Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

4 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Steve, I was thinking of redoing my sea wall with this product from Redutex which to my eyes looks like the walls on the Teignmouth section. Any thoughts yourself please.

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-107020/brick-random-stone-beige-weathered-redutex-076sl121.htm

If you do then you'll need to pick a fine week, it can get rather stormy down there ! :lol:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The last of the big trees arrived today, again made by Mike Whatton. 

I need another 4 or 5 from MBR to complete all of the trees. 

First of the tunnel mouths is also going through the paint shop 

40C91C55-5865-42A4-BD7D-E300F27B4B85.jpeg

FB3612ED-D3A3-4D08-B96A-41625D112E61.jpeg

• Like 7

Back to the first section Smugglers retreat and I’ve finally had the coping stones to complete the wall top, Fencing in place as well although I’ve got to add the last two panels once the tunnel mouth arrives.

4C2E2351-57BC-4FFE-92C5-904E300643BB.jpeg

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/05/2019 at 17:05, Adrian Stevenson said:

Picked up a copy of  Model rail: nice to see that the model is going to be extended and exhibited in the future.

Cheers, Ade.

The new owner of Mermaid Cove has already started on the fiddle yards / cassette options for exhibition use. 

Im not sure when their first Exhibition will be but I will post up details as and when I know.

As for the Riviera line I’m still waiting on laser cut parts to finish up the three sections. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Tunnel mouth template sent off to the laser cutters, 

E22490F7-2EB0-4B77-840E-2BA5B371B623.png

A few more trees planted on Holcombe Cove, overall I need another 12 to finish the layout over all 3 boards. 
These will all be from the MBR Range.  
As the layout is nearing completion thoughts turn to its future,  Ideally I’d love to find a club who could have it permanently set up in an oval so we could run trains.  With my 6th MRI scan booked and the possibility of more surgery in the future taking it to Exhibition’s is going to be to much for me plus I don’t have the room at home to store the curve and fiddle yard sections.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi Steve.

I have enjoyed watching this layout grow especially so as it is just along the coast from where I live (Torquay). When I moved down here more than 50 years ago steam was very, very rare with all the trains diesel hauled but I do remember a long freight hauled by a 2-8-0 loco making its way along the sea wall but I was too far away to positively identify it. This whole line from my side of Exeter to Newton Abbot is just fantastic and it always brought a sigh of  relief to me when emerging along the River Exe after every one of  my weekly trips to my London office knowing that I was nearly home.

Great modelling Steve - you could not have chosen a more beautiful stretch of railway to model. This comes from a modeller who is a BR (M) region so praise indeed!!!

Rod

• Like 3

Funny you should mention Dainton sidings,  A friend of mine has drawn up a rough sketch in templot although I don’t think it would ever get done with out having the space some where. 

Here’s two shots that didn’t make the Model Rail article and the cover shot 

pictures remain the copyright © of Chris Nevard / Model Rail.  

B167F986-A243-4B9B-9653-DA5BB331B12E.jpeg

F30A9959-F9D5-4C44-9649-7F35BE76056A.jpeg

187094BC-C422-4132-B458-8604679C5207.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

That looks magnificent Steve and as for Dainton Sidings it is something that would be rather nice if I had the available space. Always drooled over Michael Heaven's creation.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I bought Model Rail today on the strength of this being in the issue and wasn't disappointed. I take it the words were fashioned through a telephone conversation you had Steve with Chris Gadsby. That might explain the Atlantic Ocean instead of The English Channel mentioned being modelled.:read: Lovely photos of your superb modelling.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

The Riviera line has been sold on and will be completed by some one else,  it’s a shame I couldn’t finish it but I’m glad it’s got a new home and the new owner may even get it on the Exhibition circuit. 

An unforeseen house sale has forced the curtailment of all projects at the moment and for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by steve fay
  • Friendly/supportive 8