Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • steve fay changed the title to Stephen Fay’s layouts and dioramas work bench
  • RMweb Premium

I have just spent the last few hours reading through this thread and some great great modelling. I remember seeing various dioramas/layouts of yours in magazines over the years and it was all part of my conversion to O gauge. Been so interesting to start to understand how the results are achieved. 
Can I ask why you leave Ballasting till last? When most other people recommend ballasting first. Is it simply that’s the way it’s done in the real world so looks more realistic for it?

Thanks for all the inspiration you have provided. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words, always nice to know I’ve inspired others. 
To be honest the only reason I’ve left the ballast is because I didn’t have any here ( ordered today ) 

I don’t think there’s a right time or wrong time but I do find if the ballast is done first the static grass tends to get stuck in the ballast and even a good hoovering doesn’t always remove it.  Not an issue if the greenery is a good distance from the track. 

Edited by steve fay
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

New year soon so time for a new project,  something I’ve wanted to do for 25 years or more. 
If you read the article on Mermaid Cove there’s a big clue right at the end 
Im thinking 10’ this time. Going to need a few trees on this one.  

A97F5B68-BF4E-4AC4-A90A-96A6A460CDFD.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, steve fay said:

Just like that, between that bridge and the one the photographer is stood on. 

I took that back when I lived in Reading for a year, so will be watching with interest. I generally took photos a bit further up the line as there were a couple of lower bridges at the Twyford end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

I took that back when I lived in Reading for a year, so will be watching with interest. I generally took photos a bit further up the line as there were a couple of lower bridges at the Twyford end.

I did consider doing some of the lower bridges but it’s the iconic steel bridge and the Kink in the track that is so recognisable even if you don’t know the name of the place. 
the lower bridges would make better scenic brakes so some creative thinking will be needed, maybe some mirrors or something. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Peco flat bottom track has been ordered for the up and down main,  I’ll use C& L on the relief lines. I’ve  also

ordered a forest in a box kit as I’m going to need a lot of trees on this one and I think this will be the most cost effective way of filling in the space.  I will also be using plenty of trees from the cracking MBR range. 

• Like 2

I was looking on the web site yesterday

Im not sure now post Brexit if there will be customs charges as they come direct from Poland. 
there is a UK based shop that advertises they are a stockist but they never seem to have much stock so I’ve always gone direct. 

• Informative/Useful 3

Track arrived so did a Forrest in a box kit, looks good so I’ve ordered 2 more. Plus I’ve been out pruning some real trees to make model trees, these will have to dry out for a few weeks before being treated with a wood preservative and then foliage added.

7380C29C-BB58-450C-9726-3C3D0CD2ACE0.jpeg

B0D1A5A2-828B-45DB-8006-89C9844B0F4B.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...