RR&CO V8 now available

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Freiwald now has V8 of the software available for registered users:

Download and play!

Keith

EDIT: Can confirm it loads fine on W7.

After entering the long code when first run it will operate from the stick only afterwards.

• RMweb Gold

So the first fix pack has been made available already - 8.0A2. Judging by how many new entries there are on the RR&Co forum referencing V8 problems I think I'll wait a bit longer!

Plus it seems to me that all the new stuff is in the Gold version? I'm only on Silver so I'm wondering what's in it for me without upgrading to Gold at the same time.

At least the prices for us UK users are now the same as everyone else in Europe! Or rather the rest of Europe now has to pay the UK price. :)

• RMweb Premium

So the first fix pack has been made available already - 8.0A2. Judging by how many new entries there are on the RR&Co forum referencing V8 problems I think I'll wait a bit longer!

Plus it seems to me that all the new stuff is in the Gold version? I'm only on Silver so I'm wondering what's in it for me without upgrading to Gold at the same time.

At least the prices for us UK users are now the same as everyone else in Europe! Or rather the rest of Europe now has to pay the UK price. :)

I was wondering how long it would be. As you mention there has been quite a few "bugs" raised on the Freiwald Forum.

Keith

Some interesting one.

One that caught my eye, talking of UK v Europe, the formula for braking stopping distances did not work correctly for imperial units.

It seems it sort of does now but you must remember to add 'in' next to the distance figure to make sure the software knows you are talking inches when the software is set up for imperial measurements.

Only just getting to play as I have been away since it was released.

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting one.

One that caught my eye, talking of UK v Europe, the formula for braking stopping distances did not work correctly for imperial units.

It seems it sort of does now but you must remember to add 'in' next to the distance figure to make sure the software knows you are talking inches when the software is set up for imperial measurements.

Only just getting to play as I have been away since it was released.

Yes I noticed that, it seems a silly quirk of the software.

There's another bug reported by a chap in Switzerland (Yann &co) which has appeared post release of the update regarding on/off switch and he also gets an odd pop-up message!

I am going to have my first play tonight, so fingers crossed!

RE availability of downloads (mentioned in our PMs) the desktop with the e-mail seems to be able to go straight to version 8 sometimes and sometimes not, currently it does although it is still only loaded with V7 F8 and no mem stick connected! Very odd.

Keith

I had some problems using V8 A1 with stopping distances, but with A2 all is running to the same standard as before with V7. I use "inches" for measurements for no reason other than I always have.

One minor issue is that "Dr Railroad" reports possible conflict with Norton 360 and advises turning it off which did make a difference with A1 but not currently discernable with A2.

Now to explore all the new possibilities.

Hi Ticket Man,

Yes, the problem with stopping distances and formulas were all interrelated but do now appear to be fixed.

I have had twenty minutes this morning to play for the first time and now being dragged off to do Christmas tree putting up etc ready for some minor event coming up. I suppose I had better do as I am told otherwise my two week holiday for which I hope to get some serious playing done could well be in trouble. :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Spent 2 ½ hours last night but didn't have much chance to try out anything new.

As soon as I started Dr Railroad reported several of my schedules were incomplete e.g. No start block or no end block. In one case neither!

Only cure was to delete them and re-do. Don't think it was anything to do with version 8 though.

I was hoping to look at the formulae for stopping distances as that would be very useful to get locos at the right position on trains in a station.

Ended up printing out the change manual as it is much easier to refer to paper than on screen.

Keith

Good evening ,

I guess we are getting V8 running the way we want after all the little hiccups earlier on.

However I cannot see a way round the fact that it is no longer possible to open up a layout in V8 on a remote computer in order to try out a little bit of programming that has just come to mind. Frustrating as I will not be carrying the USB stick around with me, it stays permanently with the layout.

Just for reference I still use the Lenz 100 system with all loco/occupancy detection via DCC4PC Railcom Readers.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening ,

I guess we are getting V8 running the way we want after all the little hiccups earlier on.

However I cannot see a way round the fact that it is no longer possible to open up a layout in V8 on a remote computer in order to try out a little bit of programming that has just come to mind. Frustrating as I will not be carrying the USB stick around with me, it stays permanently with the layout.

Just for reference I still use the Lenz 100 system with all loco/occupancy detection via DCC4PC Railcom Readers.

As I understand it the demo version of V8 will be available next month, so we will then be able once again to use a remote PC without the license stick to do some testing offline.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

New update 8.0A3 is now available on the website.  This now looks like the "general release" version too, as it now supports demo mode again. 

Don't forget when visiting the TC download page to refresh it in IE if it still shows 8.0A2 - that page will have been picked out of your IE cache.

Archived