Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

As I'm keeping Gaer junction for my self I thought I need to build up some suitable stock to run on it.

I decided to get a few Regent tankers off Heljan as they had a flow from Roath docks Cardiff to Birmingham which was a regular turn for 92220 evening Star whilst shedded at Canton. I need to add quite a few more yet though!

post-5983-0-54161700-1454874772_thumb.jpeg

These tankers will have the JLTRT tap castings added to the ends shortly

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the one for Ranelagh bridge redone now and hopefully some plates for a scratch built crane.post-5983-0-60705100-1456431962_thumb.jpeg

My dad built this it's not based on any particular prototype but it will form part of my engineers train, needs some titivating and a few more coats of paint and hopefully some nice etch plates.

More stock for Gaer junction

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 5

I've had a quote for the plates for the engineers crane from Narrow planet and promptly paid it as it was a very very good price.

About the only thing I will buy off Guilplates now are their WR ornate titled trains head boards.

Once I've painted up my signal box plate I will do a comparison with the Guilplates offering. I've ordered a replacement plate for Ranelagh Bridge now as well.

Edited by steve fay

post-5983-0-91673100-1457032960_thumb.jpeg

The engineers crane after a bit of work, new heavy duty buffers a few castings here & there, some plastic section, a few more coats of paint & I put the transfers on today and it just needs screw link couplings etch plates and some dirt to finish it off. It should look good on the back of a ballast trainpost-5983-0-24900000-1457033194_thumb.jpeg

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 7

Steve, although not finished the mouth of the tunnel is great - I remember being posted at the signal leading to the tunnel in1996 when acting as hand signalman, so had plenty of time to admire tunnel mouth, waiting for the next train to arrive an me to issue a Temporary Block Working ticket - cutting leading to tunnel (either end) I always found dismal, irrespective of the weather.

Keep up the great work, can't wait to see finished. Paul

The Regent tank train is now up to 10 wagons. A good length train at 6 foot but I want to double it and add a brake van. This will be a good train for Gaer Junction.

post-5983-0-49131600-1458409840_thumb.jpeg

Both sides of Severn tunnel east are now resplendent in gloss black. I will leave it to harden over the weekend and get on with track laying next week.

• Like 8

post-5983-0-98322700-1458762188_thumb.jpeg

Don't you hate it when you run out of ballast!! More on order hopefully tomorrow. This is the new Dapol 7mm ballast and is very good.

The other board is done so I can start tidying the ballast removing any bits on top of the sleepers etc. The ATC ramp can then go down. The small timber walls will be cladded in the same concrete printed paper I used on the pits on canton.

I'm happy to say that this project has already found a buyer so I best do a good job as he goes through the tunnel almost on a daily basis!!

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 6