Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

That's what I'm going for. A lot of layouts go for the late summer when everything is more monotone in colour. The GW and later WR would burn off large areas of grass on embankments then of course there would be accidental fires, In those areas new growth would spring up rapidly as the ash would provide a lot of nutrients to the ground.

That's what I'm going for. A lot of layouts go for the late summer when everything is more monotone in colour. The GW and later WR would burn off large areas of grass on embankments then of course there would be accidental fires, In those areas new growth would spring up rapidly as the ash would provide a lot of nutrients to the ground.

When I was on the PW gang at Newton Abbot (NA2 Gang) we mowed the cuttings with scythes in the summer, so the spring flowers were over by then and not harmed. We didn't actually burn off at that period (early 1970s) but it was all kept pretty short, which of course encouraged the primroses and bluebells next year. And our perway was immaculate - perfect paths in the cess, and not a piece of ballast allowed on the sleepers. What a mess the lineside is these days, in comparison!

John

• Like 1

I'm no keen steam fan, however have to admit that the WR is a beautiful part of the network to model, and that pic of the cutting embankment looks very realistic. Just hitting like didn't feel like enough!

Paragon

When I was on the PW gang at Newton Abbot (NA2 Gang) we mowed the cuttings with scythes in the summer, so the spring flowers were over by then and not harmed. We didn't actually burn off at that period (early 1970s) but it was all kept pretty short, which of course encouraged the primroses and bluebells next year. And our perway was immaculate - perfect paths in the cess, and not a piece of ballast allowed on the sleepers. What a mess the lineside is these days, in comparison!

John

I know about this time they banned the burning of stubble, so it may of been the same with embankment burning.

• RMweb Gold

I know about this time they banned the burning of stubble, so it may of been the same with embankment burning.

No. embankment burning ceased for two reasons.  One was the end of steam traction which eliminated the need to reduce potential fire hazards and the other was the risk (and actual incidence of) damage to S&T cables.  In fact the first areas where bank burning was banned were where there was a big risk of cable damage (and where steam traction was still active).

Many gangs used to clear by scythe anyway but as gang sizes were reduced/replaced by mechanised maintenance and old skills were lost it gradually ceased.

Related to Pete's post above, I went to Cranfield in 1980 / 81 and the local farmers were still stubble-burning then.

(Nothing to do with railways, the local line had long gone)

Best

Simon

post-5983-0-31868500-1462913528.jpegpost-5983-0-71697100-1462913542.jpegpost-5983-0-96668400-1462913558.jpeg

On with stock for Gaer Junction, the Banana train. First up is a JLTRT BR van.

I've added the body castings all 4 of them and we are into the paint shop! Now to dry on the radiator. I've added some of the castings on to the under frame but I can't go any further until I have the wheels as this one has clasp brakes.

I have another one of these kits to build but a different diagram number.

JLTRT are going to add the LMS banana van and some GW versions to their range.

I intend to add a peco GW banana van and the odd southern parkside for a little variety.

• Like 4

Looking good Steve, I have a Parkside SR Banana van somewhere in my procurements.

The JLTRT kits are really rather good. Not a lot of work is required to get something looking the part.

I used Peartree wheels on mine and had to recess the bearings into the back of the axle box a bit. 

Jinty ;)

Hi Steve,

Those JLTRT vans look like very nice simple kits but I was wondering if it is difficult to get the W irons sitting square on the under frame?

Do you use an etch primer on the white metal and under frame prior to spraying your top coat?

Cheers

Lee

No I don't have any issues with the W irons. Up until now I just use a grey primer on the under frame then black. Its not an etch primer and I haven't had any issues with paint flaking.

I use £ shop grey primer and Matt black. There paints are great, in fact you have to be quick because the car guys by it by the crate load.

I should have said I do wash the resin parts before painting.

Edited by steve fay

I intend to add a peco GW banana van and the odd southern parkside for a little variety.

Steve

If you get the Peco van kit (ex-Webster) watch out for the buffers provided. In my kit they were impossible to assemble as the buffer heads did not fit the bodies and I wasted a day having to re-drill and re-finish them.

John

Thanks Jon I will keep a look out for that. I think it's W606 from the peco range, it states that some were converted for both banana and fish traffic so I was going to do one of each.

Edited by steve fay

Thanks Jon I will keep a look out for that. I think it's W606 from the peco range, it states that some were converted for both banan and fish traffic so I was going to do one of each.

That's the one, Steve. I may just have been unlucky with a QC issue, the rest of the kit was very good and the quality of the plastic body mouldings was superb. The buffer heads and shanks are steel, and they fit into a turned brass body. The shanks would not go through the hole in the lower part of the brass body, and the larger diameter part of the assembly would not fit either. I very nearly gave up on it in sheer frustration - on reflection, it would have been simpler to cut off the moulded bases on the headstocks and fit four new buffers from another supplier.

John

Thanks Jon I will keep a look out for that. I think it's W606 from the peco range, it states that some were converted for both banana and fish traffic so I was going to do one of each.

Hi Steve,

John's right the Peco buffers aren't the best.

If you have any difficulties I have a couple of Peco underframe kits here that I've pinched bits and bobs out of, and the buffers are still here and in the bags which you're welcome to if you need them.

Jinty ;)

I wonder if any one can shed a light on the Ice blue livery for certain fish vans? When did it appear? attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hi Steve,

They were painted white initially, but it was thought that they looked too dirty for vehicles carrying food, so in 1963 they started painting them Ice Blue. The time it took to repaint the amount of stock meant that white livery stayed around a good while.

Jinty ;)

Thanks you Jinty,

I could possibly have 1 or 2 freshly painted up.

Gaer Junction will be set in the 1960/ 64 period. The Grimsby South Wales fish was often made up of both GW and LNER vehicles.

Edited by steve fay

• RMweb Gold

Thanks you Jinty,

I could possibly have 1 or 2 freshly painted up.

Gaer Junction will be set in the 1960/ 64 period. The Grimsby South Wales fish was often made up of both GW and LNER vehicles.

Don't forget the layout and signals (and signalbox) changed substantially at Gaer Jcn in November 1961 

Thanks Mike, yes I am aware of that. As I will only be doing from Hillfield tunnels to the foot bridge that shouldn't affect me to much.

I'd love to go right to the Cardiff road bridge but I don't have the room.

I have looked at pictures of the gantry signals from pre & post 61 and there is no change as the main and reliefs just changed positions.

Edited by steve fay

Yes Mike you are correct there, that's fine for me as I want to add the western valleys services and it ties in with my current stock mainly the King, Brittania & castles. There will be a few things slightly out of period as I want some 68ers (37's).

I've ordered the Polak items direct, they have a UK based agent and he is on here and has kept in touch with me. We are just waiting on the stock to arrive.