific football team.

I was also impressed with the little cameos such as the police scene and the children playing on the track-these really did bring the layout to life and give it that "living and breathing in the time" feel. I dont feel it inappropriate to model such scenes as again, they are part of what is being represented in this model.

One of my past layouts was a section of urban fictitious mainline, depicting a line out of Paddington, running over an arched viaduct with streets below and was set in the 1940s at the height of the blitz. It contained a row of bombed houses, with scenes of the aftermath of this-no stations as was living at home and limited for space-never did the political correctness of this ever cross my mind. My main interest is GWR/Western but have never been a fan of the "chocolate box branchline termini" scenario!

Whilst modern traction is not my main area of modelling intrest,this one certainly got my attention!

Welcome aboard, "Hospital Train", I like your introductory comments.....but they would also be well placed in the "New members" section, where I'm sure you will get a warm welcome from a few other members too.

Rgds.....Bob.

I've just enjoyed reading the 'Glimpse of Wisbech & Upwell' in the January magazine. On p53 of that article there is a small photo of various magazines, one of which includes a piece entitled 'A tram loco for the W&U' and seems to be about converting a Thomas 'Toby' into a J70. I have a spare 'Toby' and I'm tempted to try this, but the photo is too small for me to identify the magazine. Does anyone know which magazine and when that piece appeared?

Many thanks,

Alan

I've just enjoyed reading the 'Glimpse of Wisbech & Upwell' in the January magazine. On p53 of that article there is a small photo of various magazines, one of which includes a piece entitled 'A tram loco for the W&U' and seems to be about converting a Thomas 'Toby' into a J70. I have a spare 'Toby' and I'm tempted to try this, but the photo is too small for me to identify the magazine. Does anyone know which magazine and when that piece appeared?

Many thanks,

Alan

If you enjoyed the Wisbech article, have you seen this thread? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/4652-outwell-village/page-3

steve

Archived