Bourton on the Water model shop

mswjr

Hi all, Ive got to thank this model shop here in glos,I wanted the wainwright class c model in lined green,(i seen it at the svr gala and fell in love) Thought i would get it with some xmas money in january,Then reading threads on this forum i seen that it was selling out fast,So i phoned around and all solded out, Then i remembered the shop in bouton, About 10 miles fron me in cheltenham, And they had just one remaining, and were kind enough to put it back for me to pick up, they could have sold it to anyone knowing how fast they were selling, So a big thankyou to them and highly recomended, im very happy Garry

• Like 1

I support this shop! Some time ago I bought their last 'Apollo'. On un-boxing I discovered that one of the lamp irons was missing. This is not a standard 'spare' but some days later Bourton Model Rail posted out a replacement part - complete with detailed recommendations for fitting. They are definitely on my list of internet shops.

Ray

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just discovered this shop whilst trying to source an A1 Tornado.

Very helpful and friendly over the phone and quick to dispatch, although they did point out that it would be delayed due to New Year's Holiday.  The package is now in the post and I await it's arrival.

When I have time, and the weather is with me, I'll head on up on the bike.

• 2 months later...

Second mail order from them - ordered yesterday at 4.45pm, and arrived here 12.30pm today. So fast, reasonable price, very well packed, and a good alternative to the usual box shifters as far as I can see.

Usual disclaimers - no connection, satisfied customer etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Even me on the other side of the world has been to this shop. Agreed great shop and a lovely location except for when the coach loads of OAP's show up then Bourton on the Water is not nice. Lower Slaughter is much better although they have no model shop. So buy your models and head for Lower Slaughter for some piece and tranquility, or at least it was 6 years ago. 

• 1 year later...

A first class service received from this retailer after a Google search for an item threw up this shop.First time customer and I highly recommend them as the stuff I bought was competitively priced.

http://www.bourtonmodelrailway.co.uk/

Yes I can second that - I've bought three or four items from them over the past couple of years and service has always been excellent. It is also a good place to look for things that might be long out of stock elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Bourton on the Water is a terrific day out. We go there sometimes, the kiddies love the bird centre and model village, and the car museum is worth a look. While it may be a bit twee and touristy it is nevertheless a lovely little town.

The model shop is well stocked and the staff are helpful, it is the sort of shop I suspect many of us once took for granted which is increasingly rare.

A nice town, a beautiful area, loads for the family and a great model shop, what is not to like?!!

• 4 weeks later...

I often find places like Bourton on the Water and Haworth is another are great places very early in the morning before the hoards arrive. They really have a lovely tranquil atmosphere about them. It's so nice to look into the shop windows when you 're the only one about. Being an early riser helps.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 2

Does the vintage open-top AEC Regal still run? Bourton is lovely but very hectic in the season. Last time I went I got a rollicking from a copper for failing to give way to oncoming traffic at a traffic-calming obstruction. The sign was hidden in the bushes and I was still in shock from having seen the lovely station building being knocked down. Still, at least I didn't get a ticket.

CHRIS LEIGH

Is not the G/WR rebuilding the station in preparation for their tracks reaching Bourton?  Model shops in tourist areas are useful refuges while the family takes in the rest of the sights.  Whenever we come home on holiday its useful to find one fairly easily as opposed to trudging around some unfamiliar city looking for one.

Happy new year

Brian.

You're right about Bourton being hectic in the season which is why I headed to Lower Slaughter which was much calmer and welcoming to people who don't like the maddening crowds at Bourton. If the station has gone other than the model shop why would one go to Bourton.

Is not the G/WR rebuilding the station in preparation for their tracks reaching Bourton?  Model shops in tourist areas are useful refuges while the family takes in the rest of the sights.  Whenever we come home on holiday its useful to find one fairly easily as opposed to trudging around some unfamiliar city looking for one.

Happy new year

Brian.

You're thinking of Broadway. The GWR was going to re-erect the Bourton station building at Broadway but changed its mind and so a unique and attractive building got bulldozed. 

• RMweb Premium

Bourton unfortunately is like most touristy small towns, congested on nice days and dominated by tourists however it is a very nice place and there are reasons it attracts visitors. Many of the towns in the Northern National Parks suffer from the same problem of being a bit too touristy. I would still recommend Bourton as a splendid day out and the model shop is very good.