Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

Glad to hear that the layout has been taken over by a new owner and won't just be scrapped. Very sorry to hear that you are involved in a house move and that we will not be seeing your fine work on RMweb for the foreseeable future. I hope that everything goes well and that you will be back as soon as you can. I am sure that all the followers of your various threads will agree with me when I say that your work has been inspirational and that we will all miss you.

Rod 

• Agree 10

On 27/07/2019 at 10:02, class27 said:

Steve

I will definitely miss seeing your work. I hope you are able to be back soon

best wishes

Steve S 

Ditto to that!!

All the best Steve

Regards, Deano.

On 10/12/2018 at 19:10, steve fay said:

post-5983-0-51239200-1544468944_thumb.jpeg

Add the backscene on permanently and we are done! Back to the sea wall after Christmas

I have a reason to like 70020 Mercury, but every time I see a picture of a Britannia, real or model, it's never Mercury! No.19 is as close as I've seen!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi everyone,  well I’m pleased

to say that the layout has gone to a new owner who has also purchased the 8 coach mk1 set and intends on exhibiting the Riviera line and if I can I will join him at certain shows in the future. 
on a personal note I am now settled in my new home and although I have sold on some of my models to fund house essentials  the cull has now ended.  It’s a real shame I couldn’t finish the layout and I had to cancel the layouts invitation to this years Bristol show but modelling has been very much at the back of my mind for the last few months but the interest is coming back now and I’ve even made a new purchase of something from my childhood days but that’s a story for another day.  

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

1 hour ago, steve fay said:

Hi everyone,  well I’m pleased

to say that the layout has gone to a new owner who has also purchased the 8 coach mk1 set and intends on exhibiting the Riviera line and if I can I will join him at certain shows in the future. 
on a personal note I am now settled in my new home and although I have sold on some of my models to fund house essentials  the cull has now ended.  It’s a real shame I couldn’t finish the layout and I had to cancel the layouts invitation to this years Bristol show but modelling has been very much at the back of my mind for the last few months but the interest is coming back now and I’ve even made a new purchase of something from my childhood days but that’s a story for another day.  

Don't say you're going to return to a Hornby O train set!:lol:

Brian.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi Steve, I must say you really are a talented modeller! I'm looking to do some JLTRT kit building for a future Dawlish based railway. You seem to know your Western Region well, did 42/52XXs operate in that area much in the late 50s? I love the look of them but of course if its not prototypical then let me know.

Connor.  

• Like 1

Thanks, I had a look at the Great Western Archives and there was indeed a few allocated to St. Blazey at different periods in time. I’ll keep that in mind when I go to get the kit at some point. Before I get to that I wanted some sort of entry into 7mm kit building, looking at doing an 8750. Hopefully thats ‘simple’ enough for my first go at etched kits. Anyway this is probably enough off topic talk for your Riviera thread! Is there a place for general questions?

Connor.

Edited by Connor Robinson
Just trying to learn my way how to use the forum.

Hi Steve, thanks for your advice. I'm honestly having a bit of trouble navigating RMWeb, is there a way to see all your current topics?

So I did a bit more reading and I'm utterly confused with all the different variations of pannier. There's two available from MM1, the 57XX and the 8750. From what I know the 8750 is just a variation of the 57XX (taller cab, rectangular windows, grills, etc). I was looking at the 8750 because it has that resin type boiler, though from some information I read on GWR Archive none were allocated to 'Newton Abbot Division' sheds. As I plan to model Dawlish I imagine this would look out of place? This whole "Which pannier do I buy" debacle is giving me a headache. Sorry for all the questions and madness.

Connor.

Nevermind, turns out I missed the "." in St. Blazey, where 8783 was for most of it's life, though it is a fair distance from Dawlish and I gather it probably didn't go up there. Whats more is that the 57XX does come with a resin boiler after all. So now I just have to decide which one I want. I think I'll go with whatever was more frequently sighted around Dawlish, which would have been the 57XX? I'm modelling the early BR era (1948-1956), probably closer to the end of that era so I have an excuse to build a 9F at some point. 

So disregarding all that waffle in my previous post, which pannier should I build, the 57XX or the 8750.

My apologies for all the craziness, I just don't know which one I should do!

Connor.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Connor Robinson said:

Nevermind, turns out I missed the "." in St. Blazey, where 8783 was for most of it's life, though it is a fair distance from Dawlish and I gather it probably didn't go up there. Whats more is that the 57XX does come with a resin boiler after all. So now I just have to decide which one I want. I think I'll go with whatever was more frequently sighted around Dawlish, which would have been the 57XX? I'm modelling the early BR era (1948-1956), probably closer to the end of that era so I have an excuse to build a 9F at some point. 

So disregarding all that waffle in my previous post, which pannier should I build, the 57XX or the 8750.

My apologies for all the craziness, I just don't know which one I should do!

Connor.

There is a little book available British Railways Steam Allocations that gives their sheds at various dates including 1955.

There werent actually that many panniers based down there but a few between Newton Abbot, Exeter and Laira. Also worth noting that St Blazeys 57xx were mostly of the rivetted type - effectively a 3rd variant. I would have said the later cab was more common, but only based on my recollection of photos.

Skimming through the book, 9623 was based at Newton Abbot.

If you want accuracy find a photo and model that or the more tried and tested approach when starting out - just do what you fancy!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Simond said:

Minerva offer a 7mm RTR rivetted tank 57/67xx which looks the part.  Not the same satisfaction as building your own, of course, but it does get you going.

atb

Simon

Dapol have brought a rivetted out now as well. There are also other kits than MM1 too.

I've only seen St Blazey's on local clay workings and occasional passenger work (eg on the Newquay branch) - I doubt they would have been at Dawlish with any regularity. 

3 hours ago, Simond said:

Minerva offer a 7mm RTR rivetted tank 57/67xx which looks the part.

Thanks all for your replies, I agree there are quite a few good RTR Panniers out there. The reason I want to kit build one is because I’m trying to get some experience in kit building. This is so I can build other models that you won’t find RTR like Kings and Castles. Yes I know there are some, but they cost an obscene amount of money for what I can afford. Plus, yes, I would like the satisfaction of building it, having built Airfix kits and enjoyed it a lot.

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I doubt they would have been at Dawlish with any regularity. 

As I suspected, Dawlish is a fair hike from St. Blazey.

30 minutes ago, bgman said:

This may either help or hinder ?

I’ll be sure to take a read as all these variations are making my head spin.

In conclusion, I have a choice between the 57xx and the 8750. It seems that the 57xx were a more common sight and some were even shedded near Dawlish, i.e: Exeter, Newton Abbot. So I’ll probably go with the 57, just need to pick a number that fits the place and time!

Any suggestions? I’ve found a few discrepancies in the GWR archives based on some of Steves other posts so if you someone has a photo please post.

Thanks again!

Connor.

I’m sure Either Newton abbot it’s Exeter would have both types of panniers allocated during your time period, as has been mentioned getting a shed allocation book for your time period would be a good start.  Other than that I’ll trawl google searching for images 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, steve fay said:

I’m sure Either Newton abbot it’s Exeter would have both types of panniers allocated during your time period, as has been mentioned getting a shed allocation book for your time period would be a good start.  Other than that I’ll trawl google searching for images 

I did a quick image search and didnt find much which I suspect means they weren't all that common down there. 

I did read recently a comment about there only being 2 or 3 early cabs at one point in the early 50s but cant remember if that was referring to St Blazey, Cornwall or the West Country. Certainly a very, very quick scan of my shed code book for ones starting 83 threw up very few.